waynebretl

Spruce it up with paint - and haul out that trash!

Great stuff. Where on earth are you finding all of it?

The usual - it's just lucky that some sellers include the term "fair" when it appears in an ad - then I check out all their items, because usually there are several fair related ads that they have split out, even if they missed the fact. I really do wonder how much I still miss because sellers only called out the main advertiser and not the fair connection.

Profits from soap can sponsor a lot of prizes! Procter & Gamble sweepstakes, with prizes of 200 trips to the fair and 30,000 Rand McNally globes

Holding the ticket to a bright light shows pictures of the Rocket Thrower and the Lunar Fountain under the gold ink. I wonder if that was a winning combo?

Procter and Gamble Sweeps.pdf

... 30,000 Rand McNally globes

I like how they feature the then-new 727 Astrojet. That's when the model of the plane you flew mattered and travel was a suit-worthy adventure.

Under "Fair Play" on the right of the PDF they scold, "Some women try to redeem coupons..." That copy writer would be down in the media room enduring the Proctor and Gamble HR Sensitivity Training DVD with Don Draper if he dared that today.

Muzak, maestro, please

Muzak.pdf

It's all coming in by GMC truck (and being hauled away by REO, according to post #1)

GMC trucks.pdf

Roebling cables suspend the NYSP Tent of Tomorrow roof

Beautiful! 9 psf, even more impressive when compared to the lamella pipe GE dome roof at 16 psf

The most impressive thing: It's still there with zero maintenance, no snow load but still there.

When Johnny and I were there last month even the tension ring terminators still looked good.

1214299384_ACNEP-L.jpg

Beautiful! 9 psf, even more impressive when compared to the lamella pipe GE dome roof at 16 psf

The most impressive thing: It's still there with zero maintenance, no snow load but still there.

When Johnny and I were there last month even the tension ring terminators still looked good.

If you meant pounds per square foot, why is 9 more impressive than 16? Even comparing 9 pounds per square foot cables to 9 pounds per square foot pipes, the pipes would be more impressive to me.... let alone 16 psf pipes.

...maybe you can shed some light on the thinking.

Of course we might also consider the weight that needed to be born--- if they held up a lot more weight with 9 psf cables than the GE roof held up with 16 psf pipes, then that's quite an impressive engineering solution. Maybe GE was over-engineered and didn't need those size pipes? Or maybe GE's pipes were mostly for aesthetic purposes, more than bearing weight?

To me, putting the massive Federal Pavilion up on four small pivot points was pretty impressive... and the AT&T Bell Pavilion was similarly impressive.

If you meant pounds per square foot, why is 9 more impressive than 16? Even comparing 9 pounds per square foot cables to 9 pounds per square foot pipes, the pipes would be more impressive to me.... let alone 16 psf pipes.

...maybe you can shed some light on the thinking.

Of course we might also consider the weight that needed to be born--- if theyheld up a lot more weight with 9psf cables than the GE roof held up with 16 psf pipes, then that's quite an impressive engineering solution. Maybe GE was over-engineered and didn't need those size pipes? Or maybe GE's pipes were mostly for aesthetic purposes, more than bearing weight?

To me, putting the massive Federal Pavilion up on four small pivot points was pretty impressive... and the AT&T Bell Pavilion was similarly impressive.

They both had to holdup two things - their own weight and the snow load - so less material per square foot is indeed impressive.

The other impressive item is that the Zetlin TOT cable roof is 53,784 sq ft and the Becket designed GE pavilion lamella pipe roof covered an area of 29,544 sq ft

some Welton Becket designs:

1223672796_YRo8F-L-1.jpg

Was the 9 psf and 16 psf the capacity that the cable and pipe were rated for, or what they actually were made to carry (including their own weight) in their applications at NYS and GE ?

Besides their own weight, the NYS cables had to hold up a plastic center dome, and the clear plastic roof covering (Kelwall?).

How about G.E.? I suspect that some roof panels were suspended underneath the pipes. And there was the multi-colored electric light system up there. Did the lamella pipes carry the weight of anything else?

Does the tension ring suspended by the NYS cables also serve a purpose to keep the vertical columns aligned just right? Over the years I wonder how much (if any) stress that has put on the cables.

Here's another interesting observation:

Is the roof of Madison Square Garden a similar load-bearing cable arrangement as the NYS Pavilion?

interior.jpg

MSG is a single layer cable system, while the TOT was a double layer to dampen flutter, as an open structure. MSG was advertised as the World's largest open span roof and the building is a 450' diameter topping the TOT's 305' on the long axis

post-3752-0-53060100-1300769057_thumb.jp It's hard to say if the cables go out to the full 450'. the 9 psf is structural mass only so that's the tension ring and cables, the Kalwall panels were not part of the structure (nor would lighting or close out of the GE roof be part of the 16 psf ). GE, TOT and MSG would all have to hold a 40 psf snow load. I'd be curious about what the psf weight of the MSG roof is.

48 spokes, just like the TOT!

You're arriving in a Caddy limo, of course?

A Carey Cadillac limousine...

Carey Cadillac part 1.pdf

Another Fischbach and Moore electrical contractors - this time with four pavilions

Fischbach and Moore.pdf

Carey Cadillac part 2

The map shows several no-shows . . . World of Food, Mali, American Indian Village, Virgin Islands, Country Fair and Turkey.

Coventry Climax pump ad (mentioned in another thread as an ebay item, here without watermarks)

Coventry Climax Pump ad.pdf

Thanks Wayne.

I remember that East Side Airlines Terminal well. Nice building; confusing name, to a kid knowing it was miles from the airport.

http://sepiatown.com/813094-Former-East-Side-Airlines-Terminal

That was the Kenner Girder and Panel era. Any structure incorporating both personnel and vehicular access was fascinating to me. Every unexplained penetration I assumed could be adapted for future inclusion of the glorious monorail system that for some inexplicable reason the mean politicians lacked the vision to build. I had the routes planned and everything! Jeesh!