RAY DASHNER

Ray's NYWF Flag Flys Again on October 17

Bill,

We all wish for a speedy recovery.

Mitch

Thanks. We're waiting for test results to see if it was swine flu or not. He's not recovered yet but is doing better. It's one nasty bug for sure.

Any new details on this? I live nearby and would love to watch the hoisting and get a few photos. I have been anxiously awaiting a time so I can plan to be there. Also wondering if there are concerns about the weather and if that might cancel the effort. Please let us know. Also, a speedy recovery to Mr. Cotter's son.

HERE'S THE UP-TO-THE-MINUTE info.

The NYWF flag is FLYING as of 10:30 AM Friday, Oct. 16.

The event was attended by FMCP Park Officials as well as Johnny Piro. As it unfurled atop the center flagpole in Gotham Plaza, the emotional reaction amongst them was astonishing. Clearly, it is a very unique historical moment for the park.

The flag will fly every day until Monday, Oct. 26, so PTU regulars who live in the NY area will have a chance to renew their memories of their childhood days at the NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR!

Ray Dashner

I'm glad it got up there, but why no word as to when so people could have been there?

Thanks for the kind words about my son. He's doing better and we hope he returns to school next week. He sure was laid low by the bug. Out here in CA the schools are being hit hard by the flu.

I was all prepared to attend tomorrow, rain or shine. I am sorry I missed the flag going up the pole but at least the parks dept kept their word. Where's pictures?

Bill, happy to hear your son is recovering. Everyone is sick around here, got to be some swine mixed in too...take care.

Yes, it IS great that it is flying, but I am sorry I was not there to witness it. I have been checking this board daily to see what time "ON OCTOBER 17" it would go up. I guess my Saturday just freed up. Oh well, I will go there on a nice day and try to get some shots of the flag against a blue sky. Bill, glad your son is recovering.

The flag was to be raised on sat.and i was to deliver the flag today. But they told me if we wait till Sat. and the bad weather coming they might not be able to fly it. So they raised it today. Im sorry i was ready to post infomation about the time on Sat.I asked them if they would leave it up till next weekend and they agreed. Again im sorry, Please come to look at the flag its great......PS will post Pictures tonight...Johnny

Johnny,

Well done then. At least its flying! Waiting for pix...

Mitch

There is a short article appearing in the New York Daily News today (Metro print edition) written by Nick Hirshon, NYDN staff writer.

Here's the text that ran today:

Flushing Meadows-Corona Park -

An 8-by-12-foot flag that flew at the 1964 World's Fair will flap over the park yet again tomorrow to mark the 44th anniversary of the fair's closing.

The Parks Department will raise the blue-and-orange flag at the David Dinkins Circle, near the subway ramp by the National Tennis Center.

"It kind of brings me back to my youth," said John Piro, 60, of Westbury, L.I., who asked the city to fly the flag on a friend's behalf.

Nicholas Hirshon

GREAT JOB, Johnny... you did an awesome job getting that flag flown.

And thanks to Ray Dashner for risking his incredible flag for the cause.

Who among us would risk such a valuable souvenir for the greater good and the mere enjoyment of a bunch of people you don't even know?

Doug

Edited by Doug Seed

Peace Through Understanding reigns throughout the World's Fair Community!

Edited by Doug Seed

Brings a tear to my eye...great Johnny and Ray.

It sure looks great to see the NYWF flag flying there again! Thanks to both of you guys for arranging it.

I wonder what it would take to get replicas made? I'd love one (although I would then need a real flag pole) but it would be great to see one on all of those poles.

I understand the weather in NY is horrible, so I hope they take it down if the wind picks up. You're a brave man, Ray.

If somebody tries to charge to see a flag flying in a public park..... it's probably somebody who also has the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge in the pocket of their jacket. :)