Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Play Ball!

Yeah, I remember that Indy car through about the late 80s. They were based in Pennsylvania though, so I'm pretty sure they're defunct entirely now.

What I remember most about Schaefer was their jingle that went, "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one!" They had to eventually change that lyric when it started to make people think the lyric was suggesting Schaefer is the beer to have when you want to get smashed! So the revised lyric went "Schaefer is the one beer to have when it's time to have some fun."

Yep, they were. Ah for the good old days when Indy car racing was the #1 racing circuit in America. The fall of Indy and the rise of NASCAR has not been a welcome thing for me.

The fall of Indy and the rise of NASCAR has not been a welcome thing for me.

Me neither, although I was always more partial the Sports/Endurance/GT cars like the Cobras, Ford GT40s, Ferrari 300 P3/P4, Porsche 917s, etc...

Indy Cars were probably my second favorite, with the Trans-Am Series and NASCAR cars coming in third and fourth.

(However, I must admit that as a kid I probably watched just as many races with guys named Petty, Allison, Pearson, Parsons & Yarborough in them as I did the races featuring guys named Foyt, Andretti, Donohue, Sneva, Rutherford & Mears - Oh the shame!).

PS - After I did my earlier posting this morning, I looked up the Pocono website - looks like they're all about NASCAR these days too...

<a href="http://www.poconoraceway.com/" target="_blank">http://www.poconoraceway.com/</a>

Best Regards,

Kevin

Yep. The Indy cars last raced at Pocono in 1989, well before the infamous CART-IRL split and refused to come back on the grounds that the track was unsafe for Indy cars and needed to be renovated, and the speedway wouldn't do so.

Even though I've long since soured on the Indy car circuit, I still look forward to the 500 each May. It's one of the greatest American traditions ever.

Even though I've long since soured on the Indy car circuit, I still look forward to the 500 each May.

Me too!

Back home again, in Indiana...

Mike Kraus - feel free to sing along!

Best Regards,

Kevin

".....And it seems that I can see

The gleaming candlelight still shining bright

Thro' the sycamores for me

The new mown hay sends all its fragrance

From fields I used to roam

When I dream

About the moonlight on the Wabash

Then I long for my Indiana home."

Let's hear it for Jim Nabors, everybody.

Yeah, the "track" is only 3 miles from the shop, pass by it frequently on the way to the bank.

(Even folks with a passing interest in racing will like the superb Speedway Museum.)

Strangely enough, I was never that gaa-gaa over Indy car racing, but was mad about Formula 1 in the old days. This was mostly due to seeing Cinerama's "Grand Prix" (1965) and our European connections. I liked sports-racing cars too (LeMans style).

I agree though, that they were all much better in the past!

Now back to baseball...

I would love to see if anyone has any photos of Shea's gigantic scoreboard early in 1964. Where the official Mets logo ended up sitting (at the center, top of the scoreboard), they had set up a screen to project slides of player's photos, films etc. I guess logistically, it couldn't work and replaced it with the Mets logo. There is a photo used in an ad in the Mets 1973 yearbook I have (I imagine the ad ran in earlier yearbooks too) of a color photo of a Mets homegame that must be early 1964. They are playing the Milwaukee Braves and the box at the top of the scoreboard does not have the Mets logo but it is kind of grey and empty. I'd love to see a pic of the attempted slide screen in action!

Hi TOLBISI,

Here's the best example I have found so far of the Mets scoreboard in early 1964:

Scoreboard.jpg

© Popular Science - August 1964

Best Regards,

Kevin