For the second or third time now since its debut, the PBS series HISTORY DETECTIVES (one of my favorite shows) is featuring a World's Fair related segment in one of its new episodes. Like a cross between "CSI" and "Antiques Roadshow," HISTORY DETECTIVES sorts through the personal keepsakes of average people, methodically tracing and exploring their provenance to reveal the often amazing stories behind them.

In this week's program-- a silver baby cup belonging to a woman's mother uncovers a family secret about her auspicious infancy in an incubator exhibit at the 1933 Century of Progress Exposition. Here's a link to the History Detectives website if you're interested in more info. Check your local listings for show times.

History Detectives - Sideshow Babies

HA! That's good! I was watching the exact part where History Detectives showed films of the Fair when I looked down and saw this post materialize on my laptop. Thanks!

An interesting topic.

Several world's fairs, including the 1909 AYP Expo in Seattle, had incubator exhibits with live babies.

I believe the 1939-40 NYWF and 1939-1940 GGIE were the last two fairs to house the incubated babies; by the 60's I'm guessing people didn't wanna see that stuff anymore. I don't think there were any at Expo '58, but I could be mistaken.

1920s incubator baby dies at age 96. Story gives some history of Dr. Martin Couney and his campaign for the use of incubators.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-1920s-incubator-baby-lucille-conlin-horn-dies-172849804.html