Joey Chernov

Pics for Virtual Reconstruction

Hi all.

Iv'e corresponded with Paul over the last few days over some details, and we have centered Westinghouse with the plaza of light path and some smaller item placement. We also found a recent photo of what appears to be the Ops building somewhere near LA. Were still adding more things on westinghouse, and we also just got three more sims to work with!

Here is a picture of that building. The caption says thats its a diner on the mall, near/in LA

post-4303-1240795965_thumb.jpg

Jœy

Hi Joey,

that sure looks like part of the Operations Building. I don't think I saw this photo before - I recall seeing something that evoked the base of the Westinghouse Tower. This looks qiote good, but hard to tell from this angle though as some things seem altered/the wrong proportion. The mural bit would be missing as well. Maybe you can show some better photographs of this building?

Best,

Eric

Happy 70th anniversary everyone!

The owner of the photos have not gotten back to me yet eric, sorry. I searched ther PTU posts and got additional information from there. Guess their patio area was based off of a pavillion.

An update from the Virtual world - we have completed a temporary Plaza of Light area, paved and landscaped. We will improve this later in the future. US steel is undergoing planning work and should be made withen the next week, and Dupont is the same.

Also, what could you tell me about the four pylons standing in the Plaza of light? I *think* they were called the four seasons. Those are my next personal project.

Best regards--

Jœy

The owner of the photos have not gotten back to me yet eric, sorry. I searched ther PTU posts and got additional information from there. Guess their patio area was based off of a pavillion.

US steel is undergoing planning work and should be made withen the next week, and Dupont is the same.

Also, what could you tell me about the four pylons standing in the Plaza of light? I *think* they were called the four seasons. Those are my next personal project.

Hi Joey,

yes, a wonderful anniversary! I agree, that is not the Operations Building - too many differences etc..

I will be interested to seethe color you choose for U.S. Steel And the DuPont - the chemical aparratus sculpture was light grey and white in 1939 - maybe the LoC collections or the NYPL collection can help you.

The pylons, those are the Four Elements by Carl Jennewein, which were a representation of the tradtional four elements with each pylon decorated with 12 gold plaques in relief giving 48 total. I don't think I have detail photographs of every plaque. This information and a detail photograph can be seen in the Applebaum book. Offhand, I think they were 65 feet high. I posted a color slide in here somewhere that shows them. I can repost it if necessary.

Best,

Eric

Joey,

here are Jennewein's Elements, the best I could do with what I have scanned. I do have some detail photographs and slides of the plaques but I have no idea where they might be right now. I know the b/w prints are unfiled and in some bulk folder.

This is 1940, but the sculpture did not undergo any changes and this is a good slide with typical unfaded 1940 emulsion. I was only able to do rudimentary color correction. At night it had a very different appearance.

Best,

Eric

Elements1940NewYorkWorldsFairforJoeyPTU.jpg

The Four Elements by Paul Jennewein at the New York World's Fair of 1940, © EKL Image Collection

Wonderful! Even more beautiful than some of the distance shots iv'e seen! And much different in shape and design that I assumed too. This is great, thanks Eric!

Hi all, heres something that should top off the evening of the 70th anna versiary of opening day. My reconstruction of "The four Elements" in Reaction Grid. be warned that this IS NOT a final copy, only one that will do until more detail can be determined and added. Enjoy!

post-4303-1241145565_thumb.png

post-4303-1241145554_thumb.png

Hi Joey,

those look nice - just lighten the color. They were a very light grey - very light cement color. I wll post an enlargement of these Elements hopefully tomorrow for color, taken from the images I restored for the National Building Museum last year. The color will be much more accurate than here as I spent considerable time on that image.

Eric

Here are some more images of our endeavor. None of the following buildings are completed, they still have alot of work to do, and may even get completely rebuilt (Like our GE is now). I also have Electrical utilities started, and someone else is doing the Electrical products, though its not coming along very well. Enjoy!

Prototype Elgin Watch Building:

post-4303-1242608925_thumb.png

US Steel:

post-4303-1242608972_thumb.png

Con Ed:

post-4303-1242608998_thumb.png

For Eric - a colour corrected "Four Elements" Hope they are right, I tried to take the colour stats from an image editor from one I found on Google:

post-4303-1242609020_thumb.png

American Express Carts (Unfinished, working):

post-4303-1242609048_thumb.png

HI Joey,

just found this thread - very nice, but the color is much lighter, verging on a nearly "white" cement grey. I do not have the time to scan a new slide now, but I will try to find something already scanned to give you an idea. Electrical Utilities will be fun with that animated mural. It will look neat once that wall is blue.

Best,

Eric

Hi all, work has been very busy in Reaction Grid. I have taken over the redesign of the theme centre, and have completely rebuilt it. The newer version is much for accurate and looks great. Due to prim limitations, there are a few minor errors, but this is very close nonetheless. I hope everyone enjoys, do keep in mind that we can change things if needed. MB replies alot, I would like to hear feedback from Bill, Molasses, j4 as well! :)

Interior with partially completed Phase I Democracity

post-4303-124390654391_thumb.png

Overall view

post-4303-124390661709_thumb.png

Exit from the Perisphere

post-4303-124390668974_thumb.png

• Like 1

Here's a view of the exit steps from the Perisphere:

39-exiting-perisphere.jpg

A few comments based on that.

1) It looks like your image is reversed. I don't think mine was reversed but will check it again as soon as I can pull the full-size image.

2) The steps entered onto a much wider platform than what is shown in your image. There should be a walkway area on either side of the steps.

• Like 1

Hi Bill, Hi Joey,

Bill - neat pic like many I have but your image, to me - the best thing is on the floor! Looking good Joey. Yes, your image is backwards Joey. Bill is also correct about the width of the platform and the spaces on either side. The railing was more towards a reddish orange although for some reason I am remembering the railing on the exit staircase to be white - anyway it ended with curved bend to horizontal about halfway up the staircase and had an "interior" rail for people to hold I believe. There was also a kind of screen inside the clear portion of the Helicline and Observation Platform "walls" for strength I'd guess. There was a sort of landing as well on that exit - operating on memory here. Roughly speaking, the space on either side of the platform that Bill is talking about and you need to add were app. equal to the width of the opening divided by two and placed evenly on either side. I believe there was some sort of access door on what will be the right side of your Observation Platform as well. The vertical supports for the tranparent walls were not so close together - something like 5 between each Helicline post. Also, there was a most fascinating Information Booth under the end of the Helicine which incorporated the last Helicline column in its "counter" space. There were access doors or panels on the interior side of the information booth and also along the base of the Trylon - at least 3 and likely more (including the 2 just along the Information Booth). The other images - the Perisphere seems to small or the Trylon too wide and not tapered. I believe the base of the underside of the Observation Platform, where the neat little curved area of pavement was (less brown in the pavement BTW), needs to be pushed back flush in terms of the vertical line of this corner of the Trylon. This is the second time I have seen this error - first was on a rather impressive model. Also, I believe the Helicine ended on a pavement section end or spoke so to speak. It is good to see what looks like the correct awning for the Perisphere Room. Democracity does not look quite right beyond the colors which seem a little odd (the water anyway)- I don't know - I have images of the entrances/exits from inside but can't get at them for now. I am sure others will add more for you. I am wiped out here :(

Best,

Eric

Yes, MB, indeed it is. Bottom of page 18. Here's the caption:

Guests exiting the Perisphere onto the 65-foot high Observation Platform usually found themselves in a natural wind tunnel, making it necessary for these ladies to hang tightly onto their hats. The dress code in 1939 was obviously far different than what one encounters in today’s theme parks. Most men and women wore hats, and women in pants were quite the exception. In fact, many wore gloves and other pieces of their “Sunday best.”

Hi All.

Thanks for the input! I was aware of the information booth under the helicline, I have not yet added that yet. The curves and angles are making the prim locations a bit different. As for the size of the two structures and the taper of the trylon, it was just the way the picture is taken, The trylon is tapered and there is a bit more room in between. As for the width of the platform and steps, I believe we have the width of out bridge somewhere around 9 Metres. I do not know if this is correct or not; I recalled somewhere reading that it was around 9 metres, but I might be wrong. I will give a shot at redoing the bridge in RG later today when I have more time. AS for the rest - i'll check that out later when I have more time too. Thanks for the input and I hope MB feels better.