Coronation Scot

Coronation Scot, LMS 6220, locomotive from England

Hi everyone.

I am interested to hear from anyone with info, especially photographs or film (possibly colour) of the London Midland & Scottish Railway 'Coronation Scot' No. 6220, locomotive and train which visited the NYWF 1939-40. It was stranded in the USA during the war and was stored. The carriages were used as an 'Officers Mess' at Jeffersonville.

The streamliner train was painted crimson lake red with gold stripes running all along the sides of the whole train (as shown in my avatar).

Cheers,

Paul.

ps. This loco has been preserved in England and is currently being re-clad since it had the streamlining removed after the war in about 1949, for ease of maintainance.

Hi Paul,

You may be interested to know that a relative of my husband named Arthur Soden was given the task of taking the Coronation Scot to America in 1939. His father Fred Soden was a foreman at the Crewe railway waorks. Can you confirm this is the same locomotive that you have pictures of because there seems to be some confusion over the locomotive number? I have a limited print picture of the Coronation Scot and the Royal Blue by Eric Bottomley ...do you know it/have it?

Chris

Hi Paul,
You may be interested to know that a relative of my husband named Arthur Soden was given the task of taking the Coronation Scot to America in 1939. His father Fred Soden was a foreman at the Crewe railway waorks. Can you confirm this is the same locomotive that you have pictures of because there seems to be some confusion over the locomotive number? I have a limited print picture of the Coronation Scot and the Royal Blue by Eric Bottomley ...do you know it/have it?
Chris

Hi Chris,

I can confirm that it is as you have pointed out. Coronation Scot was taken to the USA in 1939. And if you visit the National Railway Museum, in York, you will be able to see the very same loco, but in her true identity, LMS 6229 Duchess of Hamilton.

Originally she was built in 1938 and came out of Crewe in Shop Grey with white stripes and went into service for a very short while (see attached photos)6229inShopGrey-CreweShrewsbury72dpiopt.j,
before heading back to Crewe to receive her Crimson Lake paint, golden stripes, headlamp, bell (fitted at Euston), buckeye coupling, and her re-naming and numbering to LMS 6220 Coronation. That is when your relative would have been working on her, in the winter of 1938 at Crewe. (The real Coronation was of course a blue streamliner and during the swap over she became a blue LMS 6229 Duchess of Hamilton and stayed in the UK!!!). Fred Bishop was the original driver on the USA tour but he became ill and Robin Riddles took over.

USAredbrochure.jpg

** NOTE: PHOTO DELETED AT REQUEST OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER 3/5/15 **

Originally, the wheel rims, gear, and buffers were bright burnished, and by the second season, in 1940, my photos collection shows white paint has been added, probably to mask the rust. White wheel rims weren't really a British thing.

There is a photo of F.A. Soden, foreman from the erecting shops, (in trench coat and hat), plate 101, page 75 of Edward Talbot's book: The Coronation Scot, ISBN 0-95427878-1-2. It shows the loco at Euston prior to the USA farewell ceremony. And F.W Soden, assistant erecting shop foreman did go to America with Fred Bishop (Driver), John McKinnon (Fireman), Robert A. Riddles (M&E Eng).

I do have a limited edition signed Eric Bottomley print of the red LMS 6220 Coronation & The Royal Blue. Slight errors painted are: cab roof should be red, not black; nameplate should be navy background, not red; oval builder's plate should be red, not black; and front flying lamps should be red, not black. My picture is about a metre wide.

PM me if you have any photos or copies etc that we might be able to discuss or deal on, and you can have my email address.

(There was an earlier LMS USA loco tour and that was in 1933, with the "Royal Scot", LMS 6100. That was for a fair in Chicago. Different loco. Not a streamliner. Both locos survived and we have the late Sir Billy Butlin to thank for that!)

Regards,
Coronation Scot,
Derby, UK

Edited by Bill Cotter

Hello Railfans,

Have attached two photo's which may be of interest! They show 6229 Duchess of Hamilton, The American engine, on her return to the National Railway Museum, York, on the 19th May 2009. Bob Meanley and his team re-streamlined the engine at the Tyseley Locomotive Works, Birmingham at a cost of £136,000, met by the Friends of the National Railway Museum

and readers of Steam Railway Magazine.

The engine is displayed in April 1943 condition, as modified by Crewe Works when identities were exchanged with 6220 Coronation. The changes include fitting a double chimney and removing the tender cowl, other visible changes are as befits a locomotive that last worked a train on the 21st March 1998, on the East Lancs Railway.

post-4572-055275700 1279790378_thumb.jpgpost-4572-076449700 1279790482_thumb.jpg

Cheers Barry,

I visited Tyseley before the doors were fitted, and had a good chat with Bob. And also at the NRM during a meeting with the FNRM after completion. Tender cowlings were removed in 1943, and the tender was swapped in 1945 to the one it's fitted to today.