Sign in to follow this  
Yadda Yadda

General Foods Arch Sighting?

Look at the cool arch models general Foods had

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-NY-Worlds-Fair-ARCHWAYS-Press-Photo-w-Notes_W0QQitemZ7754216233QQcategoryZ4169QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-NY-Worlds-Fair-AR...1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

This Sept 1965 pic shows some of the arch advertising as well as huge end of the fair crowds.

I drove by the Duff Quarry by accident on my way to Columbus today. I was trying out the navigation system on my wife's new car and it took my right by the quarry HQ. I saw the arches in the distance and immediately recognized them. Unfortunately I did not have my camera as I was not expecting to see them. However, we did stop for a few minutes to look. I am pleased to report that they are in excellent shape and continue to perform well in a useful role.

Sorry Jim,

There is no new world trade center, just a big hole in the ground and it seems its going to be just that for some time to come. The only future being dreamed up in NYC is where to build more gigantic luxury condo towers and making NYers pay $8.00 to drive into Manhattan.

Don

I was curious as to the locations for the General Foods Arches and decided to try to pinpoint them on Google Earth. The arches in West Hempstead, NY and Rocky Point, RI are clear - unfortunately the section of Ohio that the two arches at the C. E. Duff and Sons quarry does not have the clarity. Google Earth is constantly updating their images and perhaps in the near future it will be better.

If you have Google Earth on your computer, you can download the attached .kmz file and it will whisk you away.

I hope to have our new website operational at the end of this month - we've had a render slowdown.

All the best

Lori