1853crystalpalace

National Building Museum World's Fair Exhibit

31 posts in this topic

The exhibit is wonderful; very comprehensive and full of fascinating artifacts from the various US World's Fairs of the 1930's. There's even a full size replica of Elektro...the Westinghouse robot from the 1939 NY Fair. If I have any criticism, it would be that many of the captions are in v e r y tiny print (white on dark blue) that are generally below waist level. I found it difficult a bit tiring to constantly bob up and down between the pictures and the related captions. (Of course, I'm not as young as I used to be...) I definitely will go back to see it again.

The related book is available at the museum gift shop (as are several other books about the fairs); I already ordered my copy from Amazon, and expect to get it in a few weeks.

Hi All,

First Amazon review is in of this text. Some of you must have read this book? You know how I felt. What thoughts have you?

Amazon Review

Best,

Eric

I went to the exhibit today while in DC for the weekend. It's a great show with a thorough coverage of how the World's Fairs of the time impacted American culture, architecture and design. It included a lot of interesting artifacts and images and the docent was very knowledgeable. I wish the exhibit would travel to the 6 featured cities; I'd love to see it in Dallas' Fair Park for a run!