Polynesian Pavilion 1964

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was one of the group of Samoan students who performed at the Polynesian Pavilion in 1964. I did the fireknife dance and would like to hear from anyone who visited the pavilion that year, and would appreciate it if you can email me your photos of the dancers, especially the fireknife dance.

Posted · Report post

I was one of the group of Samoan students who performed at the Polynesian Pavilion in 1964. I did the fireknife dance and would like to hear from anyone who visited the pavilion that year, and would appreciate it if you can email me your photos of the dancers, especially the fireknife dance.

I have about half a dozen good color photos of the fireknife dance being performed on a small 'island' in the lagoon at the Polynesian Restaurant dance show, but also a couple of photos of it being performed on the main stage. Four of the photos are definitely from early 1964, and I suspect the others are too.

I'm on a business trip to Europe, but I'll try to share the photos after I return home tomorrow.

Posted · Report post

64-05-20a-07_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

May '64

64-05-20a-16_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

May '64

64-05-20a-13_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

May '64

11_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

October '65

64-05-20a-14_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

May '64

64-05-20a-15_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

May '64

fair_093.jpg

JNY Labs

64-07-30-21_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

July '64

these two seem to be the same, but on the performance stage instead of the island

International_Area-_Polynesian_Restaurant_flame_juggler.jpg

October '65

International_Area-_Polynesian_Restaurant_flame_dancer.jpg

October '65

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Welcome back, Randy-- fun photos. I hope one of them pictures our new PTU member TATT.

Meanwhile... is that re-bar already showing through the concrete edging of the pool in the first pic... or just a poorly designed drain of some sort?

Posted · Report post

TATT PM'd to say that he is indeed in two of these photos.

Posted · Report post

That is great news!

Please tell TATT that I'd love to hear him describe his impressions of New York and the Fair and his experiences as a performer here in this forum. I'm sure other readers would enjoy.

Pago Pago beneath Rainmaker Mtn is where I said goodbye to my ship and oceangoing life and walked down a gangplank for the final time in 1996.

PS That pool edging seems to be a reflection of the building lattice work.

Posted · Report post

Hey, this is great...welcome, TATT!

Are you here in the States? Tell us about your job at the Fair. How'd you get the job... how much did it pay... what hours and days did you work... which photos are you in? Stuff like that. We would love to hear about your experiences.

Doug

Posted · Report post

In his PM, TATT said that he and his Samoan friends didn't have any cameras back then, so these are the first photos he's seen of their performances since that time.

Posted · Report post

But maybe he can point himself out it your posted photos. It would be cool to know which performer he is.

Posted · Report post

Hello my name is Sapi and I came across this subject while looking for pictures of my dad who like TATT was a fireknife dancer @ the Polynesian Pavillion 1964. He was telling us the story of how he went to New York to do the fireknife dance, we have no pictures of him so my sisters and I were hoping just maybe we would find some online, we came across this although my father is not in any of the photos posted he does recognize some of the men in the photos and the setting of the pavillion.

@ Randy Treadway I read that you have more photos I would really much appreciate it if you could post them and maybe I could point out to you folks which one my father is...

I also found a short film which you could find @ www.kumete.com/videos/2198/the-polynesian-pavillion-1964-world's-fair its only 1:29 long of when the group were performing on stage my father is in that film. Its such an awesome feeling to get when you actually see something that you've only heard about through stories. I can only imagine how my father must feel.

Please I know your posts were back in 2009 but if you get this or anyone else out there have photos please get back to me. Thank you so much in advance!!! B)

Posted · Report post

Yes, I have photos... might have to wait a few days and then I'll post them.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thnak you so much I just hope that my father is in those photos. I will be looking forward to the day you post thanks again!!

Posted · Report post

Oh sorry, I only have two more. But maybe you'll get lucky and one will be your dad. Hope so!

Poly1.jpg

This one was published by United Airlines and is labeled Hawaii Pavilion, but that's definitely wrong- it's the Island Dance Show at the Polynesian Restaurant.

Poly2.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Here are two more of performers from the pavilion:

polynesia-1.jpg

polynesia-2.jpg

Posted · Report post

Nice outfit to wear on a hot, humid August day at the Fair.

Posted · Report post

OMG this is so amazing how lucky that 1 out of the 2 pictures u posted is my dad. My father is the man dancing alone with 2 fireknives, the one you labeled as published by United Airlines. I can't THANK YOU enough we are so happy to have found even if its just this one photo we are so grateful to you, Faafetai faafetai tele lava!!! :D (Thank you very much in the Samoan language)

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Reason Number 1,000,0001 I love this site! :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Indeed. That'll bring a smile to your face.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Faafetai faafetai tele lava!!! :D (Thank you very much in the Samoan language)

Fa'afetai fo'i ! (you're welcome) :D

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Bill, you have the United set don't you? Maybe you can get a nice digital scan & restoration of this slide to send to Sapi. My digital copy is lower resolution and has that strong reddish tint.

Posted · Report post

Randy, I have two sets of slides from United but I don't see that one. Do you happen to know the set number or slide number?

Posted · Report post

In my notes, it's a United set that you scanned for Bradd Schiffman, or at least that you got from Bradd. That may have been in 2004. The file name for this one is UALHawaii13, but I have no way of knowing whether 13 is printed on the slide mount.

Posted · Report post

I don't see a copy on my hard drive. I may have it offline and will look.

Hey, Bradd - you have it full size?

Posted · Report post

film footage of one of the Fire dancers at 2:48

In spite of the 1965 title on this footage, the view of the Chrysler Pavilion shows it to be painted in the 1964 paint scheme.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

My mother, Otila Folole Kiliona, is Samoan and came with the group from Hawaii to dance. She said that she actually performed Tahitian more than anything & I can't say for sure if that is her in the video dancing by herself. I posted the video to her FB page. I'll let you know! I have been searching for the past few years to find anything with my Mother's photo. This is a great start! Thank You!