8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave0

Dave0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

Hi,

I recently took a trip to Japan and saw this framed coin collection laying on the ground in an interesting junk shop... Does anyone know anything about this? Is it collectible? I have been trying to find some information on the internet but I cant seem to find anything about this.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Welcome to the group. That's an interesting find. I wish I could read Japanese and see what it says. If it's any type of precious metal like silver it could be worth a nice bit of change. Even if not, this is a nice Expo 70 collectible. Congratulations on your find!

#3 Dave0

Dave0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi,

The Japanese translates to say : Japanese Expo, Memorial Medals.. nothing special.

I was very happy to find it, considering it was laying on the floor under a pile of rubbish in this crazy retro junk shop. I think I spent 3 hours in that place digging through stuff before I found it, but that's the fun of hunting for treasure.

Welcome to the group. That's an interesting find. I wish I could read Japanese and see what it says. If it's any type of precious metal like silver it could be worth a nice bit of change. Even if not, this is a nice Expo 70 collectible. Congratulations on your find!

#4 Lisa Langlois

Lisa Langlois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

[

Hi, where in Japan? I read Japanese, if you want to know the names under each--but maybe you read Japanese, too. That is a nice find, I hope you bought it! ---Lisa

quote name='Dave0' date='16 July 2009 - 07:40 AM' timestamp='1247748009' post='76607']
Hi,

The Japanese translates to say : Japanese Expo, Memorial Medals.. nothing special.

I was very happy to find it, considering it was laying on the floor under a pile of rubbish in this crazy retro junk shop. I think I spent 3 hours in that place digging through stuff before I found it, but that's the fun of hunting for treasure.

[/quote]

#5 Lisa Langlois

Lisa Langlois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

PS
They mainly are the names of the country pavilions and the exhibit halls--Cuba, Ethiopia, Korea, Thailand being pretty interesting. There are some really good Japanese books on the fairs, including 70, which you can get through inter-library loan. Good luck! Lisa

#6 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Styled in communistic formats, it is a nice find.

#7 Ilex

Ilex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hallo DaveO,
I just came across about your finding in Japan.
Are you interested in purchasing this silver medal Expo 70?
I have one for sale, because I gave up the collection.
I traced one during a trip in Japan an now want to
get rid off.
From you comments I cannot see from which country
you are writing. Please let me know and I shall provide you with
more details like photos etc.
The coin was issued by the Japanese Mint.
The coin is in a small case, which easily can be posted.
By the way, I write from Germany.
Regards,
Monichi

Attached Files

#8 Emily10

Emily10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Popular way to collect coins is based on year of issue. For example, what many people do is collect every coin that was minted and issued in the year they were born. Depending on your age you may still be able to acquire all coins by purchasing them as government issues or from the Royal Mint if you are collecting British coins. For example, if the year you were born included an historic date such as Coronation or the landing on moon then you can get commemorative coin sets that become valuable especially, if they were limited editions. If you are looking for coins before 1960 then you may have to search and spend more to get what you want.

Monaco Euro Coins

#9 happylion

happylion

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have the exact same medal set, but I bought it on eBay in 2008.  I have also acquired a number of other medals which are not the same as the ones in the set.  For example, the official US pavilion medal has a completely different design and was made in both bronze and silver.  I have 2 identical Soviet pavilion medals where the coat of arms is on the back instead of Lenin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users