Quite beautiful buildings at that Fair. I wonder how many still stand?

Four: 1) The Palace of Fine Arts is now the Museum of Science and Industry, 2) The World's Congress Auxiliary Building is now the Art Institute of Chicago, 3) The Norway pavilion is now in Blue Mound, Wisconsin and 4) The Maine Pavilion was moved to Poland Spring, Maine. I have known about the first two for some time as a former Chicago area resident; Information about the last two buildings comes from Wikipedia. In addition, one of the statues is in the center of a traffic circle in Chicago. Perhaps someone can remind me which one is is.

I always get mixed up whether the site of the 1893 World's Fair is at LIncoln Park, or at the lagoon near Soldier Field. I know the '33-34 World's Fair was at the former Miegs Field peninsula or island.

Randy-- I believe both fairs occupied much of the same space (with 33-34 also occupying the peninsula).

At any rate, much of the space has been recently redeveloped as Millennium Park, one of the most vibrant and exciting urban spaces in the country. Here are some pictures of it.

image?id=78692&rendTypeId=4

chicago%20millennium%20park-724706.jpg

28_3mp.jpg

frank_gehry_bridge.jpg

post-161-1206308354_thumb.jpgMillennium_Park_Fountain.jpg[/attachment:1v05gwkp]

post-54-1206305317_thumb.jpgMillennium_Park_Fountain3.jpg[/attachment:1v05gwkp]

gardens.jpg[/attachment:1v05gwkp]

But as John has said, you will also find the Art Institute and the Field Museum there... as well as Buckingham Fountain, historic Navy Pier, and Soldier Field.

The 1893 World's Columbian Exposition occupied what is now Jackson Park on the far south side of Chicago. It is a beautiful park which stretches along the lake and it has a public beach. Because the Museum of Science and Industry is located there (in the former Pavilion of Fine Arts), the park has a good deal of daily activity. It is much better known and protected than FM Park in NYC. But a drive to the park can be harrowing because there is some real poverty between the Loop and the South Side.

The Midway Plaisance extends westward from the park and is bordered by the University of Chicago and an area known as Hyde Park. I understand some recent archaeological work has unearthed the concrete foundations of the Ferris Wheel. In any event, Hyde Park became rather well known in 1924 as a result of the Loeb-Leopold murder case. They lived in that exclusive section of the city and these two teenaged males kidnapped and murdered a 14 year old Hyde Park resident named Bobby Franks as he walked home from the Harvard School (a preparatory school for boys) in the same area. Despite the murder of the boy (his body was hidden in a culvert south of the city of Chicago and quickly located) the two murderers typed a ransom note and then smashed the typewriter and tossed it into a "former lagoon at the world's fair site" according to newspaper accounts of the day. That site, of course, is Jackson Park. There are only a very few relics of this fair, however. Destruction of the grounds began before the fair even closed with a series of spectacular fires and continued in 1894 when several of the largest buildings mysteriously burned to the ground during the bitter Pullman Strike of that year. After that, any hope of preserving the White City quickly faded. Also, the fact that Mayor Carter Harrison was assassinated during the final days of the Columbian put a pall over the exposition as it was about to close. Somewhat like Buffalo's Pan American, the Columbian ended on a somber note.

It is also interesting that Jackson Park was developed precisely for the Columbian. It was landscaped by Frederick Law Olmsted who also designed Delaware Park in Buffalo (site of the 1901 Pan American Exposition, the grounds of the US Capitol, Mount Royal Park in Montreal, Central Park in NY etc.). There is another relic of the fair and that is a small street car station built for the Columbian just outside of the Jackson Park. It is currently the home of the Hyde Park Historical Society.

The 1933-1934 Century of Progress Exposition was held along the lakeshore at the location of Soldier Field, Shedd Aquarium, Meigs Field etc and not at Jackson Park.

I always get mixed up whether the site of the 1893 World's Fair is at LIncoln Park, or at the lagoon near Soldier Field. I know the '33-34 World's Fair was at the former Miegs Field peninsula or island.

Randy-- I believe both fairs occupied much of the same space (with 33-34 also occupying the peninsula).

Well, we're both showing our lack of knowledge. <!-- s:mrgreen: --><!-- s:mrgreen: --> It was Jackson Park, not Lincoln Park. and the two Fairs were a considerable distance apart.

This map should help:

Chicago_map.jpg

Guess we're all just PTU pupils at the end of the day, Randy! That's the great thing about World's Fairs-- there's a world of stuff to learn about them!

I am def. a wide-eyed pupil here! I somehow was under the impression the World's Coulumbian was in Grant Park.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

Jackson Park looks to me like a great site for another World's Fair, don't you think? Enough square footage, lagoons, multi-mode transportation access (water ferry / rail / highway), proximity to a major metropolis, etc. Of course they need to have it in January for visitors to enjoy that nice cooling breeze off the lake....