Bill Cotter

Latest updates to WorldsFairPhotos.com

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3148

Dumb question, I'm sure about the NYSP Tower... but was there glass or plexiglass at knee level beneath those rails? If not, I'm amazed nobody went over the edge-- to say nothing of the threat posed to kids.

thanks, Randy... i figured as much. but even so, i'm surprised nobody chose that epic vantage point to hop over the rail and say goodbye cruel world. not to be morbid... but that's something that does usually get taken into consideration by engineers and designers... even if it's just about preventing accidents. kind of reminds me of Staples Center here in l.a.-- with its steep elevations and narrow panes of only thigh-high level glass. but i guess i'm just being dramatic. certainly wouldn't be the first time!

I think that clear barrier is still on the towers today.

It would be Lexan, not Plexiglas (assuming they had Lexan in 1963/64)

Lexan today, for sure.

For what ever it's worth department:

We have color pictures taken during the final stages of construction in early 1964, and the clear panels are installed but covered with wrapping paper (like movers use) to help shield them from being scratched or damaged by the construction workers. That's one of the reasons why in many of these amateur photos during the Fair, the material is so clear it doesn't even look like anything is there. That's the effect the designers intended.

You can see one of the seams in the plastic just to the right of the little girl in the (correctly) flipped picture earlier in this thread.

Added African, Billy Graham, Masonic Center and Berlin pavilions to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Tour section.

Added additional stories to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Magazines and Newspapers section. Recent additions are marked with NEW at the end of the entry.

Thanks for all the great pictures ! I hope it would someday be possible that someone could design a photo-realistic virtual 64-65 WF.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this video creating 3d pictures from 2d images.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this video creating 3d pictures from 2d images.

<a href="

" target="_blank">
</a>

Here is another group working with a similar idea. The ability to take a virtual tour of the fair may not be that far off!

<a href="http://funhouse.bubble.ro/96/Microsoft__Photosynth/" target="_blank">http://funhouse.bubble.ro/96/Microsoft__Photosynth/</a>

Some more updates to WorldsFairPhotos.com:

Added Austria, Lebanon and Greece to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Tour section.

Added CD #3-5 to the Expo 58 Photos on CD section.

How's the City of Burbank float coming Bill?

Do you know yet whether it comes early or late in the parade tomorrow morning? We'll keep an eye out for it.

My wife is down there working on it right now. They think it should be done on time. I'm home with my daughter, who is recovering from surgery, so I get to stay home and warm! It was 39 degrees out when Carol went out this morning. The float features a free dog washing service, and is in the last 1/3 of the parade this year.

The latest additions to WorldsFairPhotos.com:

Added Eastman Kodak to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Tour section.

Added additional stories to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Magazines and Newspapers section. Recent additions are marked with NEW at the end of the entry.

Added several song titles for background music from the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. If you know any of the other names or would like more music added to the site please let me know.

Added Arlington Hat, Maryland, New England, New Mexico and Singer Bowl to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Tour section.

These are all in the Federal and State area.