Sign in to follow this  
MR. LINSKY

'Welcome Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, New York'

Welcome 'Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York' to the 1939/1940 World's Fair (Flushing Meadows, NY).

Pictured below is a factory photo of a 1939 Mack Model 'CM3G' (ser# 1088) fleet # 824 all decked out in official World's Fair logos and ready for service along with twenty four other sister buses to bring guests from all over Queens County to the exposition (an additional ten coaches were added in 1940).

A little about your newest member - Mr. Linsky;

I am 69 years of age and lived my early years in Kew Gardens, Long Island (a stone's through from Flushing).

My parents made a number of trips to the fair during its two year stand and took me when I was one year old just so that I could eventually say that I was there! Of course, I remember nothing of it but, I was there!

Being a relation to the founder of Green Bus Lines (a large privately owned transit company serving south western Queens since 1933) I have taken more than a passing interest in its history and, in fact, am an unofficial historian for the company (which, by the way, has now become part of MTA Bus Division of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority - NY).

If any of you members should happen to come across any photos of these Macks at work in or around the fair grounds, I would really appreciate a heads up so I may add them to my archive.

Photo courtesy of the Mack Truck Museum, Allentown, Pa.

Mr. Linsky

Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

CopyofGreenBus3ColorC-1.jpg

• Like 2

Pictured below is a panoramic photo taken in 1936 showing the intersection of Queens Boulevard and Union Turnpike in the Kew Gardens/Forest Hills vicinity.

Notice the just completed Grand Central Parkway extension to what was then the 'Interboro' Parkway in preparation for World's Fair access to vehicles from Brooklyn.

Also of note in the picture (upper right center) are the subway storage and maintenance yards for the new Queens Boulevard 8th. Avenue (E & F) lines.

Access for trains was available to the yards under both the Union Turnpike station (located directly under center of picture), and the Continental Avenue Station further west in Forest Hills.

That same access was extended to the fair grounds to bring throngs of visitors from New York and Jamaica.

Additional transportation to the exposition was provided by the Long Island Rail Road, Triboro Coach Corporation, Queens/Nassau Transit Lines and Jamaica Buses, Inc., and the many charter companies that operated in the metropolitan area at the time.

Greyhound was the official transportation host and shuttled guests from one pavilion to the next.

Getting back to the picture; you trolley enthusiasts may note the abandoned tracks and catenary connections for the old New York and Queens Electric Railway Company that ran along Queens Boulevard from 2nd. Avenue and 59th. Street to South Jamaica until 1935.

Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY

KGPANORAMA.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome Mr. Linsky, my father was a member of MaBSTOA, drove the #5 bus in Manhattan for thirty years.

Hoodlock,

You should be very proud of your father driving the most prestigious line in Manhattan - the route of the Fifth Avenue Coach!

When we were kids, we used to ride the double deckers on Fifth Avenue (Yellow/GM models 720 and 735) all the way up to Washington Heights and back for a dime (double the regular nickel fare!).

Pictured below is a typical Fifth Avenue Coach (Yellow/GM) of the late thirties that must have plied the route thousands of times.

Enjoy!

Photo courtesy of BusTalkIII Picture Gallery

FAACO7401080.jpg

Welcome to PTU, Mr. Linsky! Nice to have another West Coaster aboard!

Worldsfairent,

Thank you - same here.

I deal mostly with New York based and subject sites and when I get going, which is about 10 PM our time, everybody on the east coast is fast asleep (although I have a friend in Tempe, Az. who keeps up with me!).

Thanks again - and glad to be a member of such an interesting study.

Pictured below, and signed for the World's Fair, is a four car R1-9 New York City Board of Transportation subway train traveling the World's Fair 'Spur' from the grounds terminal to the Kew Gardens Union Turnpike station on a test run in the winter of 1939.

Notice the ongoing construction of exhibits in the background.

These cars, which were manufactured by the Pressed Steel Car Company, were probably the best ever built for the Independent system and could probably still be running today with a little TLC!

Photo courtesy of the Joe Testagrose collection and borrowed for educational purposes only.

SUBWAYWORLDSFAIR.jpg

The R-1 is a favorite of mine! When I was 15 I visited the NYC Transit museum to do a school report on the history of the subway. I got so comfortable sitting in the R-1 I fell asleep, after a while I was awoken by someone tapping on the window. He said he heard me snoring from halfway up the platform, and was poking his head in the various cars to see where the noise was coming from. Here's a link to some great photos of the R-1.

[url:b2aa1]http://www.nycsubway.org/cars/r1.html[/url:b2aa1]

4jsing,

That's pretty much where I got my photo from - but thanks anyway.

These 'R' cars were a sensation when they first appeared around 1933 and built specifically for the new 'IND' lines.

They were super fast and even boasted solid brass window frames (try to beat that today!).

The reason that they were so comfortable is because they had genuine 'Rattan' cushioned seating! (unfortunately, we require 'slice proof' seating today!).

To exactly the same specifications, four different manufacturers won awards to build these cars simultaneously; Pressed Steel Car Company, Pullman Standard, St. Louis Car Company and American Car & Foundry (ACF) at their Berwick Pennsylvania plant.

There was absolutely no way to tell which manufacturer was which except for bronze builders plates located over each car end door.

Now, something very interesting about the 1939/40 World's Fair spur; at the end of the exposition the Board of Transportation was urged to continue the special siding with a permanent connection to 96th. St. Manhattan under the East River but, for whatever the reasons were, they decided against the project.

I have one relic from the 'R' cars and that is a porcelain number sign from car # 1163.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

• Like 1

Welcome 'Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York' to the 1939/1940 World's Fair (Flushing Meadows, NY).

Pictured below is a factory photo of a 1939 Mack Model 'CM3G' (ser# 1088) fleet # 824 all decked out in official World's Fair logos and ready for service along with twenty four other sister buses to bring guests from all over Queens County to the exposition (an additional ten coaches were added in 1940).

A little about your newest member - Mr. Linsky;

I am 69 years of age and lived my early years in Kew Gardens, Long Island (a stone's through from Flushing).

My parents made a number of trips to the fair during its two year stand and took me when I was one year old just so that I could eventually say that I was there! Of course, I remember nothing of it but, I was there!

Being a relation to the founder of Green Bus Lines (a large privately owned transit company serving south western Queens since 1933) I have taken more than a passing interest in its history and, in fact, am an unofficial historian for the company (which, by the way, has now become part of MTA Bus Division of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority - NY).

If any of you members should happen to come across any photos of these Macks at work in or around the fair grounds, I would really appreciate a heads up so I may add them to my archive.

Photo courtesy of the Mack Truck Museum, Allentown, Pa.

Mr. Linsky

Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & A