Sign in to follow this  
j4sing

CSI NY Episode Written by Trey

Trey,

Enjoyed tonight's CSI! As soon as I saw the old railroad car I suspected it was FDR's private car under the Waldorf. Your writer must be a NYer. That's a great historical tidbit.

(I did wince over his line about the media of the time agreeing not to divulge FDR's medical condition or photograph him in his wheelchair as a display of "respect." I would have said, "criminal collusion," and appointed a special prosecutor.)

And he gets big bonus points in both accuracy and obscurity categories for mentioning "Manhattan Schist"! Possibly the first time ever on network television. Certainly in HD.

PS Long John Nebel did a bit mock-seriously claiming the Empire State Building rotated very slowly. Callers would earnestly try to argue the point. Stiller and Meara might have been involved in the hoax.

Thank you for watching and glad you enjoyed, XL5er!

In fact, John Dove, the writer of last night's episode, is not only a native New Yorker but a twenty year veteran of the NYPD who has since completely reinvented himself for a second career as a wonderfully talented writer. I'll be sure to pass along your kind words directly.

As for the Manhattan Schist of it all-- you certainly can't say we don't do our scientific research! :D

For someone who is CSI:clueless, can somebody list the season numbers and episode numbers of the episodes that have been discussed here? That seems to be the best way to find them on the CBS website. Haivng the titles is nice verification too.

Well Wayne... I can certainly list the names and episode numbers of those I've solo-written thus far. They are as follows:

404 - "Time's Up"

411 - "Child's Play"

419 - "Personal Foul"

502 - "Page Turner"

510 - "The Triangle" (airs 12/10/08)

And I'm currently working on...

519 - "Communication Breakdown" (airs 3/25/09)

As always, I appreciate all of you watching!

-Trey

Trey,

Do you guys have a side bet with Law and Order or the other CSIs on who can extend the credits the longest into the show? When I first watched Time's Up waiting for your name to appear, I saw what I was sure had to be the final opening credit pop up half a dozen times. "Producer" okay, that has to be the last one. Then a minute later, "Supervising Producer" Okay, for SURE that's the final... then a minute later, "Executive Producer" comes on.

It was like watching a magician make cards appear in his hand. Where do they keep coming from? How many can there be?

I'm guessing you're trying to reach the point where the opening credits merge with the closing credits.

Not that I blame you. Give credit where credit is due.

Confirmed 'credit watchers' not only learn names they remember, and which deserve to be remembered, but like in "Ferris Bueller", "The Simpsons Movie" and most everything Python, are rewarded with comedy bits for staying.

The show ain't over til the house lights come on.

The Union must be having fits with these new closing credits displayed under a separate screen and legible only for those with wide screens and only then if they appeared for more than a nanosecond.

I suspect the union lawyers spend millions each year debating the credits on whether a grip should be a key grip, an associate grip, an executive assistant to the key grip, a doggone son-of-a-grip, or a grippus emeritus.

Yep, that's all mandated by the guilds & unions, starting seemingly sometime in the 70's.

Watch a classic Hollywood credit roll, maybe 30 people max, mostly department heads for behind-the-camera personnel.

Imagine a MGM 1940's movie with today's rules: you'd have 1200 credits!

Well Wayne... I can certainly list the names and episode numbers of those I've solo-written thus far. They are as follows:

As always, I appreciate all of you watching!

-Trey

thanks, Trey!

Remember the opening credits of "The Muppet Movie"? The voice over went something like this:

Fozzie: Who are all these people?

Kermit: Shh, they all have families.

I'm sure that's not verbatim but should be close.

My all-time favorite dumb credit so far was in "Superman: The Movie". It read "Cheerios by General Mills". For me that was the start of credit inflation.

I meant to post a reminder here, but I see you beat me to the punch Trey. I ended up having to work tonight at the last minute, but I get out at 9:00 and the show doesn't start until 10:00--so I'll definitely be watching this as a first-run episode!

Great episode, Trey! We really enjoyed it.

Nifty scene on the Empire State Building antenna!

Lots of good props in this one, too. Do you have any power of suggestion when it comes to sets and props?

Microwaves!

I stood drinking a can of Coke with friends atop a docked ship watching another ship maneuver into the tight spot next to us. I thought I felt the can buzz in my hand several times but was distracted. I held the can before my face. Without mistake I felt the can buzz for a few seconds. As I continued to scrutinize the can the phenomenon repeated, but this time I saw the other ship's radar antenna, about 100' away, sweep past at the same time.

When the rotating antenna swept past again I felt the can buzz again! The radar was causing the vibration.

I climbed down from that unprotected vantage as far away from that scanner as I could.

This was merely a Furuno civilian radar. I've had Key West Naval Air Station radars interfere with my car TAPE DECK! Not the radio!

Enjoyed the show! I won't even mention the daughter absconding in a helicopter from a NYC roof with LA's Bonaventure Hotel in the background! I was too busy looking at her legs to notice.

Good job, Trey. Congrats. Please let me know when your episodes air. And I'm confused... WAS that your first solo?

Nifty scene on the Empire State Building antenna!

When they were up there with their detector boxes, that was probably a model on a studio back lot, am I right Trey?

When they were peeking over the precipice "up there", I wanted a big furry hand to reach up over the edge at any second and they'd be face to face with King Kong as he was climbing up to meet them.

Right where they were supposed to be, was designed as a docking port for passenger dirigibles back in the 1930's wasn't it? I wonder if passengers would have disembarked through that same swing-open door that the CSI guys used?

I've never heard that the Empire State Pavilion was actually ever used for that purpose though, although it was designed for it.

Did any dirigibles ever even dock there, let alone disembark passengers?

Randy,

The dirigible docking and disembarking procedure to the Empire State Building was simulated in the movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" at the beginning of the film. Can you imagine crossing the gangplank at over 1,000 feet?

skycaptain_1_1%20copy.jpg

Great episode Trey. I also was impressed with the antenna scenes at the "Empire State Building." Was that a special "roof" set built for the show? If it was filmed on location, Very Well Done!

A real view looking towards the ground.

empire.state.JPG

Thanks for watching, gang-- and for your kind words! It did well last night and I was very pleased with the end result.

Doug-- as one of the show's producers, I make many of the decisions about props, locations, casting, etc. And as you can imagine, many conceptual meetings are held prior to production in which all those things are nailed down. But we are truly blessed with one of the most creatively talented crews in the business.

xl5er-- no, it was actually my 5th solo-written episode over the past two seasons, though I contribute ideas with the rest of the staff to all the other episodes as well. And I'm now working on my next one, which will air on March 25th of next year.

Randy-- yes, the masthead of the ESB was a set build on top of our parking garage here at CBS Studio Center. It was about 25 feet high, with antennas only rising above the actors heads by twelve feet or so. There was green screen on the ground all around it. So when we looked up from low angles, the amazing Visual Effects folks had to digitally add antenna stretching up another hundred feet into the sky. And when we looked down, they had to add those vertigo inducing POV shots of the city-- which were usually stills that had select bits of "movement" added to them; cars, birds, etc., to keep the realism. Add a few studio fans to keep the wardrobe and hair whipping about-- and all it took was the actors combined wonder (along with some heroic music, of course) to really sell the whole stunt.

AMF-- appreciate the compliment! According to what I learned from a tour guide at the ESB back in June, the sum total of one dirigible ever docked there-- and that was more than enough for all parties to decide it should never happen again. I must say, though-- the experience of researching and shooting there has only redoubled my appreciation for what a masterpiece of iconic architecture that building truly is.

Thanks again!

Fellow PTU Pals...

Me again... just giving you a heads-up and inviting you to watch "Communication Breakdown," my latest episode of CSI:NY-- tonight at 10/9 Central on CBS!

Here's a link to a teaser promo which aired after last week's episode if you'd like to know what you're getting into:

CSI:NY Episode 519 - Teaser Promo

Hope you enjoy!

-Trey