Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

The NBC Opening Night Broadcast

I think I've seen film footage of Cantinflas at the Academy Awards for the 1956 version of 'Around the World in 80 Days'- the Mike Todd version.

Was the Oscar show telecast in those days?

I believe I've heard that Cantinflas was the #1 entertainer in Mexico by the late 1950's- it's hard to believe he didn't make any appearances on television until 1964. Maybe it was his first appearance in a scripted role.

The Academy Awards were telecast from at least 1950 and definitely by 1956. I think your right since the Oscars was really not a television show but a telecast of an awards show.

Funny that this list of TV appearances doesn't include the NBC World's Fair special, but it does include a What's My Line appearance 4 years previously (without pay, presumably).

Notable TV Guest Appearances

"Como Pedro por su casa" 14 June 1985

"V.I.P.-Schaukel" playing "Himself" (episode # 8.1) 31 March 1978

"What's My Line?" playing "Mystery Guest" 18 September 1960

source:

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134594/" target="_blank">http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134594/</a>

I found this anecdote about a chess game that Cantinflas is said to have played against Bobby Fischer- it doesn't smack of being true- more of a Mexican "urban legend", but might have grown up around Cantinflas being a 'legend' in Mexico and obviously competitiveness north & south of the border, David vs Goliath, etc. It's Google-translated from the original Spanish, but you get the gist of the story....

fischer.jpgcantinflas.jpg

Bobby Fischer and Mario Moreno "Cantinflas"

Few players know the ability of Mario Moreno "Cantinflas" to play the chess. Hard fan, slippery player of tactical cut, but little friend of the theory.

During the Olympic Games of Varna, after the game with Botwinnik, to Fischer the thorough ones weighed to him enough not to have analyzed their game against the Russian, leaving him to escape with miraculous tables. The following equipment to that they faced was the Mexican and Fischer promised to the first rival board that would make dust. Suddenly this "ill one '" and were not substitutes for 1er. board. The captain of the Mexican equipment did not have other "to recruit" to the comic one of America that was of onlooker in first row.

Fischer, seated, watched its next victim and it says to him: "of 25 movements you do not happen. Let us play the game ". To which Cantinflas, a little perplex responds to him: "nanita Ay. We began bad, young. Which game? Better we played it "completes".

The outlandish game of Cantinflas left overwhelmed Fischer, that was not able to break the iron and tenacious resistance of the comic one. 98 movements and 5 hours of game and Fischer passed as soon as it had a laborer of advantage in a complicated end of towers. As it were called on to him to play Cantinflas, this it requested to postpone the game and it wrote down his secret play.

This time Fischer the position kept awake and analyzed meticulously until minutes before the renewal of the game, with so ruining lightest contrajuego of the rival.

Hurried, one went to the hall game. Cantinflas still did not arrive. Tired and somnoliento, target remained when it saw the paper with the secret play that wrote Cantinflas. This one said: "Abandonment" .

"but it does include a What's My Line appearance 4 years previously (without pay, presumably)."

WML Mystery Guests always got at least $50 to give to charity for appearing. Usually the benefit of doing WML was to promote a current project of theirs.

Thank goodness that Game Show Network made it possible for me to discover that old classic! I probably have some 600 episodes of it on tape now and it's a lot more interesting than many a sitcom repeat.

What's My Line, To Tell the Truth, I've Got a Secret - all good. The interest was the game and not just a big dollar prize. (Although I will admit to watching "Wheel" once in a while, and would watch Jeopardy occasonally if it coincided with a free moment.)

Those shows had a real down home quality. Celebrities meeting regular people. Human interest as motivation, not money. Simply charming.

now...WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE!!!! OK, I watch some of those too, you're not alone Wayne.

This TV spot for the MTA and the fair was posted once before but this is the whole thing and very clear

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=HdIJ0Zs1igU&search=new%20york%20%20fair" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/watch?v=HdIJ0Zs1igU&sea...0york%20%20fair</a>

First time I have seen this

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-NY-Worlds-Fair-US-Steel-TV-show-Poster-25x38_W0QQitemZ7754490864QQcategoryZ4169QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-NY-Worlds-Fair-US...1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

I saw this two days ago and pointed it out to Al Fisher, who helped arrange that show as Director of Radio & TV for the Fair Corporation (and Al now collects memorablia associated with his long & storied career).

Al said it's interesting but he's going to pass because it's way, way overpriced.

That MTA television commercial is fun to watch. I remember hearing it as a kid. And it is very Sixties. I often think that the guy looks a bit like Bob Crane, the actor who played Hogan on Hogan's Heroes. I wonder where that young man and woman (in that advertisement) are today.

Yes, it's a great commercial! Handsome young couple tooling around the fair having too much fun! (and I agree with Jim, he does look like Bob Crane!) And again, very cool to see how well everyone dressed back in the day (although I wonder how the fashion police would feel about the man's white socks.... Men's health might also have a few choice comments in the "style issue"). Thanks for the link to this great little piece of nostalgia!

Larry, it made me laugh when you wrote that the couple was having too much fun. You are absolutely right. The nearly hysterical laughter on the train would make anybody want to move away from them! It makes me think of what Jean Kerr, the humorist who wrote "Please Don't Eat The Daisies" in the early 1960's, would refer to as a person who appeared to be "a little bit dotty." Good stuff!!

All right here's one for you Eric. I'd doin' this off the top of my head-

'64 Yankees-

around the infield I recall it being Joe Pepitone, Tony Kubek, Bobby Richardson and Clete Boyer.

Catcher was Elston Howard.

Pitchers included Mel Stottlemeyer and Whitey Ford. And Pete somebody, and they had one black pitcher- I forget his name.

The outfield of course was handled by Roger Maris in right and Mickey Mantle in center. But who was the left fielder?

The name Tom Tresh comes to mind, but I'm picturing Tresh as an infielder and I've already got those covered. Was Tom Tresh the left fielder?

Roger Maris was my favorite player when I was a kid, and Bobby Richardson was #2.

You are correct on all the names you mention and the other pitchers were Pete Mikkelsen, who was basically the closest the team had to a relief ace that year (though not too effectively since he gave up the game winning homer to Tim McCarver in the 5th game), Al Downing (the team's black starter) and Jim Bouton who won Games 3 and 6.

Tom Tresh began his career as a shortstop when he came up in 62 but switched the outfield that first year and was indeed the leftfielder.

Tony Kubek, normally the regular shortstop missed the entire WS that year because of back problems so Phil Linz, a reserve infielder who later owned a New York nightclub, played short during that WS.

I was just flipping through my son's Sports Illustrated over dinner tonight, and found out that Tom Tresh passed away last week at the age of 71. So how many of the '64 Yankees are left? Maris and Mantle are both gone of course. I saw Whitey Ford on TV at the Yankee Stadium "final game" a few weeks ago, so he's still around. Their numbers are dwindling though. Oh yeah, on the '64 Cardinals side, Tim McCarver is now up in the broadcast booth on many national telecasts.

I was just flipping through my son's Sports Illustrated over dinner tonight, and found out that Tom Tresh passed away last week at the age of 71. So how many of the '64 Yankees are left? Maris and Mantle are both gone of course. I saw Whitey Ford on TV at the Yankee Stadium "final game" a few weeks ago, so he's still around. Their numbers are dwindling though. Oh yeah, on the '64 Cardinals side, Tim McCarver is now up in the broadcast booth on many national telecasts.

That was sad about Tresh's passing. I had seen him just a few months before at Old Timers Day, where he was wearing his old uniform #15. Even though #15 was retired later for Thurman Munson, they always let the players at OT Day wear the numbers they wore as a player.

The 64 Yankees who are still alive would include:

Yogi Berra (Manager)

Joe Pepitone (1B)

Bobby Richardson (2B)

Tony Kubek (SS)

Phil Linz (Reserve Infielder)

Johnny Blanchard (Reserve Catcher)

Hector Lopez (Outfield)

Mike Hegan (Infield. Added to WS roster to replace Kubek who was injured)

Whitey Ford (Pitcher)

Al Downing (Pitcher)

Jim Bouton (Pitcher)

Ralph Terry (Pitcher)

Rollie Sheldon (Pitcher)

Stan Williams (Pitcher)

Pedro Ramos (Pitcher. Won the Yankees the pennant but acquired after the trade deadline and was ineligible for WS)

Those that are dead would be:

Tom Tresh (LF)

Mickey Mantle (CF)

Roger Maris (RF)

Elston Howard ©

Clete Boyer (3B)

Steve Hamilton (P)

Pete Mikkelsen (P)

Hal Reiniff (P)

Cantiflas is today's Google Doodle. Thanks to the World's Fair Community, I have an idea who he is!