Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

HOW BIG???

Jason,

I agree with Randy; the CN tower, the tallest of them all and at the site of the CNE, should be there. :)

According to the Hemisfair 68 Official Guidebook, the Tower of the Americas is 622', not 750'.

Wikipedia provides this clarification:

750 ft (229 m) to top of the antenna.

622 ft (190 m) to top of roof.

579 ft (176 m) to indoor observation deck.

560 ft (170 m) to outdoor observation deck.

550 ft (168 m) to restaurant and stationary level.

Jason,

I agree with Randy; the CN tower, the tallest of them all and at the site of the CNE, should be there. :)

I need to add a clarification. Apparently the Dubai Tower, which is still under construction, exceeded the CN Tower in height in April of this year. So the CN Tower is the highest completed tower in the world.

I really can't go with anything higher than the Stratosphere, since that one already is chopped. I would need to make a whole new chart if I add CN tower. I really just set out to make a chart of structures that I have personally visited. I don't want to go crazy and bring Dubai in to it. (or the Philadelphia City Hall, or anything else, thank you!)I have people messaging me also to include skyscrapers from their hometown. lol What you see is what you get, folks!

I really can't go with anything higher than the Stratosphere, since that one already is chopped. I would need to make a whole new chart if I add CN tower. I really just set out to make a chart of structures that I have personally visited. I don't want to go crazy and bring Dubai in to it. (or the Philadelphia City Hall, or anything else, thank you!)I have people messaging me also to include skyscrapers from their hometown. lol What you see is what you get, folks!

It would be easy to include skyscrapers from my town, we have none! :D

OK, let's complicate things further... ;)

The Tower of the Americas is 622' to the roof of the restaurant/observation deck. Is the Space Needle's height measured to the top of the restaurant/observation deck or to the top of the antenna (I'm not sure if it really is an antenna but the pointy thing on top that resembles an antenna)?

Just as a matter of observation, the Space Needle has remained a very stunning example of 1960's space age architecture while the Tower of the Americas looks like it was made on-the-cheap. Some of the early architectural renderings of the Tower showed the restaurant/observation deck as a more conical shape... definately more interesting that what was built. My guess is the Tower became the victim of budget cuts at some point. Anybody know the story?

Pretty soon you're gonna say that the tallest structure in Oklahoma changed when they sold off the last World's Fair cube luminaire. :D

Seriously, that tower at Oral Roberts University is about the same height as the New York State Pavilion towers, isn't it?

prayertower.jpg

OKTULoraltower_2646.jpg

499462871_89e4fe872f_m.jpg

63097069_acecfb8093_m.jpg

2219622151_1b1568a06b_m.jpg

2220417942_89763efd5f_m.jpg

1397803967_7666ac030e_m.jpg

The Prayer Tower on Tulsa's Oral Roberts University campus is 200 feet tall-- and along with 23 other buildings, was designed by architect Frank Wallace in 1965.

oru08.JPG

Because I was born and raised in Tulsa (and pretty much grew up in the shadow of ORU), I used to spend a lot of time wandering around that campus as a kid. It was particularly great for marathon games of hide and seek! But I think it also often struck my inner "world's fair" chord-- even before I knew what that was. The whole place seems like it could easily have been some kind of Expo site with a Christian theme.

Oral-Roberts-University-C5DB16DE.jpg

hands_3168_sm.jpg

oral3.jpg

oral12.jpg

And much like our beloved FMCP... it's also seen better years. I just don't think much of that classic 60's "Jetsonian" architecture was designed to last very long. An old friend of mine from the "Hide and Seek Crew" went back there last year and took a few photos so we could post them on a site called "LOST TULSA" which is devoted to things we native Tulsans all miss the most about the Sooner State's most beautiful city.

Here's a link to the article if anyone's interested:

LOST TULSA ARTICLE: Oral Roberts University in Decay

What a time capsule that campus is!

I see GE, Austria, Churchill Center, and Space Needle just in those two photos! I know that the other ORU buildings will show many more parallels to WF structures. The Prayer Tower has an odd similarity to the 1964 Wisconsin Pavilion, too!

Any more photos available? There used to be a whole bunch of ORU builfing pix here at PTU.

What about that Woodward "Home of the Boomers" water tower I remember seeing from the backseat of my parents car when I was a kid?

boomersye0.png

Or this?!

Woodward Oklahoma Communications Tower

For pete's sake... don't sell yourself short! :lol:

Wow, you've actually been through Woodward Ok? I feel honored! :)

And the Woodward Oklahoma Communications Tower (we know and refer to it as the OMNI Tower) is not even in city limits, so I never concider it. It even has an elevator to take you to the top. And the base has a Tornado F-5 proof tansmitting station/studio.

Oklahoma City also has The Church Of Tomorrow which was featured on the Cover of Life Magazine, it always had a World's Fair ambience to me. When in the area, I always have to drive by.

trishaschurch.jpg

10560_003.jpg

100_0096.jpg

So glad you posted these pix of the Church of Tomorrow-- always loved seeing that one myself! I also posted some photos on here somewhere last year of the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds in OKC-- another treasure trove of 50's and 60's architecture.

So glad you posted these pix of the Church of Tomorrow-- always loved seeing that one myself! I also posted some photos on here somewhere last year of the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds in OKC-- another treasure trove of 50's and 60's architecture.

The Oklahoma City State Fair Grounds has been going through a major overhaul recently. I admit, some of the changes were really needed, but unfortunatley it is losing alot of it's character and charm.

I used to visit it on a regular basis, even when there was nothing going on, I just loved being surrounded by NYWF legacies, the 60's architecture and the Monorail. Sadly now, I don't even care to visit.