TDH5303

'GREYHOUND'S GM NEW LOOKS'

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the terminology 'New Look', it refers to a generation of GM buses built between 1959 and 1988 that took prominent places in the fleets of virtually every major transit operator both here in the U.S. and in Canada.

They were called New Looks because of a vastly different and more modern design than their predecessors (which, incidentally, came to be called 'Old Looks').

The Greyhound Corporation of Dallas, Texas won the sole right to service within the exposition and purchased 99 GM New Looks of the 5300 series in a combination of single door, double door and glass roof versions.

After the fair ended many of the buses were diverted to other Greyhound operations across the country and some were sold off including fifteen to Triboro Coach Corporation of Jackson Heights, Queens.

Pictured below and courtesy of famed bus photographer Jim Husing are three specimens of these very impressive looking coaches on location at the fair.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

post-3863-126379048762_thumb.jpg

post-3863-126379054061_thumb.jpg

post-3863-126379062572_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures, I'm guessing #2 is the service pavilion that was in the transportation zone, but my challenge to the PTU board is trying to find the location of Picture #3 :)

Thanks for that gloss on the phrase New Look!

NYC buses were a prominent part of my environment and I recall being keenly aware of the evolution of both the inside and out, including the fare collector machine.

It's great to know there was a simple way to make that distinction.

Presenting Greyhound fleet number 255 at the fair.

Do you recognize where the photo was taken?

Photo courtesy of timecruncher.

post-3863-124434846251_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that gloss on the phrase New Look!

NYC buses were a prominent part of my environment and I recall being keenly aware of the evolution of both the inside and out, including the fare collector machine.

It's great to know there was a simple way to make that distinction.

Here are the two generations we speak of; both New Look and Old Look (New York City).

Mr. 'L'

post-3863-124435271925_thumb.jpg

post-3863-124435286964_thumb.jpg

The old bus' route sign says Jackie Gleason Depot? Har dee har har!

The new bus barrelin' down Broadway already sports the Helvetica of its era.

The old bus' route sign says Jackie Gleason Depot? Har dee har har!

The new bus barrelin' down Broadway already sports the Helvetica of its era.

#2969, a 1948 GM TDH 5101 and one of 400 made exclusively for New York City, was originally numbered 4789.

To honor the memory of 'Ralph Kramden', the city renamed a depot in Brooklyn for Jackie Gleason and, because they did not have the original New York City Omnibus # 2969 that the famous 'Honeymooner' photos were taken with (see below), they renumbered 4789 which is now part of the MTA museum fleet.

post-3863-126379085689_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great information!

FYI Neither Safari nor FIrefox browsers render photo #1 or # 3 properly. They seem to be formatted too large for their quality. Not pixilated but smudged. Photo #2, The Great One himself, is formatted in a smaller box and is clear.

Thanks for the great information!

FYI Neither Safari nor FIrefox browsers render photo #1 or # 3 properly. They seem to be formatted too large for their quality. Not pixilated but smudged. Photo #2, The Great One himself, is formatted in a smaller box and is clear.

O.K., let's see what I can do!

I'll have to work on that first one but I've thrown in a couple of others, and have Alfred Hitchcock standing in for 'Ralph' temporarily!

BTW;' the 'Hitchcock' bus is from the same series as the original 'Kramden' bus.

Enjoy!

Mr. 'L'

post-3863-124443326244_thumb.jpg

post-3863-124443333422_thumb.jpg

post-3863-124443361549_thumb.jpg

Nothing like a photo with a New Look bus, WF Light & WF bench.

That Hitchcock photo is from "North by Northwest" I think. Great views of NYC in that movie.

These looked fine. The original #1 also did not show the 'next' button like the others. So the upload was mangled.

I actually have the 8X10 of your original #3, RALPH'S BUS.

Am I seeing things in the first photo of Post #10 GLEASON BUS? I scrutinized the fare box and recalled as a kid being fascinated by the little change flap doors and rotating discs. But... is that an apparition on the glass? It looks like Gleason's visage from the full moon in the Honeymooner's title sequence! And I just mentioned Carnival of Souls in another topic!

These looked fine. The original #1 also did not show the 'next' button like the others. So the upload was mangled.

I actually have the 8X10 of your original #3, RALPH'S BUS.

Am I seeing things in the first photo of Post #10 GLEASON BUS? I scrutinized the fare box and recalled as a kid being fascinated by the little change flap doors and rotating discs. But... is that an apparition on the glass? It looks like Gleason's visage from the full moon in the Honeymooner's title sequence! And I just mentioned Carnival of Souls in another topic!

You're absolutely right about the image of 'The Great One' in the fare box glass (and I don't know why or how they did it!).

Also of note in the photo are the turned down rear view mirror to deflect the flash of the camera and the change carrier etension used mostly when pennies were part of the fare (ie; 7, 12 and 13 cents).

I have the exact Johnson Model 'DE' fare box in chromium plate (pictured below) that was originally presented to a retiring Phoenix Arizona driver - I got it from his son through eBay, and it actually works!

BTW; what appears to be rust on the front of the attachment is actually a reflection of the table it is sitting on.

post-3863-12444869946_thumb.jpg

Good stuff, guys!

As an off-topic aside, did NYC really have post mounted ashtrays at bus stops in the 50's?

They sure did especially on the avenues in mid-town - I remember them like it was yesterday.

I also remember that the street sweepers, which were men on foot with brooms and garbage pails mounted on hand carts with large spoked wheels, used to pick the butts out of the trays.

New York was a cleaner town in those days!

Can you imagine the riot that would be created if the trays were to be reinstalled today?!

Now, as a surprise, the attached photo from the NYC Archives is very much on topic showing city street sweepers in a World's Fair promotion and captioned as follows;

As part of a publicity campaign for the second year of the New York World's Fair, Broadway show girls dance with Department of Sanitation street sweepers at the intersection of Broadway and 46th Street, Manhattan on April 29th., 1940. The street sweepers are wearing jackets with the World's Fair insignia.

post-3863-124452761819_thumb.jpg

Good bus photos. TDH's first set of pictures: I drove #1 and #3. I have no idea what #2, the "F special" was. TDH's second bus photo: Good shot of the driver. Too bad it wasn't me.

The MTA is running vintage buses from various eras on Manhattan crosstown lines for the holidays. This site has many photos in and out of one of the buses.

Vintage Bus on M79 Line in NYC 2

That means they've kept old buses carefully maintained in safe working condition stored someplace for all these years. What's the oldest bus they're running?

LL,

Sorry I forgot to answer.

In all my wanderings around NYC from Thanksgiving til Christmas I did not see one vintage bus. I even asked two separate MTA employees, the guys who stand at the bus stops supposedly recording schedule data, more likely calculating their massive pension increases. The one who spoke intelligibly was enthralled by my miniscule knowledge of the bus system. I told him more than he knew, and I knew nothing. They did not know where they were kept, how they were kept, or that they were kept.

LL,

Sorry I forgot to answer.

In all my wanderings around NYC from Thanksgiving til Christmas I did not see one vintage bus. I even asked two separate MTA employees, the guys who stand at the bus stops supposedly recording schedule data, more likely calculating their massive pension increases. The one who spoke intelligibly was enthralled by my miniscule knowledge of the bus system. I told him more than he knew, and I knew nothing. They did not know where they were kept, how they were kept, or that they were kept.

Heh heh. That's some useful information, about what I'd expect in NYC.