Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

HOW BIG???

I had some extra time on my hands today, so I decided to undertake a little photoshop project that I wanted to do for a while. Hope you all like it! JS

heightcopy.jpg

Great chart and like I have said before the sight of the Trylon and Perisphere must have been STAGGERING.

Thanks Chairman, glad you like it. It was easy, but took a long time. Still, I did make one big mistake with that, which was only caugh on a little while ago.

I corrected it on the original, but not on the one posted. Can anyone tell what it is?

The corrected version

heightcopy-1.jpg

Great job Jason. A real cool comparison. And I have to say that I was thinking along the same lines as Chairman when I saw it. I always sort-of imagine the Trylon and Perisphere while gazing on the Unisphere when at FMCP. Because of the shape of the Unisphere it;s easy to simply inagine the Perisphere being in its place. But a comparison like this shows just how massive and impressive the 1939-40 theme center really was!

The closest way to grasp the size of the Trylon and Perisphere-

Go to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, and stand near the tower of the Verrazanno Bridge. The Trylon was 7 feet taller than the bridge's tower, and the Perisphere was as high as the roadway over the narrows, center span. There ya go!

Very cool Jason! Where do the towers at the NYSP fall in that lineup?

Very cool Jason! Where do the towers at the NYSP fall in that lineup?

I wanted to add the NYSP and Joe the Worker also, but I got pretty tired when I got up to the Verazanno. (hence the 100 foot screwup with the Verazanno)

At that point I put my toys away and went to bed.

toy_chestcopy.jpg

When I have a chance, I'll add the Soviet tower and the NYSP.

I had some extra time on my hands today, so I decided to undertake a little photoshop project that I wanted to do for a while. Hope you all like it! JS

heightcopy.jpg

the trylon was 620 feet tall after wind tunnel tests jr39

the trylon was 620 feet tall after wind tunnel tests

I'll want a triple confirmation on that one before I go in there with the Trylon chopper. All due respect, of course. :)

Speaking of the Trylon, did you know that Lydia the Tattooed Lady as sung by Groucho Marx in the movie The Big Circus includes this verse?

Here is Grover Whelan unveilin' the Trylon

Over on the West Coast we have Treasure Islan'

Here's Nijinsky a doin' the rrrrrrumba!

Here's her social security nummmmba!

(la la la la la la)

I don't know if the unveilin' was before the wind tunnel test or after. :D

I'll want a triple confirmation on that one before I go in there with the Trylon chopper. All due respect, of course. :)

I think a Trylon chopper sounds great, suitably sculpted, with a deep throaty roar like the sound of a Harley.

Until we find one, how about a Trylon Viper?

trylon-viper.jpg

wftryl.jpg

tryon1.jpg

wftryl3.jpg

I wanted to add the NYSP and...

I still remember bits and pieces of my 1964 G-a-R Tour A, including:

"Coming up on your left is the NY State Pavilion, the tallest structure at the Worlds Fair, 225 feet high."

Larry, "Operator"

Hi All,

unless my mind is going, the Trylon was 610' not 620'. I have never heard of this 620' figure. Mu source for 610' is a quote from Harrison & Fouilhoux, who preferred it in bare steel with no white "skin." Don't forget the bases/pedestals for the Perisphere and Unisphere.

Best,

MB

updated version with corrections and New York State Pavilion

heightcopy-2.jpg

Amazing- the Kingda Ka is exactly midway in height between the statue of Liberty and the Trylon. Incredible machine.

I didn't know what a kinga ka is, so i looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingda_Ka

i do not like rolly coasters. what does that name mean anyway?

I seem to recall people arguing that the NYS pavilion was actually 227' high or something, but my g-a-r tour A said 225, so that's my story and i'm sticking with it.

I didn't know what a kinga ka is, so i looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingda_Ka

i do not like rolly coasters. what does that name mean anyway?

I seem to recall people arguing that the NYS pavilion was actually 227' high or something, but my g-a-r tour A said 225, so that's my story and i'm sticking with it.

I went on the KK 6 times when I visited Great Adventure in June. Check out this video. It shows several angles.

And this one is an interesting segment from the History Channel about several classic coasters compared to Kingda Ka

Jason, you need to add the Space Needle (605 feet).

And just for context, perhaps the CN Tower (1,815 feet). Not a World's Fair landmark, but it is the site of the Canadian National Exposition.

Tower of the Americas in San Antonio (HemisFair) (750 feet).

The Sky Ride Towers in Chicago (628 feet).

Tower of the Sun on Treasure Island. (400 feet).

Tower of Jewels in San Francisco (PPIE) (435 feet).

Atomium in Brussels (335 feet).

Sunsphere in Knoxville (266 feet).

Tower of the Sun (Expo '70 Osaka) (230 feet).

Added- Space Needle, Trylon, Stratosphere

heightcopy-3.jpg

Oh yeah and the sunsphere.

The space needle appears taller than the Tower Of The Americas, I thought San Antonio's tower was sightly taller than the Space Needle.

Tower of the Americas is 750 feet tall, which is 145 feet taller than the Space Needle. You are looking at the Skylon Tower, which is in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

I put it in because it has "yellow bug" elevators, very similar to the SkyStreaks, and built the same year as the NYSP.

LOL, Thanks for correcting me, I guess it would help if I got some new peepers (or even used the ones I do have) !

:lol: