Sign in to follow this  
1853crystalpalace

Floating Sinclair Fuel Dock Umbrella Roof

Just a little history on the Sinclair floating fuel dock. Sinclair was awarded a contract to supply fuel at the World's Fair Marina. so it had Owens-Corning Fiberglass build this station with a red & white umbrella roof. Around 1968 Mario LaMotta made a deal with Sinclair had the fuel dock renovated and towed it to Manhasset Bay where it served as a fuel dock until 1972. The umbrella roof was removed that year and used as the roof for the Manhasset Bay Marina's snackbar. In 1993 it was incorporated into LaMotta's Waterside Restaurant also at Manhasset Bay Marina. Pictures are coming in a few days

Wow, that's very cool! Is this a legacy that had been chronicled before, or is it a new discovery? Either way, thank you 1853crystalpalace for the information, and thank you Doug for the image!

It's been chronicled before, but nice to check in on it every few years to see that it's still there.

Every now and then we lose one to the wrecker's ball, like the Christian Science Pavilion a couple of years ago. And Shea Stadium this year.

Bingo!

post-86-124889815553_thumb.jpg

I know the picture is crappy but is gives another perspective on the structure...

post-3715-124904321798_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

David B.

While I'm obviously very happy to see that the umbrella is still around and cared for, I have to ask--can it even been seen from ground level? Looking at the aerial photos, it looks like it's simply part of the otherwise bland roof structure. Would a person walking up to the restaurant be able to tell that the place is covered by a red and white "unmbrella"? Or is it that the underside is visible from inside the restaurant? That would make sense.

A bunch of us went inside several years ago during one of the SIPs.

They make it fairly obvious that this was a Fair structure, IIRC.

Bench & Bill Young & myself and who else?

Mike K.

Tough to recall, but I seem to remember steel structural members covered with corrugated metal.

Didn't someone publish photos on PTU at the time?