Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

SIP Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hey, for fun, we should set up a video camera and laptop at the site of the RCA pavilion, and send a little broadcast out to all the PTUers who won't be able to attend! This way a portion of the event can reach out to everyone!

Great idea, Jason. We (P-for-Pacific)PTU'ers should do something similar on our end at Ray's place!

Updated list

1.J4Sing

2.LefrakCity63

3.Specialbunny

4.Waynebretl

5.bornopeningday64

6.Glen Shulttzberg

7.Doug Seed

8.Jmcsweeney

9.Al Schmelz

10.SonnyTFox

11.eastern long island fan

12.vladimir schimkewitsch

13. Johnny At The Fair

14.Don Cavaioli

15.Bruce B

16/17. Bogframe (Mr & Mrs)

18.ToTheFair

19.Cecilia

20.Chmnofbrd

21.irishcooper

22.Mike Kraus

23.Elizabeth Klug

24.Ken Thalheimer

25.Robert Moses

26.Magikbilly

27.Scrock30

28.Gary Miller

29.Eric Paddon

30.MitchS

31. jim brown

32. bagels

33. brian cartier

34.Mary Ellen

TO WEST COAST PTU MEMBERS:

I know most of you can't attend the meeting of NYWF stalwarts on June 22.

I propose that a WEST COAST meeting be held on JUNE 22 so that we can contact those FMCP folks as they trek through the park via cellphone. Same day... two different coasts!

My summer residence here in PORT HUENEME, CA has all of the amenities that would make a successful meeting here. There's an enlosed family room complete with kitchen and bar, exercise room, billiards and ping pong tables, heated jacuzzi and swimming pool, barbecue facilities, tables with sun umbrellas, free parking and a free tour of my apartment.

Since I was amongst the first of us West Coasters at THE FAIR during April 1964, it seems appropriate that I propose this first joint East and West gathering of NYWF fans. Any number can attend, so bring the whole family. Plan to bring your own picnic basket(s) and beverages.

Every attendee will receive a gift of the latest CD-ROM's, VAULT III......General Motors Futurama.....PLUS the rare recorded voices of the original 50 participants of "Saturday In The Park", JUNE 2, 2001.

Ray Dashner

post-8-1206823735_thumb.jpg

I'm still trying to reach Leonard Levitan to see if he would be able to attend. He has many fair related stories and knowledge of fair design, planning, and construction as he has designed many visitor centere and fair pavilions. As stated in a previous post, he was one of the designers of the Unisphere.

It's a great suggestion to have an internet version of Television broadcast live from the RCA pavilion. Is there a way to connect there in the RCA Pavilion area in front of the main entrance? After an initial opening broadcast from the RCA Pavilion, maybe we could also broadcast from various places around the fair.

Another idea, maybe I could bring a CD player loud enough for the group and play Ray Dasher sound tracks of pavilions when we are at them. Imagine getting to "ride" the Futurama again or revisit "It's A Small World." Perhaps the Laptop that is used at the RCA pavilion could be used to display photo stills and video clips.

There's WiFi access over at the zoo, but I doubt it reaches to the RCA Pavilion site. Someone would need an Aircard or similar wireless modem.

There's WiFi access over at the zoo, but I doubt it reaches to the RCA Pavilion site. Someone would need an Aircard or similar wireless modem.

nothing at Shea either- which may be even closer to Gotham Plaza than the zoo- maybe someday there will be Wifi at Citifield----

check this out:

http://eastvillageidiot.com/2007/06/06/buy...-cracker-jacks/

I just purchased a brand new HP laptop two days ago, and I love the thing! I am hoping to get an air card for it before the trip. Depends on what Sprint wants to offer me to renew my contract. Since I just got a new phone a couple months ago, they will need to bribe me with something else, hopefully an air card. We shall see! JS

Jess and I will most likely be staying for dinner..it sounds like a loooong day but it will be fun. We did the Parkside when we visited last August. It was yummy and there was tons of food!!! To tell you the truth we were so full we could only glance at the Lemon Ice King of Corona. I totally understand the issue of paying the dinner bill and am willing to go along with the crowd. Almost everyone who has a cell phone also has a built in calculator so we can do the math ourselves or ask the waitstaff for extra bills. Either way the idea is to have fun and not to let anyone feel uncomfortable. I don't know if Parkside has a plate sharing charge but that also might be a nice option for some people who'd like to save some money AND calories. ;)

Looking forward to this event. Starting to ask the universe for good weather for that weekend!! This will be a great way to celebrate Jess's 21st birthday which occurs earlier in June.

/Nancy.

Almost everyone who has a cell phone also has a built in calculator so we can do the math ourselves or ask the waitstaff for extra bills.

Just bring along your Liley's Original Chinese Abascus souvenir from the Hong Kong Pavilion.

Lileys_Original_Chinese_Abacus.jpg

If you practice beforehand, you can mesmerize the waiter [or waitress; why don't they just call them 'table attendants' like airlines changed stewardesses into flight attendants?] into bringing you five dollars in change after you produce a twenty dollar bill to pay a twenty five dollar tab. :P

... waiter [or waitress; why don't they just call them 'table attendants' like airlines changed stewardesses into flight attendants?] :P

"Hi I'm Bryan, I'll be your SERVER." "Hi, I'm Wayne, I'll be your CUSTOMER." :P

By the way, to me, server sounds like somebody different than an order taker. Who is also usually different than the first person, who is the greeter & seater, and the second person, who takes your drink order.

Of course they ALL want tips. ;)

Reminds me of a car dealership. Besides regular salesmen, they always have a closer waiting in the wings, who is authorized to sweeten the deal. I wonder if the Parkside has closers who are authorized to throw in free desserts or something if you order a big enough steak?

Call me anything, but don't call me late for SiP dinner!

Silly Question...Where and when are we meeting for this ever-growing happening?

I'll be there early for a small private function, but for the SiP I would say 10 or 11 am in the southwest corner of QMA's parking lot. (across from the NYSP towers). I know a small handful of people want to be there earlier, but to be fair to those who are traveling a distance, we need to give them time to get there without worrying about missing the group. I am going to start a poll to see what time the majority wants to meet and commence the tour. JS

Alright, I haven't posted anything here since before PTU went down a few weeks ago. I should mention that I've decided after some heavy deliberation that I will have to skip the Parkside. I've been interested in eating there ever since I first heard about it reading old threads of past SiPs. Unfortunately I will really be on a tight budget for this trip (I'm lucky that our finances even allowed me to go ahead with my plan to spend three nights in NY). Maybe next time.

If anyone's interested, as an alternative I'm thinking of visiting the Queens Burger King (that we more-or-less decided against as a lunch venue) for dinner as a cheap alternative. Only problem is that I'm not familiar with the area and am not exactly sure where it even is. If anyone else not able to go to the Parkside wanted to keep the SiP-related conversation going for a bit longer this might be something to consider. Depending on how much ground we'd covered by that point (and how tired everyone was) I suppose we could all even meet back up after our respective dinners for a little nighttime park walking. Yes, I know the park's probably not the smartest place to be at night--but I wouldn't feel as unsafe if I was surounded by a gaggle of fellow PTUers. Just something to think about.

More thoughts to come...

Oh, and by the way, Jason, you might want to check the spelling of my name on your master list of participants. Needless to say, with a name as long as mine I'm used to typos so no offense was taken ;) .

There is a WiFi hot spot in the position of the Royal Tire ferris wheel. See: http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/wifi/index.html If we can't do our live broadcast from the RCA pavilion, than in front to the GM Futurama may be near enough to the hotspot. The Unisphere area may also be close enough.

On another note, I borrowed a small portable PA speaker with wireless mic and CD player. Very small but powerful. If the host of the tour doesn't mind, I would be interested in assembling a collection of the pavilion soundtracks to play at the various pavilion stops along our walk. Does anyone know if the Parks Department has any restrictions on radios, CD, etc. playing without headphones. (At least we are not playing loud rap as others in the park may be doing.)

I have a wireless headset microp[hone that the group leader could use. If he wishes, I would be willing to give commentary on the mic or let others do so if they have particular insight on certain areas of the fair.

You might end up like the pied piper, with the SiP group doubling in size by the time you finish the tour. Be ready to hand out business cards with www.peacethroughunderstanding.com printed on them... :P

If anyone's interested, as an alternative I'm thinking of visiting the Queens Burger King (that we more-or-less decided against as a lunch venue) for dinner as a cheap alternative. Only problem is that I'm not familiar with the area and am not exactly sure where it even is. If anyone else not able to go to the Parkside wanted to keep the SiP-related conversation going for a bit longer this might be something to consider. Depending on how much ground we'd covered by that point (and how tired everyone was) I suppose we could all even meet back up after our respective dinners for a little nighttime park walking. Yes, I know the park's probably not the smartest place to be at night--but I wouldn't feel as unsafe if I was surounded by a gaggle of fellow PTUers.

Burger King: Easy. Last stop Main St on the 7 train. Just down the block from the station on Main. I'll go along if you like.

And what's wrong with walking FMCP at night ? I do it all the time alone. It's actually more enjoyable after dark.

If anyone's interested, why not a midnight Halloween SIP this year ?

Thanks for the directions Don. That does sound pretty easy to find. I have actually taken the 7 to the Main Street stop once before (to get to the only Adria show I ever managed to attend a few years ago), so maybe I'm not as unfamiliar with the area as I thought. I'd love to have company, but I figure it can be a last minute thing. If anyone not going to the Parkside feels up to it after a day of walking in the park, then why not?

Hey I would love to attend this. Hope there is still room. Sounds like an interesting day. Please add me to the list if possible. Thanks.

-Zip from Canarsie