bagels

the collection or landfill room

thanks thats only 1/2 of it!!trying to do a new price guide for 64/65 wf

YOUR WELCOME!!!!

I just noticed that for the first time a week or two ago. The camera passed by so quickly I couldn't be sure that I didn't imagine it. And of course they never panned back to it to confirm. Glad to know it was real!

It was visible a few times in this week's episode. So if you are inside the "TGS" office and exiting, the photo is on the right side next to the door.

This is a sugar packet from Borden's Dairy World of Tomorrow. The sugar is still in it. I don't have a spare, but I will keep my eye out for one for you in my antique travels.

Thanks! Borden's is one my focus areas of 1939 fair. My prize pieces of my Borden sub-collection are the yearbooks. The "Borden Boys" were a tight knit group and did yearbooks into the 1950s. If I recall 5 were killed in WW2 and 3 are still around. One of the "boys" gave the Smithsonian his collection a few years back. After all the fair was Elsie's birthplace!

Still kicking myself over missing an opportunity several years ago to buy a blanket that used to sit on Elsie's back at the 39 NYWF. Although, it probably would've been a rather "fragrant" addition to my collection. :P

I agree with Mary Ellen. That plaque is amazing to see. I wonder if all of the pavilions had such dedication plaques and, if so, what became of them. Thank you for positing this.

Awesome collection bagels! It was well worth the wait. The Vatican Pavilion plaque obviously must be a favorite of yours. A one-of-a-kind! The street signs area great too. Thank you for sharing (and get the other half up and photograhed soon!).

Awesome collection bagels! It was well worth the wait. The Vatican Pavilion plaque obviously must be a favorite of yours. A one-of-a-kind! The street signs area great too. Thank you for sharing (and get the other half up and photograhed soon!).

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!my favorite is ...............my set of 4 chrysler chairs ..we will post those in next segment thanks to everyone for there support...jerry bagels is also the name of my store on long island everyone is invited to come in say hi!! and see the sinclair/dino poster hanging in the store...yes i bought the one that was posted here a few weeks back...regards jerry

That's my dilemma too. I have everything packed away, but I never really get to see the stuff. That's why I stopped collecting for the most part.

I still want the Loft's Unisphere Candy Mold to hang on my kitchen wall!! LOL!! :D

LIZ...AND I STILL HAVE THE CHOC MOLDS ,JUST WAITING FOR A GOOD TRADE

Okay, I can certainly understand why the Chrysler chairs would be your favorite! I remember last year or so a couple of those sets of Chrysler chairs came up on eBay and I desperately wished I had somewhere to put them. That's one auction I really wish I could have bid on!!!

Okay, I can certainly understand why the Chrysler chairs would be your favorite! I remember last year or so a couple of those sets of Chrysler chairs came up on eBay and I desperately wished I had somewhere to put them. That's one auction I really wish I could have bid on!!!

yea, i'm thinking it was 3 years ago those chairs were on ebay.thats where mine came from,the kicker is the paint scaped off so the back logos are visable now

LIZ...AND I STILL HAVE THE CHOC MOLDS ,JUST WAITING FOR A GOOD TRADE

Jerry - I wish I either had a good trade or could afford those molds!! Unfortunately not gonna happen anytime soon since I am unemployed!!

Jerry - I wish I either had a good trade or could afford those molds!! Unfortunately not gonna happen anytime soon since I am unemployed!!

sorry,anything u want to sell?

On Wednesday, March 18, 2009, I visited with Mike Pender at his home in Sarasota, Florida. I first met Mike at the first Walk in the Park, June 2, 2001.

Since then, we've met here in Florida twice. Mike was a NYWF 1964 / '65 Corporation staff member whose responsibilty covered supervision and co-ordination of all events at the domestic pavilions at the NYWF.

Mike is now 84 years old, living with his wife in retirement in Sarasota. Most of our afternoon together was spent reminiscing about The Fair and its President, Robert Moses whose office was only thirty feet from Mike's at the Fair Heaquarters. Mike is a rather mild mannered guy who was the exact opposite of the loud, demanding Robert Moses. He heard nearly every word that Moses ever spoke from thirty feet away!

Most dramatic in his collection were two framed items, one of an artist's rendering of the United Staes Pavilion drawn long before actual construction began. The second is a photo of Robert Moses that was originally in the NYWF corporation headquarters building.

Many of Mike's corporate artifacts have been posted here on PTU by his son, known here as ELPENDO. Mike is the man who published the "World's Fair Collector's Society" bulletins, which are now collectors items themselves!

To say hello to Mike, send an email to WFCS@aol.com

post-4015-1237562168_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1237562189_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1237562214_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1237562254_thumb.jpg

The second photograph, the one of Mr Moses with the Unisphere in the background, appeared in the National Geographic article on the Fair in April of 1965.

Yes, thank you very much for the nice story Ray. Glad to hear that a great fair "legacy" like Mike is doing well. I miss the WFCS. I only became a member a few years before it ceased operations, but always enjoyed reading my bulletins when they'd arrive.

And as far as elpendo is concerned--I've purchased quite a few quality items from his eBay auctions over the past couple of years (including a couple of items directly linked to Mike himself!).

Ditto on thanks for the story Ray. As for the Mssrs. Pender, I have never communicated with the elder Mr. Pender, but have bought a number of items from "elpendo," and a finer person to deal with would be difficult to find, indeed.

Ditto on thanks for the story Ray. As for the Mssrs. Pender, I have never communicated with the elder Mr. Pender, but have bought a number of items from "elpendo," and a finer person to deal with would be difficult to find, indeed.

yes elpendo is a great source for wf items!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!now if he will just sell me a flag...............

Yes, thank you very much for the nice story Ray. Glad to hear that a great fair "legacy" like Mike is doing well. I miss the WFCS. I only became a member a few years before it ceased operations, but always enjoyed reading my bulletins when they'd arrive.

And as far as elpendo is concerned--I've purchased quite a few quality items from his eBay auctions over the past couple of years (including a couple of items directly linked to Mike himself!).

Thanks for the photos. I have purchased some special items on EBAY for Jess's landfill collection from "elpendo", including some personal items of Mr. Penders. Glen is right there isn't a kinder, fairer, classier ebayer around. I had never really known the full extent of Mr. Pender's involvement with the WF ( now I am more enlightened) but I am very pleased to see photos of him looking well and to hear that Ray had a nice afternoon in Sarasota.

There are a lot of special people that Jess and I have met thru her interest in the 64-65 Worlds Fair. Thank you Ray for sharing Mr. Pender's kind face with the rest of us!

/ Nancy

PS: Jess- look at Mr Pender's landfill!! There is that cool plate that your sister gave you for Christmas!!! We loved the rendering on that.

The Penders are a legacy unto themselves. John has been fantastic in not only selling some rare items but sharing the info and enthusiasm here at PTU. Mike is a one of a kind individual that has also shared much over the years and appears in Curtis' and Terri's DVD Peace Through Understanding.