Sign in to follow this  
Glen Schultzberg

Beetle Bailey Hemisfair Reference

I missed that. I wonder if the cartoonist just chose a date at random or was actually referring to HemisFair '68?

I hope this hasn't already been posted anywhere else, but did anyone else notice the little '68 World's Fair reference in Friday's (Jan 29) Beetle Bailey comic? Hopefully this link wil lead you to it:

http://www.arcamax.com/beetlebailey/s-685419-732288

108729.gif

Suppose I could have posted this in Festival of Laughing Gas, but...

I was wondering that myself. If it was at random then they certainly got lucky. If it was on purpose, they must have been fans of Hemisfair or lived in Texas in the 60s. Otherwise you'd think they'd go with something more well known as far as 60s fairs are concerned--'62, '64-'65, or '67.

And I obviously MEANT to title this thread "Beetle Bailey Hemisfair Reference", not "Beetle Bailey Hemisphere Reference". Guess I was typing faster than I was thinking. Oh well...

And I obviously MEANT to title this thread "Beetle Bailey Hemisfair Reference", not "Beetle Bailey Hemisphere Reference". Guess I was typing faster than I was thinking. Oh well...

I fixed it for you.

For the first post of a topic, if you go back to it and choose "edit", but then look for another button called "Use Full Editor", it will give you the option to revise the topic's title and subtitle. The only people who can do this are the original poster who started the topic, or an administrator.

Mort Walker lived in the Connecticut - NY area in the early 60s - I wonder if he meant the NY World's fair but got the year wrong.

I fixed it for you.

For the first post of a topic, if you go back to it and choose "edit", but then look for another button called "Use Full Editor", it will give you the option to revise the topic's title and subtitle. The only people who can do this are the original poster who started the topic, or an administrator.

Thank you Randy. I thought there was some way to fix (edit) a title, but couldn't for the life of me figure it out at that moment. Hopefully I'll remember for the next time I make a mistake!

Just stumbled on this thread by coincidence, but noticed that (surprise, surprise) the link I posted a couple years ago doesn't work. Just in case anyone else stumbles upon this one, here's the strip in question.

post-894-0-64257100-1348799137_thumb.gif

Whatever he meant, if he had used the term Hemisfair '68 on that little bag, there would only be about 30 people in the nation who would catch the reference.