bagels

the collection or landfill room

my camera is broke so my post will arrive next week but i'm sure someone is willing to start....jerry bagels

I'll bite. These have been on here in the past, but I suppose now's a good time to bring them out again. This isn't actually a room at my house or anything. About five years ago I put up a display of 39-40 and 64-65 stuff to commemorate the 40th and 65th anniversaries of the opening of the two great New York World's Fairs at the library I work at. I had five display cases to work with. The two on the left I filled with 1939-40 stuff and the two on the right had 1964-65 stuff. The one in the middle had informational stuff and a few larger items from both Fairs.

The first three photos below are of the 1939-40 landfill and the other three cover the 1964-65 stuff. Unfortunately, the vast majority of this stuff is sitting unceremoniously up in our attic at the moment. I have a few choice items that my better half allowed me to display in a china hutch.

post-894-1236131051_thumb.jpg

post-894-1236131071_thumb.jpg

post-894-1236131085_thumb.jpg

post-894-1236131106_thumb.jpg

post-894-1236131116_thumb.jpg

post-894-1236131124_thumb.jpg

Do File-n-Store boxes count, or do you actually want to see the stuff? :D

That's my dilemma too. I have everything packed away, but I never really get to see the stuff. That's why I stopped collecting for the most part.

I still want the Loft's Unisphere Candy Mold to hang on my kitchen wall!! LOL!! :D

I have some of those items from each fair (or similar ones) but I, too, have things packed away. I guess I don't want anything to get damaged or something. When I think about it, that is a strange way to collect. I really should display that stuff. And the really weird thing is that after I croak, somebody is going to find all of that stuff and think it's all junk and toss it.

Yeah, this is very interesting. A thread to showcase our collections has turned into a realization that many of us have a good amount of landfill, but have all (or most) of it packed away. I sometimes think about the possibility of going to an estate sale and finding a whole cache of World's Fair stuff cheap. Looks like a lot of PTUers (myself included) may be guilty of furthering that image of packrats collecting boxes and boxes of "junk". I've posted photos above, but they're five-years-old now, and most of that stuff hasn't seen the light of day since that time.

Hopefully worldsfairent will see this thread and repost photos here of some of the awesome stuff he has on display. You out there Trey? Anybody else got their stuff out there for all to see?

I have one item, now that I think about it, that is very important to me. It is a full sized (about 9 feet by 15' or thereabout) 1964-1965 NYWF official flag. It is packed away (I would need a massive flagpole to display it). However, I have made precise arrangements for it to be given to an appropriate museum when I buy the farm. It won't be tossed as junk--unless that museum does it, in which case, I will haunt them.

You can put caveats on your donations. Many people do.

Okay Glen... because you threw down the gauntlet (and mostly because I've been too busy chasing my own tail of late to spend much time on my beloved PTU/WFC)... I grabbed a camera and snapped a few quick pix tonight of some of my own landfill. I've got a whole bunch of other items scattered across two different offices as well (including hundreds of 39 NYWF photos-- some in frames/most in boxes, vaudevillian and magic playbills, etc) but this group of shots reflects much of what I hold most dear at home.

post-585-1236236206_thumb.jpg

As I've probably mentioned here before over the years, my five main areas of landfill interest are as follows:

The 1915 PAN-PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION, (I have several prized Novagems, a souvenir pocket watch, and a period paperweight filled with soil dug from the construction of the Panama Canal which I count among my favorites)...

post-585-1236236364_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236236850_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236239794_thumb.jpg

The 1939-40 NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR (my biggest passion-- which includes personal family photos, souvenir jewelry, glassware, ceramics, vintage posters, textile souvenirs, every type of trinket, doodad, and brochure imaginable, my beloved Rob Bianco T&P model, a masonry brick from the Aquacade, and an actual glass brick from the Schaeffer Pavilion--thanks, MB!)...

post-585-1236237041_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237097_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237149_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237269_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237327_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237376_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237424_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237474_thumb.jpg

A collection of hundreds of World's Fair, Expo, Regional, Industrial, Agricultural, and State Fair tickets/passes/tokens (from Crystal Palace 1851 to Expo 2007) including a few extremely rare admission passes to the Original Ferris Wheel at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago...

post-585-1236237637_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236237804_thumb.jpg

A reference library of both vintage and contemporary books and films about Fairs, Expositions, Expo Architecture and Art, and Amusement Parks (including an original and complete seven volume history of the PPIE, not to mention all of Bill Cotter and Bill Young's amazing books which still await autographing)...

post-585-1236238061_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236238180_thumb.jpg

And a small but growing wing of sideshow/magician banners and posters, most of which currently adorn the walls of my dungeon at CSI:NY, but at least one of which is a circus trapeze act banner that was salvaged from a fire several years ago at the Houdini Museum in Niagara Falls and now takes up an entire wall of my home...

post-585-1236238325_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236238431_thumb.jpg

post-585-1236238593_thumb.jpg

In other words, my kids won't be able to afford college in a few years... but hey, they can always lounge around the house on a Cane-O-Seat looking at Stereoviews while my wife plays the theme from Billy Rose's Aquacade on the piano and I serve them peanuts in little tin Planter's bowls some poor schmuck just like me bought for far less money seventy years ago in Flushing Meadow!

Goodnight from Hollywood. :rolleyes:

:blink: WOW! :blink:

Many thanks Trey. What a collection! This has been a good exercise in "you-learn-something-new-every-day". While you've probably mentioned all these interests in various forums and threads over the years, I don't think I knew about your interest in magic/magicians. Many of your pieces (and the way they're displayed) look like they're straight out of a museum! You're very lucky to have an understanding wife ;) . And, those novagems are simply beautiful! You must be very proud of your collection. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but when watching recent episodes of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" I see that Capt. Danny Ross' office is decorated with New York World's Fair memorabilia. Some of the items on the wall are small, but the new HD episodes on the UniversalHD channel bring these into clearer focus.

The question I have: was the decor a reflection or the Capt. Ross character (I have not see references to the fair from him in any episode yet, however the official NBC web site has this: Eric Bogosian plays Captain Ross who was rewarded with the Major Case Squad after heading a successful three-year Joint Task Force on International Money Laundering that has just been dissolved. He brings Wheeler with him to Major Case – he is her mentor. Captain Ross is divorced and a New York history buff. ), or from the actor (Eric Bogosian), the series creator, producer, director, or the set designer?

The world's fair items were not in there when Jamey Sheridan's character, Capt. James Deakins was in charge.

I have seen other nods to the NYWF in L&O:CI such as the young girl found dead under the Unisphere (titled "World's Fair") and the episode with the killer lady astronaut ("Rocket Man") filmed at the Science Museum.

The new season starts on Sunday, April 19.

You know, I was watching Law and Order Criminal Intent about a year ago and I swore I saw some NYWF64-65 thing in the boss' office! I kept watching the scene with great interest but they did not show the same camera shot again.

Funny you posted that!

If anyone sees anything like that, could you post the episode name, guest star or identifying characteristics? I'd like to check that out on the local library's DVD collection.

On "30 Rock" there's a beautiful photograph of the Unisphere on the wall in the writer's office.

On "30 Rock" there's a beautiful photograph of the Unisphere on the wall in the writer's office.

We watch that all of the time and never noticed it. Thanks for the heads up!

Well,

I am gonna have to get me a camera! ;)

Trey, I am so pleased to see you have that glass block in such a nice place on display! :) Everything look so wonderful.

Best,

Eric

We watch that all of the time and never noticed it. Thanks for the heads up!

Episode 10 Season 3 Generalissimo

00:01:07

On the wall by the kitchen, a traffic light is on a table in front of it.

I just noticed that for the first time a week or two ago. The camera passed by so quickly I couldn't be sure that I didn't imagine it. And of course they never panned back to it to confirm. Glad to know it was real!

Thanks Glen. Happy I can show this stuff off to people who appreciate it!

Trey, first of all you home looks quite comfy! The older World's Fair items and art have a very warm tone, mixed with some antiques like the book case, it has a calming peaceful effect...thanks for posting...I am at peace.

Very nice of you to notice and mention that, Mitch. Although New York's "World of Tomorrow" and even most of the Victorian era fairs long before it were looking ahead in some way toward the future... thinking about World's Fairs and Expos always puts me in a "warm and fuzzy" nostalgic place that I try to reflect in the space where I celebrate them.

Kudos on your wonderful collection as well. Looks like you could fill your own wing at the Queens Museum with all the great stuff you've assembled.

I am astounded by the quality and presentation of these collections. Great stuff.

Trey the T&P under glass - what was that from?

Trey-

I still continue to LOVE the way that you display your 1939NYWF model.. it is incredible.

I'll post my photos of my cluttered landfill when i come home for break next week.

I have only a few items of landfill in my dorm room... My Postcard Poster (displaying all of the postcards you can buy at the fair), and a few various WF glasses, which i use all the time.