Eric Paddon

Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Eric

Although you don't see it everywhere, it's still pretty common in New York. I could ship it to you if you ever get desperate

Vile fluids, both... HoJo Cola AND Tab!!

As a New Englander, I'll take Moxie... even Diet Moxie over Tab any day!

Sorry Eric.

(That new Coke Zero is surprisingly good.)

My fondness for Tab is because it's the only one made with the old diet soda formula using saccharine in cans. Interestingly, most people don't know that Tab is practically the same thing you get when you order a Diet Coke in a restaurant because the fountain mixture of all diet sodas, whether Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, is still half saccharine as well. Only the canned stuff is 100 percent Nutra Sweet (the taste of which I despise).

The nice thing though is that the Coca-Cola company still realizes there's a niche out there for Tab drinkers so they can make the stuff without having to advertise it. But some markets are stingier than others (here in NJ you can only get them in the six packs, whereas when I was in IL I could always get more economical twelve packs).

Thanks for the offer to ship in case I need it!

Anyone remember the equally turgent No-Cal? The only flavor somewhat tolerable was chocolate. I love Fresca, they don't advertise it anymore either but you can still find it here.

Me- Jolt Cola.

"All the sugar, and twice the caffeine!!"

<a href="http://www.joltcola.com/jolt/p2.html" target="_blank">http://www.joltcola.com/jolt/p2.html</a>

Comparison of ingredients:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9692/joltcola.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9692/joltcola.html</a>

Which helps when one consumes as much as I do. I spent a summer in Asia in 1990 when regular Coke was about all I could drink for weeks on end and when I came back I found I'd lost the taste for all forms of regular soda. Only had one regular Coke in the years since.

We Tab drinkers though, are a more sizable group than those who had a fondness for what was once called New Coke.

And at least the Saturday Evening Post Fair issue shows that if I went back in time to the Fair, there'd be bound to be some Tab somewhere!

Interesting stuff about the fountain drinks vs. the cans and bottles, Eric.

Tab does have that cult following much like Moxie has.

Mike... you know how all the colas started out as medicine?

Well, Moxie STILL tastes like medicine... but has MANY followers here in the northeast.

Almost incredulous that they make a diet version!!! (which really isn't bad)

It was actually based about 10 miles from my home. lowell, Mass is just southwest of here.

Today, it'sproduced by our local Coca-Cola bottling plant.

<a href="http://www.bdragon.com/moxie/moxie.shtml" target="_blank">About Moxie</a>

It's bitter and sweet at the same time. Quite a strange brew.

I'll send you one... but you have to promise to give it a chance and drink the whole thing!

As a former helpless imbecile, I proudly endorse the miracle cures promised by this magic elixir.

Maybe I'd better send you a sixpack, Mike.

Do you remember they actually used to sell that stuff in cans for awhile also?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Proof of that is now available! Fortunately the auction is just for an empty can because the thought of a still-full can of that stuff does not make for pleasant thinking.

13_1_b.JPG

People will offer some strange things on e-bay!

When it comes to HoJo restaurant fanatics though, nothing will top this guy who has a whole private museum of unopened items and features salvaged from closed restaurants.

<a href="http://www.autoage.org/Florida/Jacksonville/Ihrie/ihrie1.html" target="_blank">http://www.autoage.org/Florida/Jacksonvill...rie/ihrie1.html</a>

In the late fifties, I stopped at the Fort Lee, NJ Howard Johnson Restaurant and sat at a table next to Carmel Quinn, then a singer on the Arthur Godfrey radio and tv shows.

The food was mediocre and the service so slow, we waited almost a half hour and never got our check. In retaliation, my friend and and I concocted the most amazing feat..... we decided to slowly walk out backwards towards the entrance.

Out we we went, with no one noticing, to the parking lot..... my first and only theft of (mediocre) service.

Later I learned that Howard Johnson's Tendersweet Clams was the subject of a federal lawsuit. It was based upon the fact that they were not real clams, but were in fact strips of shark back that had the same kind of taste as clams. HJ won their case because the lawyers convinced the jury that they were copyrighted as "Howard Johnson's Tendersweet Clams" and therefore were unrelated to any other fried clams due to that distinction.

Ray Dashner

Hello there good people.

I once drank dregs and dregs of Tab.

Tab is available here, in MI, by the case, and the 2 liter.

I loved Fresca when it was a frosty green. Now, clear, it seems to have become an appendage of 7 up and Sprite.

Moxie is an acquired taste, to be sure. My affection lies mostly in Ted Williams former endorsements for it.

Growing up in MA: I never fully understood the allure of the Howard Johnson Clam Strip. The magic of a fried clam being, of course, it's belly.

I remember Howard Johnson's well. My family often stopped by one of their highway side locations for a grilled hot dog, or ice cream cone. I recall that the hot dogs and ice cream were quite good.

Does anyone recall the line of Howard Johnson frozen entrees? I was fond of the macaroni and cheese.

Good to read you all again.

• Like 1

Rose, I am so pleased to see you once again posting. I hope all is going well for you.

Welcome back Rose!

WOW...this must be homecoming week. Who else are missing?

Bench- back

Hoodlock- check

Bradd- check

Vinnie- where is Mr. Mastro? his posted picture links don't work any more, so he must have a new ISP if he's still on the 'net. He was in the Boston area wasn't he- adjacent to Christian Science headquarters? I think he said that one time.

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Does anyone recall the line of Howard Johnson frozen entrees? I was fond of the macaroni and cheese. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

In New York they still sell Howard Johnsons frozen macaroni & cheese, I have to look if there are any other selections.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

It's good to be back. I've missed all of you, and this place.

(I beg your pardon as I go through old posts, and try my best to catch up.)

I was in Asbury Park, NJ last weekend. On the boardwalk is a really neat two story Googie-Like Howard Johnsons - the top floor was closed but the main floor was open.

Thios place looked like is wa about to fall apart - boarded up windows, fixtures hanging from the ceiling and a mechanical cash register that must've come from the 60's.

Never the less there were the vinyl booths, ice cream fountain and scooping containers. The person working the counter (only employee I could see) asked if I'd like to buy the place!

I asked if it was still a HoJo's and all he said was, "that's what the sign says" ina thick latin accent. I'm sure there was lead and fiberglass in the air but what a neat place - even with the filth and decaying decor. I didn't have the guts to actually eat anything there but there were a few unsavory looking charaters at the counter having ice coffee.

Look but don't eat, sounds like a wise course of action for that place!

HoJo buffs won't shed too many tears for Asbury Park once it finally goes. Waterbury, CT I think ranks as the one they'd most like to see endure since it's never modified its original HoJo-style architecture.