• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Allan Oakley

Allan Oakley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

I was looking over my Expo 67 collectables that line my office walls and decided to Google search Expo 67.Since then I have appreciated how Expo actually influenced my life.It really hit me when that comment was made about Disney. I moved my family to Celebration, Florida in 1996 to do research as a tourism consultant.Today my main client is the Walt Disney Company and the irony is our home is literally in the shadows of Disney World. Reading that comment explains why I have always wanted to live near a major theme park and immerse my family in the fantasy of it all.

On a lighter note one of my favorite souvenirs in a full copy of the Montreal Star dated April 28th,1967. It was a 144 page Opening Day special edition and is it hysterical to read again. One of my favorite pages was the rental rates for Habitat. The article features who rented the apartments and the list was a who's who of Canada including Prime minister Lester Pearson.Oner bedrooms rented for $300 a month,Two bedrooms from $420 to $500 a month. 3 bedrooms $645-$715 and the 4 bedrooms $645 to $700. The higher rents got you an apartment on the upper floors with an extra roof top balcony.If you signed a two year lease the rent dropped 40 % the second year. There were 168 apartments although 700 families applied. They came with quirky covenants and restrictions.You were allowed one extra automobile per day along with your own parking spot. If guests wanted to visit you they had to park in a parking lot off site and use a provided chauffeur service to get them to the front doors.Maid service was available but you had to use a company provided by Expo admin. Fast Food delivery could only come from Expo concessions. Washers and dryers were not provided in the units but you could use the Expo laundry service if you wanted.Although beyond the entrance gates you were not allowed to leave the fenced apartment grounds without an annual passport except to get in your car and drive in and out a manned security gate. Renters had to purchase an annual passport during the 6 months but they had to go in through the main gates along with everyone else. Other tidbits included that one American family rented for a year. Every major Expo dignitary rented an apartment but even they had to apply as Mayor Drapeau insisted that everyone was on a first come first served basis. Even the PM of Canada reported he had to make sure his secretary was waiting that first day they became available.

#17 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

That is very interesting information. It is especially revealing because Habitat was originally designed to be lower income housing. Today, of course, it is a premier location for Montreal residents. Those 1967 month rental rates are amazing by today's standards. One would have trouble getting a room for one nioght in some of Montreal's downtown hotels for rates that low!

#18 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

This is something of a post script to my previous posting. There is an excellent blog devoted to Expo. It is known as Expo Lounge and it is devoted to the great exposition and to all things related to life in 1967 in North America. The best bet is to go to google and type in Expo Lounge. It may be the first listing. It is worth a look.

#19 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

I found another excellent Expo web site that I have never really explored before today. It is a blog called Canadian Design Resource and it contains many pages of images of Expo memorabilia, video clips, textual accounts (including an excellent discussion of how the remarkable Expo logo was created and used to market the exposition).

This video on Expo appears to be homemade but is of very good quality. It has no narration but the views of the exposition are wonderful. Especially intersting are the interior scenes of the USSR and USA pavilions. It is interesting to note, as one views the NASA display in the USA pavilion, that just four months prior to the opening of Expo, we experienced that terrible Apollo 1 tragedy when astronauts Grissom, White and Chaffee were killed in the capsule during a disastrous flash fire.

The link (and I hope this works);

http://www.canadiand...expo-67/page/4/

It should open. Just scroll down and you will find the video and it is a joy to view. Check out the other pages of this blog. It is intersting and insightful. Also, check out the video on the Expo Express at the bottom of that same page, It is narrated in French but that only adds to the charm of it all. If you know a little French then you will easily follow the dialogue. You should easily catch the reference to the film "To Be Alive" when you see the views of the UN pavilion. The views of Expo from the Express are impressive. And one should recall that the train was totally automated although they show an engineer. They were stationed in the trains a week after the fair opened because so many said they felt uncomfortable with a train that lacked a driver. Of course, the engineer did nothing but stand there and enjoy the view. Also, there is a remarkable scene of the Mini Train passing through the USA pavilion and the shots are taken from the moving train. This is an excellent film.

#20 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

The link (and I hope this works);

http://www.canadiand...expo-67/page/4/

Great link!!! I don't think anyone would disagree that Expo 67 was a class act all the way but it sure had its share of tacky souvenirs. On the other hand, the ad with the Soviet flag and U.S.S.R. pavilion in the background and its take on the cold war ("look at what the Russians are building . . .") is a true classic.

#21 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

I was looking over my Expo 67 collectables that line my office walls and decided to Google search Expo 67.Since then I have appreciated how Expo actually influenced my life.It really hit me when that comment was made about Disney. I moved my family to Celebration, Florida in 1996 to do research as a tourism consultant.Today my main client is the Walt Disney Company and the irony is our home is literally in the shadows of Disney World. Reading that comment explains why I have always wanted to live near a major theme park and immerse my family in the fantasy of it all.

On a lighter note one of my favorite souvenirs in a full copy of the Montreal Star dated April 28th,1967. It was a 144 page Opening Day special edition and is it hysterical to read again. One of my favorite pages was the rental rates for Habitat. The article features who rented the apartments and the list was a who's who of Canada including Prime minister Lester Pearson.Oner bedrooms rented for $300 a month,Two bedrooms from $420 to $500 a month. 3 bedrooms $645-$715 and the 4 bedrooms $645 to $700. The higher rents got you an apartment on the upper floors with an extra roof top balcony.If you signed a two year lease the rent dropped 40 % the second year. There were 168 apartments although 700 families applied. They came with quirky covenants and restrictions.You were allowed one extra automobile per day along with your own parking spot. If guests wanted to visit you they had to park in a parking lot off site and use a provided chauffeur service to get them to the front doors.Maid service was available but you had to use a company provided by Expo admin. Fast Food delivery could only come from Expo concessions. Washers and dryers were not provided in the units but you could use the Expo laundry service if you wanted.Although beyond the entrance gates you were not allowed to leave the fenced apartment grounds without an annual passport except to get in your car and drive in and out a manned security gate. Renters had to purchase an annual passport during the 6 months but they had to go in through the main gates along with everyone else. Other tidbits included that one American family rented for a year. Every major Expo dignitary rented an apartment but even they had to apply as Mayor Drapeau insisted that everyone was on a first come first served basis. Even the PM of Canada reported he had to make sure his secretary was waiting that first day they became available.

I've read that Habitat units would have had to sell for an average of $140,000 for the builders to break even on the project. That was a lot of dough in 1967. I was raised in the San Francisco Bay Area. In 1967, $40,000 would have bought a custom single-family home on a large lot in the best part of town! $420-$500/month for a two bedroom apartment in 1967!?!? I paid $330/month for my first apartment (3 bedrooms shared with two roommates and we could barely afford the rent) in 1977. Habitat is still one of the most exciting pieces of urban architecture out there but I'd say, based on those figures, it was a failure at achieving the intended goal of providing affordable low-income housing.

#22 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

I am glad that you like the two films, expoboy. I suspect every exposition had its share of tacky souvenirs. I just bought a 1964-65 NYWF ashtray with a picture of the Unisphere. That rings the tacky bell I would guess.

I am also impressed with how ubiquitous the Expo logo is. It even appears solo on many Expo souvenirs giving further evidence of how universally recognized it became during the course of 1967.

#23 Gilles Mathieu

Gilles Mathieu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi.

For all of us who remembered the Expo67 " Place des nations", i recently received a deeply sad new about it. After beeing abandoned for decades, that historical place is now jeopardy by a possible demolition project. Right now, the site is entirely surrounded by a gate avoiding any further access. The structural weekness is now too dangerous for public to get free visit told the Parc Jean Drapeau administration bureau. The Parc Jean Drapeau administion also told me they try to find a permanent solution for the site. If you are able reading between lines, it does probably mean "The place des Nations" is doomed.

#24 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Very sad news indeed. I was glad to see it was still there the last time I was in Montral. Please keep us posted.

#25 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

Here's a different view of Habitat than usually turns up:

Posted Image

#26 Ragaje

Ragaje

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:20 AM

Does anyone remember an exhibit that had something called the "People Eater" as part of a ride through ?
I remember seeing an article with a picture of this in a magazine when I was a boy in 67.
My memory could be playing tricks but I am sure it had to do with this fair.

#27 xl5er

xl5er

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Maybe that was the Gyrotron. A moving bench entered a volcano and was "swallowed" by a monster. A discarded soda can propped among the scenery eliminated most of the required suspension of disbelief when my parents and I took the plunge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users