Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Cates

Movies About the 1964/65 NY World's Fair

This may have been posted already but I haven't seen it so thought I would post it anyway. I got a fax from the Gateway National Recreation Area/Staten Island Unit re: Movies About the 64/65 NY World's Fair. The event is to be held at the Fort Wadsworth Visitor's Center, 120 New York Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10305, phone 718 354 4500 on Saturday July 28. The fax is a bit lengthy so you might want to call for additional details. Basically the program is divided into 3 parts;

11:00 - Building the Fair which will include 61 Progress Report/63 Progress Report/Unisphere/Disney Animatronics/Universal Newsreel

12:00 - About the Fair which will inclue To The Fair/Home Movies and Castle Films/Great Fair Great Fun/Monorail/Picture Taking/Fiberglass/ and Commercials

12:30 - At The Fair which will include For Magic Skyway/Chrysler Islands/GM Futrama/IBM People Wall/Bell Telephone/To Be Alive/Dupont World of Chemistry/ Hall of Science Rendezvous in Space.

Says this is an educational,non-profit, non commercial program. Some films have been edited for entertainment value.

It is a free program.

On another note, Disney called this week and it looks like we will wrap up the rights this week. The box cover art is done and looks great. So, hopefully, this time everything should go through. As always we appreciate your support and PATIENCE!

curtis

Curtis, will we be able to order the DVD directly from BBQ, or through Amazon or Walmart or something?

Donning my Hollywood shades in eager anticipation...

I think for the PTU folks we want to sell it directly. We've been so involved with this crazy rights mess that we haven't had time to think about distribution. I know we are going to do a run for PTU and the people we interviewed, etc., other than that...............I'm not sure. You guys will definitely be first in line.

While planning the 1964 World’s Fair, they considered Staten Island as a possible site location, imagine?

Hood,

As much as I hate to admit it, S.I. may have been a better location for tourist attendance than eastern Queens.

It would have been easier access from Manhattan where most tourists stay and from NJ for folks flying in to Newark for the WF.

DC

Back when they started planning the Fair there wasn't any Verrazanno Narrows bridge. I would imagine getting everyone there by ferry would have been a real mess. Not much in the way of hotels either, or rail traffic, so the logistics would have been horrendous.

Am I making this up, or wasn't there some kind of recent move by a group of hopefuls who want to stage a third New York World's Fair on Staten Island?

Curtis,

I've been hoping to hear news about the DVD of your film for a LONG time now.... I hope this means it will be available soon. Please let us know details as soon as they are available!

George

The final rights clearances from Disney were faxed to us on Friday. They were also mailed to us. We sign them, wrap up the 2nd DVD and it's off to the duplicator. The art work is all done. It's hard to believe. Talk about the little company that cried wolf. It's hard to be tiny in a small world after all.....Everything s/b wrapped up about one month from now. Hey, what's 13 years?

We can finally breathe a little bit at BBQ!

.....and what would we have done without you guys?

Curtis and Terri

Jeeps, Curtis, you guys been at this 13 years?!! That's astounding!

I think I heard about it first in '96 or '97. "Hey, some people are making a documentary about NYWF 64/65...", but you guys were hard to find back then, like a mysterious vapor or something.

You two really deserve some kind of award/reward, if not for the great film, then for your dogged determination!

Bless you two!! <sniffle>

Aww shucks. It's just us! We have been blessed with an amazing journey, we learned alot and made some AMAZING friends. There is no way we could have made this film without ALL of you guys. (my sniffle beats your sniffle!) We were looking at the art work today. looked at each other and said to each other.....REALLY!

It's alot of memories that were entrusted to us. All the people we interviewed. All the materials that were either given to us or loaned to us for use. It's funny. When we tried to raise money we were continually told that there just wasn't much interest in a film about the Fair. An event that happened during one of most interesting periods in American history. 99% of the time the same people that were telling us there was no interest would look at us with a big smile and say either i went to that fair or my parents took me to that fair.....IT WAS GREAT!

Go figure. It was better just to spend our own money. Disney was amazing to deal with. Everybody was fantastic.

Just for the record.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you guys are the very best! We all love our Fair!

Curtis, it's been great to know about the progress that's been made in finally getting this film to completion for DVD, and I am glad to know that soon we'll all be getting a chance to experience it!

I guess you just have to laugh at this point. The papers got faxed to us from Disney on the same day the actual papers that had to be signed were mailed. The papers that we had to sign never arrived. Now they have to re-do the paperwork (with all the little post-its on the pages we have to sign) and then re-send them - this time by registered mail. All our rights went into effect in January so we are now 7+ months behind waiting for these papers. The people at Disney are great and have been working very hard to help us with this hurdle, but we are all just resigned to laughing at how long and difficult it is to get this thing released. Everything is ready to go to the duplicators. The box art is done and looks amazing (our friend Kathy did it and really nailed what we wanted), the 2nd DVD is ready with lots of great extras, and we're just setting on our hands waiting for THIS LAST BATCH OF PAPERS. They don't call it show art...it's SHOW BUSINESS! Our best guess is early September.

Hey Curtis all good things are worth waiting for.I`ll be at the head of the line to get my copy.Regards-Jerry

Hey Curtis all good things are worth waiting for.I`ll be at the head of the line to get my copy.Regards-Jerry

I'd like to be at the head of the line too! Maybe we should check with Al Carter

http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/lithu ... arter.html

Hey Curtiss,

It's been a while since I've been active on the boards and what a great surprise to return to. very excited about getting a copy of yopur film - please be sure to keep all of us in the loop (as you have been). CONGRATS on ALMOST...getting it released!

Just bumping this topic again - will we have a DVD in our Christmas stockings?

It looks like it could be a stocking stuffer. EVERYTHING is done. The second DVD has some nice surprises on it and really helps round out the film. We were able to expand on some of the interviews and put in some of the footage that killed us to leave out. We decided to name the 2nd DVD "Cutting Room Floor". We hope to ship it to the duplicators this week and then we'll let everybody know how to get it. We've found a small distribution company that we really like and that is probably the way we are going to sell it. QMA will carry it. There will be other options and we'll let everybody know the who, what and where when it's ready to sell. I'll believe it when it's in my hands. We had so much help getting this thing out and you guys have been so patient. What can we say? We'll start with THANKS!

CURTIS AND TERRI