RAY DASHNER

Ray's NYWF Flag Flys Again on October 17

Thanks to John Piro (Johnny At The Fair) and Nick Hirshon of the N.Y. Daily News, arrangements are being made to fly my recently acquired Official NYWF flag to commemorate the last day of the NYWF 44 years ago. Hopefully, the winds will be blowing as the flag unfurls atop one of the Eagle flagpoles near the Fountain of the Planets.

There will be photos taken and a possible article written by Mr. Hirshon for publication in the Daily News.

This is my hope, that in this small way, the NYWF will be kept alive for all those who once visited The Fair.

Ray Dashner

Tampa, FL

I see that you are from Tampa, If you ever are granted permission to fly it there let me know, I live about 30 minutes away and would love to see it!

Joey, contact Dr. Lori Walters at UCF (you'll find her here on the board).

She's talking about suggesting a get-together of the central Florida area PTUers, since there are a number of you in the Orlando area, Tampa, Sarasota, etc.

I was at the park yesterday and began talks with the parks Dept. to try to fly Rays beautiful flag. I brought the flag with me and took it for a dry run. Hoping to fly it on one of the poles around the fountain of the planets.................Johnny

post-3769-125375953816_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125375955937_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125375958461_thumb.jpg

Outstanding! I hope you get them to fly it on closing day. Very cool.

That's the flag that Ray and I held up for the camera when he stopped at my house in june.

post-86-125376475518_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill,

Here is the story.

I was a first or second year teacher at a boarding school in Connecticut (so this was in 1977 or 1978). One evening, I went to a student's room to provide some extra help or something. I remember that young man quite well. He was from Princeton. In any event, when I entered his room, I saw an enormous NYWF flag (exactly like the one pictured above; same size etc.) displayed on this kid's wall. I was overwhelmed. When I caught my breath (even then the Fair was a legendary event for me), I asked him if he knew what the flag was. He thought it had something to do with the United Nations. I told him what it really was and asked him where he had found it. He told me that he was visiting a good friend one weekend (a young man who also attended the school) and they found it in a barn on his grandfather's property. And get this: that second young man told me his grandfather was Grover Whalen. I damn near dropped my teeth!

Throughout the year, I often visited the flag in that kid's room and told him stories about the Fair etc. He was 17 and did not remember the Fair. And to make a long story short, I got to know this young man quite well (I also taught his brother and became friendly with his parents). When he graduated at the conclusion of that school year, he gave me a gift. He presented me with that flag and simply told me that it would mean much more to me than it ever could to him and he wanted me to have it. And I have treasured if for over thirty years. I have even made arrangements for it to be given to the New York Historical Society at the time of my death. I want it to be preserved.

So that's how I came by my flag.

Jim

This is so great Ray! What an honor if the flag is able to return to the park all these years later. I hope it happens and can't wait to see the photos! I wonder how many people wandering in the park that day will have any idea of the significance of the flag (much less the significance of the day itself).

Yes, that connection to Grover Whalen is very interesting. I believe the barn in which the flag was found was in New Jersey but I am not certain. It might have been in Pennsylvania in the Pocono region. In any event, the farm belonged to Grover Whalen and that is where his grandson and his friend found that flag. I have often wondered if there was other fair memorabilia in that barn--memorabilia from two great fairs.

g

Yes, that connection to Grover Whalen is very interesting. I believe the barn in which the flag was found was in New Jersey but I am not certain. It might have been in Pennsylvania in the Pocono region. In any event, the farm belonged to Grover Whalen and that is where his grandson and his friend found that flag. I have often wondered if there was other fair memorabilia in that barn--memorabilia from two great fairs.

OK I HAVE THE SAME FLAG , MINE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE LARGER,I ALSO HAVE THE FLAG FROM THE BELL PAVILLON,MAYBE WE CAN FLY THEM ALL TOGETHER.......LET ME KNOW JERRYBAGELZ@AOL.COM

g

Thanks to John Piro (Johnny At The Fair) and Nick Hirshon of the N.Y. Daily News, arrangements have been made to fly my recently acquired Official NYWF flag to commemorate the last day of the NYWF 44 years ago. It will be flown on a flagpole inside the Gotham Plaza Main Gate on Saturday, October 17.

Using the word GOTHAM inspired the idea that Johnny will appear as Batman on that day. An article will appear in the New York Daily News with photos and text prepared by Nick Hershon, staff writer at the NYDN.

Johnny's photos should be posted here during the early evening of Oct. 17. Thanks, Johnny for making this possible. (Photo courtesy of Randy Treadway).

Ray Dashner.

post-4015-125510688603_thumb.jpg

As Ray already said, i recieved a call today giving the okay for the flag to fly On 10/17. I was told deliver the flag to the parks Dept.on 10/16. Bill at that time i will have all details of what time the flag will fly. It will be great to meet you at this special event and i hope everyone who can, will be apart of this great day........Johnny