RAY DASHNER

THE GATES ARE NOW CLOSED

It was forty-three years ago today that the lights were turned off at the NYWF. I was there on that day and for the last time made final audio recordings of the days activities.

For those of you that have not listened to my original recordings of The Fair's pavilions, shows and special events, here's a chance to do so.

Since this also happens to be my birthday (now 73), the celebration consists of sending a few presents to some of my PTU friends.

I will mail a copy of my recordings (transferred to CD-ROM) to the first twelve respondees who sends their mailing address to me at draydar@earthlink.net.

There are fifty audio tracks amounting to over ten hours of historic recordings on this disc. It is a one-of-a-kind archive since no other audio recordings were ever made by any other NYWF visitor. I am proud to be able to keep the memories of the NYWF alive via this audio archive.

Ray Dashner

I'd take you up on it Ray, but I already have the CD and want to let someone else have a chance. For those of you who don't have the disc, it's a great addition to any World's Fair Collection!

Happy 73rd Birthday Too!!

Kevin

Happy Birthday Ray/I was at the fair on Sat.Oct 16 1965.Truly a sad day,hope your birthday is much happier-Jerry

Happy Birthday, Ray!

I have greatly enjoyed your recordings and want to add my recommendation to those who don't have them to take you up on your generous offer.

Best to you!

Best Birthday wishes Ray I love the Mets recording you sent me. You know it is 30 degrees out this AM in Orange County, NY I wonder how cold it was that October 17 in Queens.

I just spotted this artsy-looking picture on the internet. I don't know when it was taken, but it makes me think of Ray's last departure from the Fair in the helicopter on closing day.

"the sun sets on the World's Fair"

184192358_o.jpg

Thanks for the greeting, Mary Ellen.

When you get my CD-ROM, listen to the track "ARRIVAL AT JFK". That track was recorded in the old TWA terminal (designed by Aero Saarinen) and it mentions the temperature and weather conditions. It certainly was very comfortable that day. Thirty degrees in Warwick! Proves global warming is still a fantasy!

Ray

Best Birthday wishes Ray I love the Mets recording you sent me. You know it is 30 degrees out this AM in Orange County, NY I wonder how cold it was that October 17 in Queens.

Randy,

My very last visit to NYWF was on Oct. 17, 1965 , but the memories are as clear as this mornings' Florida sunrise! For those of you that missed this memorable day, believe me when I say it was the most exciting eight hours ever spent at Flushing Meadows. I was only a speck of humanity amongst the more than 420,000 visitors that day and part of the excitement was to be part of that huge celebration. It was my last chance to record the events at the fair, so I decided to interview dozens of fairgoers to get their impressions of the impact that The Fair had on their lives. Everyone agreed it was difficult to imagine that this was never going to be seen again. How true it was then as it is now, no World's Fair on American soil has appeared that could match the splendor of NYWF! As my helicopter left the Heliport at sundown, I watched the lights of The Fair fade away as we flew towards JFK. As I did then, I now have tears in my eyes as I recollect the many hundreds of exciting hours that I spent at the New York World's Fair. It can never be forgotten.

Ray

I just spotted this artsy-looking picture on the internet. I don't know when it was taken, but it makes me think of Ray's last departure from the Fair in the helicopter on closing day.

"the sun sets on the World's Fair"

184192358_o.jpg

Randy,

My very last visit to NYWF was on Oct. 17, 1965 , but the memories are as clear as this mornings' Florida sunrise! For those of you that missed this memorable day, believe me when I say it was the most exciting eight hours ever spent at Flushing Meadows. I was only a speck of humanity amongst the more than 420,000 visitors that day and part of the excitement was to be part of that huge celebration. It was my last chance to record the events at the fair, so I decided to interview dozens of fairgoers to get their impressions of the impact that The Fair had on their lives. Everyone agreed it was difficult to imagine that this was never going to be seen again. How true it was then as it is now, no World's Fair on American soil has appeared that could match the splendor of NYWF! As my helicopter left the Heliport at sundown, I watched the lights of The Fair fade away as we flew towards JFK. As I did then, I now have tears in my eyes as I recollect the many hundreds of exciting hours that I spent at the New York World's Fair. It can never be forgotten.

Ray

Very nicely put Ray.

I was not old enough on October 17th 1965 (8 at the time) to understand the significance of the day.

Now, I would understand it but October 17th has another meaning to me as it is also my wedding anniversary.

While it was not intentional to me to be married on that day, it does take some of the sting out of it for me when that day comes along each year ;) .

I hope October 17th 2008 was a good one for you.

David B.

On 17/10/2008 at 5:48 AM, RAY DASHNER said:

There are fifty audio tracks amounting to over ten hours of historic recordings on this disc. It is a one-of-a-kind archive since no other audio recordings were ever made by any other NYWF visitor.

Ray, is it possible at this late date to get a copy of your audio recordings of the Fair? As you may know now, I was also there with my recorder, and the sounds are spread out among my various posts in MP3 files. It would be exciting to listen to someone else's work. 

Ray passed away several years ago and is missed by all in the Community who knew him.     Many of us do have copies of his CD so I'm sure something can be worked out.

I read the above posts and find it sad that Ray had passed away (the post was dated 2008).

Is there any way I could get a copy of his recordings?  To anyone who has an extra, or could make a spare copy, I will be eternally grateful (and will pay costs, too).

Sunny, in addition you may have discovered some mp3 audio recordings at the bottom of several of my postings. I uploaded a bunch of them related to the subject at hand. Plus 12 minutes of just walking-around-the-fair sounds.

28 minutes ago, RalphQuinn said:

Sunny, in addition you may have discovered some mp3 audio recordings at the bottom of several of my postings. I uploaded a bunch of them related to the subject at hand. Plus 12 minutes of just walking-around-the-fair sounds.

I didn't find any mp3 files posted in this topic.  I have to hunt down your other posts.

Sadly Ray died a number of years ago and some of his links are no longer working. I do have copies of his tapes and will (someday) try to get them online again.

Ralph's MP3s are scattered on some of his posts. Happy hunting!

Is there a topic on the board of audio recordings of attractions/music/walking around at the Fair?

Digitized tapes of the fair might also be the kind of thing archive.org might be interested in hosting

• Like 1