Sign in to follow this  
jmcsweeny

Westinghouse Time Capsule Replicas

Hello folks,

One my trip to the Westinghouse museum I also had the opportunity to take a look at the time capsule replicas. I will post a few pictures tonight and several more, including some close-ups of the contents, later. FYI, the darker capsule is the '39 replica.

Cheers!

capsules1.jpg

capsules2.jpg

capsules3.jpg

capsules4.jpg

Great photographs and thank you for sharing them! Where is the Westinghouse Museum? I would love to see the capsules and this display. I do recall that the 1979 retrospective on the Fairs at the Queens Museum provided the 1939 replica. To see them both, side by side would be wonderful.

Very cool John!

By coincidence, I recently scanned a couple of Westinghouse Time Capsule press photos for John Pender...

Here are the two photos, along with their respective notes:

TimeCapsuleContents.jpg[/attachment:f1583]

WESTINGHOUSE TIME CAPSULE II CONTENTS DISPLAYED

The contents selected for the Time Capsule II are examined by Mrs. Robert Peirce, Westinghouse secretary, and Dr. John C. R. Kelly, Jr., director of materials research and development, Westinghouse Research Laboratories. The telephone books in the background represent the more than 50,000 pages of information that will be buried at the end of the New York World’s Fair, Oct. 16, 1965, not to be opened for 5,000 years. The Capsule will be lowered into the ground next to its sister Capsule -- the famed Westinghouse Time Capsule of the 1939-40 World’s Fair -- at the site of the Westinghouse pavilion in Flushing Meadows. The Capsule’s contents, which will bring up to date the chronicle of our civilization for the people of 6939 A.D., will be displayed at the Westinghouse pavilion during the 1965 season of the World’s Fair. The objects to be included range from a piece of the world’s first atomic reactor to a Beatles’ record.

PR- 25629 ##80544-PK## -964-

post-54-1206305317_thumb.jpgTimeCapsuleBurial.jpg[/attachment:f1583]

Dale McFeatters Vice Pres. Information Services Westinghouse Electric Co, shown pressing control button that lowers time capsule at the Westinghouse exhibit.

Best Regards,

Kevin

It is amazing how many of those items appear to be so dated. That computer memory thing is the size of a garbage can lid! And I wonder if people in 6939 will know what to do with a package of Kent cigarettes.

Well, I never go anywhere without my trusty Pocket Radiation Monitor these days, so I'm sure those will still be popular in 6939!

Good luck finding a turntable to play the Beatles record too - you can't even find them today. I'm sure the Tektite of "possible lunar origin" was knocked a few rungs down the ladder of importance in 1969 after the crew of Apollo 11 brought back REAL moon rocks!

And what will they do when they come across the mysterious white powder (detergent) in the plastic bag? If the Capsule were opened in 2006, they would have to quarantine the area while the powder was tested for anthrax!

Best Regards,

Kevin

And the transistor radio.... you can barely find a decent AM station these days, and there will probably be even fewer in 6965. And they will probably just bury the Polaroid camera again as soon as they find it.

"Desalted Pacific Ocean Water".

Yawn.

Why would they have picked that one? How different could it be from Desalted Atlantic Ocean Water, or any other water in general? And who would care?

I think the idea at the time was that desalination technology could solve world hunger, or at least thirst. And maybe hunger too, if the answer for growing crops in arid regions is getting water there. And since the Pacific Ocean is the largest potential supply source for such an endeavor, maybe that's why they labeled the bottle that way. Of course, somebody probably just filled up the bottle from a World's Fair drinking fountain, and then stuck the label on it.

I'd like to see an environmental impact report on a scheme that grandiose! Ha!

Where is the Westinghouse Museum?

It's in Wilmerding, PA, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. More photos to come.

the memory chip for a computer cracks me up.. it looks like its almost the size of my laptop when its folded haha

oh technology

thanks for sharing those photos!!

curious though.. what did they put in the '39-40 capsule?

It's in Wilmerding, PA, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. More photos to come.

I can't beleive I drove right past that place on the highway and had no idea the capsules were in there

And its not like I get out there often... it is a 10 hour drive from Boston!

The 1939 capsule included such items as a Mickey Mouse plastic cup, a hat designed by Lilly Dache, a knife, fork and spoon, a toothbrush, thousands of microfilmed pages, an alarm clock, a safety pin, tooth powder, slide rule, tape measure, various toys, a baseball, a set of alphabet blocks, a container of tobacco, poker chips, a nail file, a can opener, a fountain pen, various comic books, a film tour of the 1939 world's fair, messages from prominent world figures and so on. My favorite item: the Lord's Prayer in 300 different languages. The idea is that it could serve as a modern Rosetta Stone. Realizing that English may no longer be spoken (certainly as we know it) in 5,000 years, perhaps a bit of one of those languages will survive and from that clue, the rest of the capsule's contents can be deciphered.

The Time-Life series entitled, This Fabulous Century (1930-1940), has a great section on "The Big Fair." It contains an excellent listing of many of the items (cargo) buried in the 1939 Time Capsule. I would bet that any local library would have this excellent collection of books.

PS: What is that stack of identical books found in the photograph of the 1964 capsule contents?

Hi Jim,

The identical set of books in the '64 picture are telephone books representing "the more than 50,000 pages of information that will be buried at the end of the New York World’s Fair, Oct. 16, 1965..." I assume these 50,000 pages are what is contained on the reels of microfilm, and that they didn't actually bury the phone books.

I do have a question about one of the items you mentioned on the '39 list...

How did they have "a film tour of the 1939 world's fair", when that particular Capsule was buried on September 23, 1938 - 7 months before the 1939-40 Fair even started?

Perhaps it was all conceptual art, with some construction footage thrown in? Has anybody seen this film?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Kevin

How's THIS for a time capsule?!?!?!?

This is one we actually have a shot at seeing in our lifetime

<a href="http://www.forwardlook.net/19571958Plymouth/countdown.asp" target="_blank">http://www.forwardlook.net/19571958Plymouth/countdown.asp</a>

Kevin, you are right and if I correctly recall, it is a film highlighting the preparation of the Park and construction of the Fair and its buildings. The transformation of the vast garbage dump into parkland was considered to be the largest land reclamation project in history and the Corporation frequently touted that idea. I had forgotten about the fact that the capsule was buried on the Autumnal Equinox" (sounds sort of spooky) in 1938 "with only the tolling of a giant bell to disturb the unusual silence in Flushing Meadow." That, of course, was about six months prior to the opening of the Fair. (The quotation is from a NY Times account.) I have never seen that film but I suspect a copy must exist somewhere--perhaps at the Westinghouse Museum? I also recall there were a number of other films (current event or newsreels) including one showing the Japanese bombardment of Shanghai in the early 1930's and another showing of a portion of a baseball game (I believe there may be a dozen or more films in the capsule). And a small projector was also included in the capsule.

Best, Jim

PS: Thanks for the info on those books relating to the 1965 capsule. I wonder if any of them are available for study.

Thanks for clarifying that about the film Jim!

Cool link too Maverick - though it's too bad they didn't bury a '57 Corvette or T-Bird instead.

Can you imagine what one of those two cars would be worth in brand-new condition?!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Here are a couple more pics of general interest from the capsule replica display at the Westinghouse Museum. The first is an infomational poster on the term "Time Capusle" and the second is a map of where they are located (of course, we all know that already).

capsulesign.jpg

map.jpg

More pics to follow.

Here are some more pics, this time concerning the '39 capsule (actually '38).

First a picture of Westinghouse Chairman A. W. Robertson and Grover Whalen with the capsule -

whalen.jpg

Now some close ups of the '39 capsule replica with the contents displayed in the cut-out window -

(BTW, you might see a faint reflection of Elektro in the first picture. The robot display case is directly opposite the capsules. I apologize for the reflections due to the plexiglas coverings in the cutouts).

393.jpg

394.jpg

391.jpg

392.jpg

The next series will be of the 64 capsule replica

Great pix John - Thanks for posting these!

However, I can't quite make out the last line of the engraving on the side of the Capsule - what does it say?

Best Regards,

Kevin

After noticing the sliderule in the 39 capsule, I went looking on the internet for a list of contents, wondering if the 64 capsule had anything similar. I found a web site that listed contents of both capsules, but omitted the slide rule, although the list was very long and complete looking. Another site did list the slide rule. So, as usual, don't take any one source as an authority.

Great pix John - Thanks for posting these!

However, I can't quite make out the last line of the engraving on the side of the Capsule - what does it say?

Best Regards,

Kevin

"This is a replica. Time capsule of Cupaloy, deposited on the site of the New York World's Fair on September, 23, 1938 by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. If anyone should come upon this capsule before the year A.D. 6939, let him not wantonly disturb it, for to do so would be to deprive the people of that era of the legacy here left them. Cherish it therefore, in a safe place."

Finally,

Here are some close-ups of the content of the 64 capsule contents. FYI, the camera is a polaroid, the watch is an Accutron, and the radio is an early transistor model. You can see the NYWF guidebook in the fourth and fifth pictures.

Enjoy.

643.jpg

644.jpg

645.jpg

646.jpg

641.jpg

647.jpg

642.jpg

In conclusion, between the replica capsules and the robot display, the Westinghouse Museum has much to recommend to the NYWF fan. You can even see George Westinghouse's office!