magikbilly

Missing/Stolen Unhappy Magikbilly!

Hi All,

if anyone runs across the handtinted original photo below signed to me by Miss Millvina Dean it is my property missing/stolen in transit to me - please contact me at magikbilly@yahoo.com

It is/was very unique as it is/was an original handtinted photograph taken aboard the Adriatic on the stern (the ship on which the Titanic's Captain Smith made his famous "my life is boring I have never seen a wreck I am not good story material" quote...) in 1907 on that ships maiden voyage, and this 1924 photo shows a woman with her baby - just like Millvina Dean who signed this photograph for me just recently - she returned to England afer the disaster with her mother and brother - first and second class people went crazy just to hold her. Anyway, I am heartbroken. This one will never be replaced - but it is remotely possible it could turn up for sale. This is clearly not my month...

Eric :(

SIGNEDPIC08cEKL.2.jpg

Unique signed handtinted 1924 photo, signed by last and youngest Titanic survivor Millvina Dean 2008

That's sad - hope it's only temporarily missing.

Hi Wayne, Hi Trey,

many thanks. I never ever thought I would have such an item from a survivor - and boom - I don't :(

It is remotely possible that it will turn up in dead/lost letters in Georgia but that would be a miracle. It was in a sealed addressed mailer which was somewhow removed from another sealed addressed mailer. All I received was the larger mailer - empty - with a taped cut on the side. So, if no one opened it and it just busted out of the larger mailer it could still be delivered. I'll keep you uh.. posted. Bad joke.

Best,

Eric

I'm sorry to hear that. As an enthusiast of ocean liners and especially the Titanic, I can just imagine how special that is to you.

I hope your luck changes for the better and that photo is returned.

Hi worldsfairfan,

Many thanks. Yes, it meant a greatr deal to me. More than the bits and remnants of the Mauretania I have. I am trying to get together a replacement - a recent photo of the dear lady herself taken for me and signed for me. I hope it all works out and can be accomplished.

Best,

Eric

If you provided all the details to the Post Office there they usually make every effort to return items to the rightful owner. The problem is they go to a series of places to get sorted first. So it may take time. Keep the faith.

Hi Mary Ellen,

that is what I thought...

ring ring..."Hello. Post Office.

"Hi, I was sent a package from the UK..."

"Don't even bother coming down. There is nothing we can do. It is UK problem, nothing to do with us."

"You must be kidding?"

"NO. Goodbye"

MB :huh:

Millvinia will be OK although the auction proceeded - people are putting together aid for her as we speak. This is unthinkable - the woman is a dear lady.

Hi All,

Good news! This signed photo made its way to me after all this time :) It just popped up in the reg post with no postage due or anything. It is in perfect condition as well :) A happy ending to a sad story!

Best,

MB

Millvinia will be OK although the auction proceeded - people are putting together aid for her as we speak. This is unthinkable - the woman is a dear lady.

I hate hearing things like this. It is unthinkable.

This smacks of Harold Russell's situation. He was the double amputee from "The Best Years of Our Lives" who won two academy awards. He had to sell one of his Oscars to cover his wife's medical bills and got roundly criticized for it. To add insult to injury the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts & Sciences only offered him a $25,000 LOAN if he would not sell it. Harold was the truest form of an American hero (at least in my eyes) and still could not catch a break. :(

Yeah,

I am very happy :)

I felt to bad as she took such time to inscribe it - I had hope but never really thought it would turn up so soon. I half expected to find it on eBay. And, better than this, Miss Dean is well and her auction went way better than expected and many have joined in and have given additional help and now she is enjoying herself everyday from what I understand, starting with a full English breakfast. :)

Thanks,

MB

Thanks Bill,

I am really thrilled. It is rather hard to believe. I had her sign with a new Sharpie ultra fine point which dried on the hantinted color matte 1924 photo paper with the shiny look of an old black fountain pen. Can't ask for more!

Eric :)

Good for you, MB - glad there was an upper after that downer.

I just received an oversized envelope that I have been waiting for, that was lost somewhere within the post office for 5 weeks. I know it was handed to a postal clerk at the post office by my father, not put in a mailbox. Arrived with stamps uncancelled. Very strange. Makes me wonder where this limbo is that letters get caught in.

I had a similar worry about a maritime item that took over three months to arrive inj Boston from Austrilia. Of course, it went by surface so I expected a long delivery time, but by the time it arrived I gave up on it. It was a lifering from Chandris Lines Britanis that washed up on the shore in Western Australia.

I get a lot of collector postage stamps & first day covers (shipped inside packets) from overseas. I collect Int'l Expos / World's Fairs and Olympic Games. Most arrive within a week or two, but this past week I got something from Pakistan that was mailed in mid-September. It's not predictable at all. One seller in Jordan e-mailed this week to ask why I hadn't paid yet for something I bought on Nov.9th. I answered and reminded him I paid electronically on the 12th and e-mailed him the confirmation. He said 'oh, that's right, and I mailed it to you on the 15th'. Okay, well, it hasn't arrived yet. ;)

By the way, I've noticed that small packets from Thailand get opened for inspection a LOT more than from any other country. I get probably one a week from a British eBay seller located in Thailand, and probably every third one arrives having been opened (and re-sealed) by the postal inspectors.

My wife is a customs import broker, and she says it is because of southeast asian drug dealers shipping their stuff in powder form through the mail.

One seller in Jordan e-mailed this week to ask why I hadn't paid yet for something I bought on Nov.9th. I answered and reminded him I paid electronically on the 12th and e-mailed him the confirmation. He said 'oh, that's right, and I mailed it to you on the 15th'. Okay, well, it hasn't arrived yet. ;)

It arrived today.