Sign in to follow this  
Eric Paddon

Time-7/16/65 "What The Matter Can Be"

Time ran this article on the Fair's ongoing attendance problem. Mentions how the "Fiesta" exhibit for 65 was two-thirds closed by this point already and that only the Florida Pavilion was doing any good in the Amusement section.

This is one of a select number of issues that Time has digitized on its website for subscribers making it possible to see more than just the text (but alas you can't download the whole issue at once and can only do one page at a time in a cumbersome fashion).

Were the big American auto companies "disillusioned by the New York Fair" as Montreal planners feared? I don't think so..... They packed 'em in at the NYWF!

Quite true. Auto companies were just about the one major industry that could come away satisfied from the whole Fair experience!

That said, I'm not aware of any of them signing on for Expo '67 though.

Interesting that they shut down the back half of the Fiesta area halfway through the 1965 season.

That would probably include the infamous "huts" which we have conjectured about, which based on the '65 Guide Book map we now think were part of Fiesta (and the hut color motifs seem to match the various Fiesta crafts kiosks).

Yesterday I found another hut picture, that shows part of the area inside the fence (it was shot from upstairs of the Pavilion of American Interiors across the street).

It looks like some soft drink carbonation bottles, and a waiter carrying something toward a fence gate that is swung open. On top of the hut it sure looks like some kind of chimney cap, like it's made to cook something in there.

008_-_View_from_Pavilion_of_American_Interiors.jpg

cropped from Bill Cotter Set 30, Picture #008

Hi All,

I recently bought this photo of the forgotten People-To-People Fiesta, and thought I would share it with the rest of you...

The photo appears to have been taken from the roof of the Coca Cola pavilion, looking northeast towards the Pavilion of American Interiors and Mastro Pizza (their sign can be seen peeking through the big tree on the left). IBM would have been to the right, and the Festival of Gas to the left.

The photo was obviously taken in 1965 (as this exibit was added to the Fair that year), so I found it a little strange that the copywrite date at the bottom of the photo was 1963...

Also of interest was the notes page attached to the back of the photograph:

"FROM THE NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR 1964-1965

PEOPLE TO PEOPLE FIESTA THIS EXHIBIT CONSISTS OF A GROUP BUILDINGS DIVIDED INTO FIVE MAJOR COMPLEXES, UNITED STATES, AFRICA, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA AND EUROPE, HOUSING HANDICRAFTS AND ARTIFACTS. A SIXTH COMPLEX, MANAGED AND OPERATED BY THE RESTAURANT ASSOCIATES PREPARES AND SERVES FOODS OF AN INTERNATIONAL CHARACTER.

ANOTHER PLEASANT FEATURE OF FIESTA, CHILDREN SMALL ENOUGH TO SQUEEZE THROUGH A SMALL CUT OUT IN THE FENCE WILL BE ADMITTED FREE."

For comparison, here's a link to some Fiesta photos that Randy and Bill posted back in 2004:

http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...indpost&p=24009

nywf-fiesta.jpg

Not even a bigger, bolder sign could save this one!

Best Regards,

Kevin

"CHILDREN SMALL ENOUGH TO SQUEEZE THROUGH A SMALL CUT OUT IN THE FENCE WILL BE ADMITTED FREE"

I guess I didn't follow at first, but they were charging admission so you could go in and buy things? Dumb and dumber! True, they had "free" shows once you were inside, but they cut themselves off from browsers.

It looks like they had two ticket booths in the front center, but no fence on either side. Perhaps they wised up by the time they took the picture.

"CHILDREN SMALL ENOUGH TO SQUEEZE THROUGH A SMALL CUT OUT IN THE FENCE WILL BE ADMITTED FREE"

I guess I didn't follow at first, but they were charging admission so you could go in and buy things? Dumb and dumber! True, they had "free" shows once you were inside, but they cut themselves off from browsers.

Compare the photos:

Fiesta-early.jpg

65-09-21-07_Fiesta_Market.jpg

It looks to me like they eliminated the "fence" on both sides of the entrance, and they converted the twin "ticket booths" into just another single souvenir booth by building a common roof over them.

There are other photos from the second half of 1965 as well, where it looks like you could walk right in- no gates, fences or anything (although there seemed to be a wooden fence around the back of the 'lot'.)

closeup: my guess is this is where the kids originally had to squeeze through to get in free...

65-09-21-07a_Fiesta_Market.jpg

...closeup: my guess is this is where the kids originally had to squeeze through to get in free...

Yep,

Here's a zoom-in of my photo:

KidsOpening.jpg

And the sign above the opening appears to say:

CHILDREN

WHO CAN SQUEEZE

THROUGH

THIS OPENING

WILL BE ADMITTED

FREE

Looks like they painted over the sign in your photo, so I wonder if they dropped the entrance fees as part of their "major revamping" of the exhibit - as mentioned in Bill's articles?

Best Regards,

Kevin