Sign in to follow this  
BruceB

Above the Underground World Home

Being in the area of the Underground World Home recently, I noticed a sinkhole seems to be devouring the tree below. Something must have given way in the underground home. I going to contact Geraldo Rivera, (he's the one who did the Al Capone's Vault TV special) and see if he would do a special on entering the underground home after 45 years and finally put an end to this urban legend. Hell I'll even loan him a gas mask and flashlight. After Capone's Vault TV dud, he probably would want no part of it. Funny thing is, if FOX or some other network put on something like this, it would probably go over great.

sink.jpg

It sure does look like something is settling there. Keep an eye on it and let us know if it progresses. Folks with shovels are standing by.

I think that spot in the photo is about 50 yds southwest of the UH location.

We'll have to do some more investigating in June...

Brian is correct. The pink box is the location of the Underground Home. Bruce's photo was taken

approximately in the spot of the yellow arrow. post-3703-1206541435_thumb.jpg That still doesn't rule out though that there is something under there sucking the park into the void. Maybe a service basement from the 1939 Railroad pavilion?

Yes, I could be off quite a bit. I was going by a 3D souvenier map. I know it was in the approx location. Someone posted the lat and log. of the UWH a while back. If known would someone repost. Also the length and width of the underground portion of the UWH. I will bring a GPS unit with me in June. I remember in 65 when I was down in the UWH I am almost positive there were a separate entrance and exit. I guess there would have to be for fire reasons.

Thanks.....Bruce

We should just exhume the place, once and for all. For the SIP, I'm going to bring a small gardening spade holstered to my backpack. I might need to be restrained. :blink: :lol:

Thanks for the coordinates. I have searched for info on the UWH with little success other that whats on NYWF64.com. The company has probably been long defunct. The principals in the corp are more than likely dead. I see the construction techniques are nothing remarkable. 18 inch girders supporting a 10 inch poured roof slab with the addition of a waterproof membrane, all 36 inches below ground level. I did find that the NYWF home was listed as 70' wide by 80' long. For some reason even though I visited the UWH in 65 I was under the impression the house was under 36 inches of soil. However after looking at a photo on NYWF64 this appears not to be the case. Steps can be seen leading down to a concourse complete with brick planters. So this was the actual 10 inch roof people were walking on? The UWH was 36 inches below surface, but there was no fill over it, YET. Just served as a concourse in the 64-65 NYWF.

So the question is, was the roof breached or just surface structures removed and filled in the required 3 foot, as set forth by the NYWF Corp? My family's been in the excavation business for years, so I know it would be a simple matter dealing with this slab. This has been the opinion of a couple of prior posts on this board apparently backed up with photos I have not seen. It's a lot of work to pull out this structure, if there was really a need to do so in the first place. The points of entry/exit are no doubt filled. I am sure there are people still alive who could easily answer this question. But who and where they are is unknown.

Probably the easiest way, besides ground penetrating radar, would be to drive a 4 foot piece of 3/8 inch rebar with a three pound hammer and see if you come in contact with the concrete roof three feet below. You could actually map out the entire demensions of the roof with this method. In the back of my mind it has always intrigued me that something like this could be sitting 3 feet underground untouched for over 4 decades. No doubt there are certainly remains in the ground, and will be for the next few thousands years. If intact, it is certainly not in it's pristine 1965 condition, and could very well be flooded. Sorry I cannot add anymore light to this question.

NEVER MIND GERALDO RIVERA OR FOX-- CBS HAS ALREADY LAID CLAIM TO IT! :P

Seriously, don't dig up the Underground Home yet-- because as I've said in earlier threads-- I'm already building an episode of CSI:NY around it for the new season! Am dying to turn a full fledged FMCP location shoot into another PTU gathering!

Am dying to turn a full fledged FMCP location shoot into another PTU gathering!

Cool, Trey, can we be extras? B)

"Probably the easiest way, besides ground penetrating radar, would be to drive a 4 foot piece of 3/8 inch rebar with a three pound hammer and see if you come in contact with the concrete roof three feet below. You could actually map out the entire demensions of the roof with this method."

I've been thinking that for a long time, too, Bruce! The first thing I'd do is feel around with a rod to see what you hit. Saves a lot of digging - and leaves no trace!

Speaking of sinkholes at the Underground Home...

(Doug Seed, Mike Kraus and Wayne Bretl, from SiP, October 2005:)

DougMikeWayneSinkhole.jpg

Trey, actually I was kidding about Geraldo. However I've always thought a TV program written around the Underground House would be cool. Can't wait to catch that CSI episode next season.

Doug, below is the photo from Bill Cotter's site that I was referring to in my above post. Wouldn't be hard to find that concrete slab with a rod if it's still there, if you were prodding the area!

uwh03.jpg

I am sure there are people still alive who could easily answer this question. But who and where they are is unknown.

Perhaps they were buried with the home to preserve it's secrets!

post-3703-1206581401_thumb.jpg

No doubt there are certainly remains in the ground, and will be for the next few thousands years.

Well, I think the principals read the lease contract and knew exactly what they were doing ... when they located the top of the roof 36" below grade.

Unless the WF Corp. specifically forbade WUH from leaving the roof intact, it's still there.

On the other hand, it's easy to imagine the WFC being cautious and not believing that the roof would remain intact indefinately.

On the third hand, that photo above is not a photoshop. Doug did indeed sink until he hit something solid. We later measured the distance from Doug's shoe bottom to just above his kneecap. No, not 36", but 24". However, we were in a swale that we estimated to be about 12" deep.

To say that we got chills was an understatement!

Are you serious? I always thought that was a joke photo with Doug on his knees! You guys actually dug down that far? :o

But yes, Doug... if I'm able to get the episode off the ground (no pun intended)... you can ABSOLUTELY be extras.

No doubt there are certainly remains in the ground, and will be for the next few thousands years. If intact, it is certainly not in it's pristine 1965 condition, and could very well be flooded.

And forgive me in advance, Bruce et al... but I will be taking significant dramatic liberties in that regard. :lol:

Here is PROOF that Doug really did start sinking that day, and didn't stop until his boots poked out the other side. The good news is, he arrived early to see the Olympics.

Dougs_boots.jpg

Bill, are j4sing's attachments in this topic working for you?

My theory about the screen resolution doesn't seem to hold water. It's reducing j4sing's attachments 77%, even though they're relatively small to begin with.

Eric linked his the same way I did on that sample. And I'm seeing the same error on mine. I'm thinking maybe the url is a 'pass through'- like a mirror- and not a direct link, or something like that. I'm trying to find help on-line for anybody who's experienced the same problem.

Okay, I've found a strong clue from another Invison user on a user forum. Apparently it has something to do with lightbox.

Lightbox integration for the image view popups has been added for 2.2.

As a note, to prevent breaking the page layout drastically, if you use lightbox I've modified the js to automatically size down the image proportionately to fit within the window - thus you may not get access to the full size image at all. Additionally, the js prevents you from right clicking and saving it seems (the lightbox js, not anything I added). It's an option though, so those interested are free to enable it, and those who don't want it don't need to use it.

I had seen that lightbox was selected in the Gallery setup on this board. I tried changing it to 'full size display', but I still get the same error message.

There are several other options in that drop-down box, so I'll try a few of them too to see if anything allows full size display.

Trey, can you call me tomorrow? I have a bridge for sale but need to move it soon to buy some land in Florida.

Argggh. I knew I was gonna get beaten over the head with a Bel-Gem Waffle over that one.

bunny.jpg

Does it help that I've been up for two days? No... didn't think so. :lol:

Here's some technical information about the Underground World home from a late-1964 World's Fair Corp. publication called the Summary Reports on Exhibit Structures (courtesy of John Pender):

post-387-1207070331_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Kevin

Yes, but remember that the 5800 sf included the 'patio' and 'yard' areas that were (are?) part of the total enclosed underground structure.

Hello Underground Home enthusiasts,

I am a little fuzzy here on which Underground home we are talking about. Is it the 1964 home or the 1939 underground home?

I actually live in a replica of the 1939 version which was designed by Creed McKinnely Chorpening of Northeast Ohio. I have a newspaper clipping that states that there are 2 more: one in Texas and one at the 1939 World Fair site in NY. I am currently seeking information about the 1939 version at the WF site. Any leads would be helpful as I am just beginning this quest.

Thanks,

bookzcrazy