Bradd Schiffman

Recreating The Fair in 3D

Your photo shop helps.

I think you're right about the words 'lift off'.

The last sentence seems to include

'...one of the most reliable launch rockets- having _____ successfully launched more than 200 (or 210?) straight times.'

That slide was scanned at 2900 DPI; I'll dig it out and redo it at 4000 DPI and see what secrets it will yield.

By the way that photo reveals the motorcycle parked next to the fence- previously we had seen it in another unrelated photo from the other side of the fence, and PTUers identified it as an early Honda. Apparently this was a Fair employee who parked (and probably chained to the fence) his motorcyle every day when they came to work.

some logical thinking- if the words in the last sentence are 'more than', then it's probably '200' and not '210'. Why would somebody say more than 210? It would make more sense to say more than a rounded number like 200.

Santa Claus says HO HO HO!!!!

Lookee what I found in a photo of the X-15 in my X-15 file! I believe everything is readable here.

Looks like it shrunk two feet. :) ...and it's 20 straight times and not 200 or 210.

Thor-Delta_sign3.jpg

That's the same slide at 4000 instead of 2900? Yes, the difference is much better.

I browsed through the rest of my Space Park pics, and looks like this is as good as it's going to get. there's just not much there as far as readable signboards of this type.

Here are some unrestored scans of a few small prints from the Space Park showing some signage. If you need better copies let me know and I'll see if I can find them again.

space-park-print-1.jpg

space-park-print-2.jpg

space-park-print-3.jpg

Bradd, Charles Aybar supplied you with some pics for your article on nywf64.com that include signboards. The thumbnails look pronmising. If you can get higher resolution scans from him, you might be able to check off a couple of signboards.

The image of the concept of the Space Shuttle is hilarious. It looks like one of the pieces of hardware from the proposed Apollo Long-Duration missions. One of those single person "hopper" crafts. Also interesting is to see LEM development; by 1964 (judging from Hall of Science construction in the background) the Lunar Module was near its final form - the only exterior adjustments at this point were minute, (such as the ladder, nozzle shape, ect. Also the shape of the airlock, in this picture it is sill in the design where the Apollo Command module would dock with it from the front. This would be removed in about a year.)

Bill your LEM picture is interesting, with the small signboard attached to it.

It seems that at first, there was one of the big separate signboards adjacent to the LEM and the command module.

Then later, these small signboards got attached to the command module pedestal, and to the LEM itself. Not sure why they made the change. Maybe people were totally confused on which was the LEM and which was the command module.

uh oh--- just dawned on me- the 3-D project that Bradd is helping is modeling October 64. So we're going to have to see if we can figure out when those little signboards got attached. :)

Mike Kraus, these two are yours. Is it possible to see if there are any dates on slide mounts or prints? And maybe higher resolution scans?

the first one shows the command module pedestal with the small signboard, which is not present in Bill's photo. (but in Bill's color photo you can see the small signboard on the LEM)

North_American_Aviation_Apollo_Command_Service_Module_full_scale_model.jpg

the second one shows ALL the signboards- big and small- present on the command module and the LEM and adjacent.

Apollo_Command-Service_Module_Lunar_Excursion_Module_Launch_Vehicle_models.jpg

The image of the concept of the Space Shuttle is hilarious. It looks like one of the pieces of hardware from the proposed Apollo Long-Duration missions. One of those single person "hopper" crafts.

Joey you are correct- this is not a Space Shuttle by the concept we know it today. It was a hopper concept. Intended for short hops from a Space Station to a nearby passing satellite in order to make repairs, that sort of thing. Not much more than an untethered space walk with a thruster back pack, but with an enclosed capsule and probably a bit longer range that one of those back packs would provide.

The repair/service mission concept is why they had those mechanical arms with 'pincer hands'.

Joey you are correct- this is not a Space Shuttle by the concept we know it today. It was a hopper concept. Intended for short hops from a Space Station to a nearby passing satellite in order to make repairs, that sort of thing. Not much more than an untethered space walk with a thruster back pack, but with an enclosed capsule and probably a bit longer range that one of those back packs would provide.

The repair/service mission concept is why they had those mechanical arms with 'pincer hands'.

I was at first reminded of this craft of the great Werner von Braun, but its name escapes me at the moment. This is a more recent rendering of the craft in mind.

post-4303-126075849902_thumb.jpg

Many of the signs (In particular the "Rangers to the Moon") and displays are very similar to what the Kennedy Space Centre uses currently. The only differences would be the updated information. KSC first opened in 1966, anyone know if some of these signs/mockups/craft went south to fill up their budding museum?

By the way that photo reveals the motorcycle parked next to the fence- previously we had seen it in another unrelated photo from the other side of the fence, and PTUers identified it as an early Honda. Apparently this was a Fair employee who parked (and probably chained to the fence) his motorcyle every day when they came to work.

What photo are you talking about? That's the motorcycle I drove at the time, an early Honda, one of the first series of Hondas imported here, before Honda began importing cars. It was the Honda 150.