Photo

Unknown pavilion - any ideas who it was for?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hi, I hope the picture isn't too big, but this is a proposed building for the fair. (The original is quite large and pasted on a presentation board. It even has a rough of the Unisphere in one far corner) The building has a map of some sort in the middle and what looks to be an information desk. I have no idea what this building could have been planned as. I'm guessing a state pavilion or a slight possibility it's an idea for an outdoor WF map, with an info booth.

But these are mere shots in the dark. Does anyone have any idea what building this might have been proposed for. Thanks! GaryH
Posted Image

#2 xolo

xolo

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:58 PM

I'm guessing a state pavilion or a slight possibility it's an idea for an outdoor WF map, with an info booth.

But these are mere shots in the dark. Does anyone have any idea what building this might have been proposed for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like the people are looking at some kind of relief map with landscaping - perhaps a scale model of the fair?

#3 Hoodlock

Hoodlock

Metroman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

I am feeling Equable Life…

#4 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:41 PM

What ever it was, it would have been neat.
And it would definitely NOT still be there today!

#5 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

There are lots of similarities with what Equitable actually ended up building, both thematic similarities and architectural simularities, for instance-
Map with low retaining wall in front of it.
Roof jutting out and upward at an angle.

Now if the artist had drawn in Mastro Pizza right behind it, that would nail it!

#6 scrock30

scrock30

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

I think its the original design for the worlds fair pavilion that was built by the Worlds Fair Corp. I've seen some early renderings of the fairgounds and the original design that housed the Churchhill exhibit in 1965 looked very much like this building.

#7 Giant Pineapple

Giant Pineapple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

Gary, where did you find that picture?

#8 Bob Skolmen

Bob Skolmen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:39 AM

I don't know if this is relevant, but that large model in the drawing resembles the size and shape of this one which was published in the Saturday Evening Post on April 8, 1961. I wish I knew who the men gathered around the model are, but unfortunately they're not identified in the caption. This image was taken from a photocopy, which explains the poor quality.

#9 Bradd Schiffman

Bradd Schiffman

Hopeless Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

From Progress Report#8:

[attachment=299:attachment]

I guess it COULD be the same one...

#10 Bradd Schiffman

Bradd Schiffman

Hopeless Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:17 PM

Bob, I found this in one of the early Progress Reports in a montage of press clippings. It seems to indicate that it came from the 4/8/61 issue of the Saturday Evening Post (the typeface on both photo captions look similar, that's why I think the big photo goes with the little one, and hence the story). Sorry I don't have this issue, but you can undoubtedly find it on eBay...

[attachment=300:attachment]

#11 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:40 PM

Hi! To answer Giant Pineapple's question, I bought it as part of a box lot of WF stuff. I was actually buying the whole box to get another item, and didn't even know this was in the box. But this was a pleasant and probably more important find.

I did think about this as a possible early sketch for what turned into the domed Assembly Pavilion/Winston Churchhill Pavilion, but it doesn't have any qualities the Assembly Building would have - rows of seats, stage, etc. And there's that map and info stand that indicate another use. Pictures of the original idea for the Assembly Building certainly do resemble this one, that's for sure, but even the originals had it as an enclosed space, I believe. I can't get to my WF reports at the moment to check that out for sure. Or maybe they took this design, scrapped the building's usage as indicated in the drawing, and turned it into the early idea for the Assembly Building. I'm still just guessing, though.

#12 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:08 PM

In the POST photograph of the map room, that's Allen E. Beach, Director of International Exhibits, holding the pointer. And maybe Mike Pender way at the end of the map? He liked bow ties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users