Sign in to follow this  
Bill Young

The Mighty Fair

nywf64.com has once again benefited from a contribution by Dave Oats. Back in 1985 he, and Fair collector/historian Peter Warner, presented a 20th Anniversary retrospective on the Fair at the Flushing Gallery. Titled, "The Mighty Fair," this immensly popular exhibition was the first look back at the Fair the show called A Giant that Never Knew its Own Strength.

The 32 page exhibition catalogue has always been one of my most favorite written pieces on the Fair. It is chock full of great B&W pictures and contains a great, concise narrative and several essays. It is easy reading and very enjoyable and I'm happy to have this online to share it with everyone.

Thanks to Dave Oats and Greg Godfrey for supplying the copy and their efforts to put it online.

Enjoy!

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/mightyfair01.shtml" target="_blank">The Mighty Fair</a>

Great stuff indeed. Thanks to everyone who made it available.

I agree!

So Disney wanted to put Epcot in Flushing Meadow after the Fair closed? I don't think I'd heard that story before.

Mostly because it's not accurate. Disney was already looking at Florida, and he had decided he needed to own the land around his project. Plus, FMCP was way too small for what he had in mind. Finally, as I understand it, Walt was approached to keep the Fair going past 1965, like Expo 67 did, but supposedly turned them down flat. Not only was he too busy, but he didn't want Eastern US competition for "Project Florida" aka Walt Disney World.

Thank you, Bill

Thank you, Dave

Thank you Greg!!

I obtained these photos of the 1985 Might Fair exhibit on ebay months ago, from a Mr. Ed Witkowski of Oceanside NY, and have been remiss in scanning them until now. There were no negatives, just the prints. As usual, if anyone wants a blow-up of a particular item, just ask!

-- Wayne

Mighty_Fair_photos.pdf

Interesting, it could have been another "Happiest Place on Earth", or at least could have been a long term Freedomland.

Ironic that Donald (of RKO Keith's infamy) Manes, got mention in context with preserving anything.