#1 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,591 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

Anyone ever hear of this effort before?

http://books.google.com/books?id=gfUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA48&dq=seattle+%22world's+fair%22&lr=&as_pt=MAGAZINES&ei=HoNgS6juJJSOkgT4tvyhBw&cd=43#v=onepage&q=seattle%20%22world's%20fair%22&f=false

#2 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

Anyone ever hear of this effort before?

http://books.google.com/books?id=gfUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA48&dq=seattle+%22world's+fair%22&lr=&as_pt=MAGAZINES&ei=HoNgS6juJJSOkgT4tvyhBw&cd=43#v=onepage&q=seattle%20%22world's%20fair%22&f=false

I vaguely recall something here on PTU regarding a Detroit-based Exposition.
It's funny, the Gasparilla celebration mentioned as the Headline has been going on here for about a week, with a few more still to go. Never been though, wayyyyyy to many irresponsible inebriated people and chaos.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

I have posted references to Detroit Mayor Jerome Cavanaugh's announced desire to see his city host a world's fair in 1968. I believe he pronounced his initial idea in 1963 or 1964. The 1965 Encyclopedia Britannica Book of The Year makes reference to this. I do not know what initial discussions or planning might have taken place. It does not matter. In 1967, Detriot was rocked by the worst riots in American history and that put an end to that beleagured city's dreams.

#4 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

I have posted references to Detroit Mayor Jerome Cavanaugh's announced desire to see his city host a world's fair in 1968. I believe he pronounced his initial idea in 1963 or 1964. The 1965 Encyclopedia Britannica Book of The Year makes reference to this. I do not know what initial discussions or planning might have taken place. It does not matter. In 1967, Detriot was rocked by the worst riots in American history and that put an end to that beleagured city's dreams.

I remember reading, probably in the World Book Encyclopedia Yearbook, that Detroit also wanted to host the summer Olympics in 1968.

#5 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

That is true. Mayor Cavanaugh envisioned Detroit as the host city for both a fair and the Olympic summer games. I think he even proposed using the Michigan State Fairgrounds as the main location for his proposed world's fair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users