dcicconejr

39-40 World's Fair Carousel

Can anyone point me in the direction of any pictures or information about the 39 World's Fair carousel? I've seen some pictures of it just below the Life Savers parachute drop. Since I've read the drop was moved from one year to the next, I can't tell you which year it was underneath it either. Any help or pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

This article implies the possibility that the carousel from the 39-40 fair may be the famous Nunley's. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/nyregion...gold.html?fta=y

From the National Carousel Association census:

Nunley's Carousel

Garden City, NY

Description: Murphy-Stein & Goldstein

Carousel Class: Classic Wood Carousel

Last Update: 2005

Year Built: 1910-12

Type: 3 rows, Park, All Wood composition

Figures: 30 Jumping Horses, 11 Standing Horses, 1 Menagerie Animal, 2 chariots

(1 Lion)

Music: Band Organ: Wurl 153

Comments: Carousel is undergoing restoration. It is scheduled to operate near the Cradle of Aviation Museum and Long Island Children’s Museum in 2008.

History: Canarsie, Brooklyn, NY, 1912 to 1939

Nunley's Amusement Park, Baldwin, NY, 1939 to 1996

Storage, Garden City, NY, 1996 to present

Directions/Hours: Carousel is under restoration.

Mailing Address: Museum Row, Mitchell Field, Garden City, NY, 11530

Telephone: 516-572-0411

It is possible that the carousel spent a couple of years at the fair before reaching Baldwin and it wasn;t recorded on the census. However, I did find reference that Nunley's purchased the carousel from an amusement park in 1940. Still may fit in the timeline...You certainly need pictures to compare. If this is the carousel, then good news since its being restored.

Mitch S.

"Since I’ve read the drop was moved from one year to the next, I can’t tell you which year it was underneath it either."

Hi there,

since the drop was moved the have it closer the other children's activities such Children's Word one might conclude the photographs of it you mentioned of it under the jump are from 1940. I assume this was the "merry-go-round" at Gimbels Children's World, or was there an additional carousel? I do not have any photographs of a World's Fair carousel as far as I know, but I do have good color slides of Children's World and I will have a look when I can.

Best,

Eric

No no. That was a theory at one time but It's defiantly not the carousel that went to Nunley's Baldwin.

On this site I did find one small pic of people reaching for the ring machine on the carousel. It was in with a lot of other small color pics. The pic I have also shows lots of the little Life Savers on the jump as well. I know in some pics I've seen the drop doesn't have any.

I appreciate the help, thanks!

Dennis

<!--quoteo(post=73052:date=Jan 12 2009, 07:29 AM:name=magikbilly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (magikbilly @ Jan 12 2009, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=73052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Since I’ve read the drop was moved from one year to the next, I can’t tell you which year it was underneath it either."

Hi there,

since the drop was moved the have it closer the other children's activities such Children's Word one might conclude the photographs of it you mentioned of it under the jump are from 1940. I assume this was the "merry-go-round" at Gimbels Children's World, or was there an additional carousel? I do not have any photographs of a World's Fair carousel as far as I know, but I do have good color slides of Children's World and I will have a look when I can.

Best,

Eric<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello again Dennis,

While searching for info about the carousels I see you posted on a forum about Nunley's and the park they had in Bethpage at the corner of Hempstead Tpk and Hicksville Rd. I grew up in Massapequa the next town south and spent enough time at Smiley's Happyland and Jolly Roger's restauarant in Bethpage. Used to ride my bike there to get a hot dog and play the arcade games. I remember a few rides outdoors and when they built a bumper car pavilion it was the talk of the town (the kids anyway). I believe their carousel was indoors. A shopping center is there now. Also, an early Wesson's was next door as well as an early McDonald's just down the road.

Those were the days...

Hello Mitch

That Smiley's was originally a Nunley park as well. I was lucky enough to enjoy Nunley's in Baldwin growing up and would have continued to enjoy it still I'm sure.

<!--quoteo(post=73055:date=Jan 12 2009, 09:00 AM:name=MitchS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MitchS @ Jan 12 2009, 09:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=73055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello again Dennis,

While searching for info about the carousels I see you posted on a forum about Nunley's and the park they had in Bethpage at the corner of Hempstead Tpk and Hicksville Rd. I grew up in Massapequa the next town south and spent enough time at Smiley's Happyland and Jolly Roger's restauarant in Bethpage. Used to ride my bike there to get a hot dog and play the arcade games. I remember a few rides outdoors and when they built a bumper car pavilion it was the talk of the town (the kids anyway). I believe their carousel was indoors. A shopping center is there now. Also, an early Wesson's was next door as well as an early McDonald's just down the road.

Those were the days...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dennis,

I can't remember when the bumper cars were added. I rememeber seeing the rectangular building of cement block going up right along Hicksville road next to the entrance to the park. We watched it go up with rectangular openings as windows. I moved to Long Island from Brooklyn in 1963 when I was five years old. I think it was already built when I started riding my bike there by 1970 or so. Sorry I can't pin it down. I'll poke around.

I remember the animated organ, very entertaining.

I know Jolly Roger's was separately owned and run.

Mitch

Someone just showed me the color film of the carousel. The picture i found on here was acctually a still from it. Looked like it was something restored from some kind of collection cause the film didnt have a scratch on it.

Wonderful! Any more clues as to the origin?

Definatly interesting. Thanks for the find!

I don't know if this article has any information that would be helpful to you but it does mention the fair's carousel.

Good luck with your quest.

I just bought a collection of photos that included a carousel view. I'll try to scan it this weekend. Please remind me Monday if I haven't posted anything.

Bill

Bill,

I only looked quick - this is '39 or '40? By the '39 Jump or by Gimbels Childrens World 1940? I'm guessing '40? I must have this somewhere but need to know in what slides/prints to look! :huh:

Best,

MB

PS - What is the publication date for the book?

The album says 1939 and I haven't seen anything that is clearly from 1940 in it, so I would say 1939.

If you were asking about the date for my book, I'm not 100% sure. They're supposed to lock it down now that the manuscript is in printing. We were aiming to have it available for the 70th anniversary of the Fair, so keep the fingers crossed.