Sign in to follow this  
dalorubo

smoke ring button

Hello -- this is my first time posting --

I think some of you may be able to give me information on an old button that reads, "Meet Me At The The Smoke Ring".

The double 'The' gets people ever time!

Any info on this button, including value, would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Welcome to PTU dalorubo!

You might want to look at this photo, which was just posted yesterday, which shows one of the giant smoke rings being formed and lifting away from the machine that made it, just to the right of the building.

19_Japan_Pavilion_from_Swiss_Sky_Ride.jpg

The explanation:

General Cigar Corporation sponsored a pavilion called the "Hall of Magic" which put on magic shows.

At one side of the building, they installed a large machine (outdoors) which could produce gigantic smoke rings which would rise high into the sky, and were visible all over the World's Fair park.

They advertised it as being so visible that if anybody were to get lost or agree to split up and see different things in the park, they could always agree to "meet at the smoke ring" because it could be a common point of reference.

The idea would be- spot a smoke ring rising into the sky, and walk toward the spot it came from, which would be the smoke ring machine.

It became a sort of advertising slogan for the General Cigar Pavilion, and they produced these buttons.

I don't know whether the smoke rings were frequent enough or visually traceable enough to actually make the 'meeting spot' idea practical.

I remember when I went to the Fair one day as an 8-year old kid, I'd heard about the big smoke ring machine, and was disappointed that I didn't see a ring all day, even when we walked right past it.

Button value as a collectible: $3-5. They're fairly common.

So far I'm not aware of anybody discovering a button with a single "the"- it's indeed one of the more humorous errors that was allowed to be proliferated without correction.

These artist's renderings implied a machine capable of pumping out rings every 2 or 3 seconds, which would have made the 'meet me' slogan quite practical.

In reality I don't think it was anything close to that. What do you experts think- a ring every minute or two at peak operating capacity?

78165-B_General_Cigar_Pavilion.jpg

Cigar_brochure.jpg

Ray Dashner's photo, on the other hand, shows a single ring lifting lazily into the sky, but NOT looking like a string of life saver rings!

03_-_flowers_-_looking_towards_Japan.jpg

I think as I kid I was expecting to see these neat 'donuts' floating across the sky like the artists had depicted.

During my visit with my family to the fair in May 1964, I have very distinct and clear memories of the smoke rings. On the evening of our first day of the fair (5/17/64), we stood at the Solar fountain and watched the machine produce smoke rings. The machine made a very unique "clunk-kerchunk" sound (flap doors releasing the smoke) and you could watch the ring roil up into the sky until it lost its shape. I remember that it was running all three days we were at the fair.

Also remember watching the magic show. That's where "Cigars, Cigarettes, Tiperellos" was etched into my brain.

thank you all for the great info and memories! great photos!!

I too remember the distinct sound of the smoke ring and your photos and information have really made me think about what an awesome experience the fair was! I was nine. What is really amazing is that I am only 29 today

Here's another photo. The smoke is just starting to rise up out of the machine (green arrow), and the people waiting in line on the left have heard the sound and are raising their cameras up to their eyes to snap a picture as soon as the smoke 'ring' has clearly formed.

002_-_Hall_of_Magic.jpg

Having looked at thousands of photos of the Fair I would have to say the machine was a flop. Otherwise you would see smoke rings in many of the pictures, but they rarely appear. I remember seeing them, and the sound, but mostly it was puffs of smoke and not real rings.

I would have to disagree with you Bill; I enjoyed the smoke rings often. Remember that the rings were affected by the weather.

What I never saw, was the cloud that was suppose to hang over the Mormon Pavilion.

If the machine did not work too well they should have studied the one in Times Square. I think it was for Winston or Camel but that guy puffed perfectly. I remember as a kid my Aunt took me to a show at Radio City and all I talked about was the smoke rings.

Thanks for that picture Chairman. Times Square back in the day. My dad said he saw Sinatra at the Paramount Theater way back when. Just across the river from Hoboken! Where I now work.

I think it's smoking in the Corbis photograph- a billow of smoke is coming out the mouth.

Never looks as perfect as an artist's conception though.

Like the world's fair rings I remember the Camel sign also fluctuated with the weather. There were times it came out like a burst puff of smoke and other time there were rings, although never perfect if I recall correctly.

Mike I noticed that too. We were talking about the sign in work today. Nobody remembered the WF cigar rings (which surprised me) but everyone remembered the Times Square one. I see that the billboard was on 44th St. For some reason I thought it was around 46th St. and Bonds was at 44th St. Bonds must have been 43rd St.

Right. The Camel sign was mounted on the Hotel Claridge, on the southeast corner of 44th & Broadway.

Bond was on the s.e. corner of 45th & B'way at 7th Ave. They also had spectacular signage, as you know.

I can't remember where, exactly, the T.S. Arcade was. That was a must stop for us kids! I'm wanting to say it was across the street from the Camel sign, but that would put it in the Paramount bldg. Don't think so...

Welcome to PTU dalorubo!

You might want to look at this photo, which was just posted yesterday, which shows one of the giant smoke rings being formed and lifting away from the machine that made it, just to the right of the building.

The explanation:

General Cigar Corporation sponsored a pavilion called the "Hall of Magic" which put on magic shows.

At one side of the building, they installed a large machine (outdoors) which could produce gigantic smoke rings which would rise high into the sky, and were visible all over the World's Fair park.

They advertised it as being so visible that if anybody were to get lost or agree to split up and see different things in the park, they could always agree to "meet at the smoke ring" because it could be a common point of reference.

The idea would be- spot a smoke ring rising into the sky, and walk toward the spot it came from, which would be the smoke ring machine.

It became a sort of advertising slogan for the General Cigar Pavilion, and they produced these buttons.

I don't know whether the smoke rings were frequent enough or visually traceable enough to actually make the 'meeting spot' idea practical.

I remember when I went to the Fair one day as an 8-year old kid, I'd heard about the big smoke ring machine, and was disappointed that I didn't see a ring all day, even when we walked right past it.

Button value as a collectible: $3-5. They're fairly common.

So far I'm not aware of anybody discovering a button with a single "the"- it's indeed one of the more humorous errors that was allowed to be proliferated without correction.

(I'm Greg Wilson, and my father, Mark Wilson designed the button for General Cigar in 1964. The double "the" was on purpose as an optical illusion, mental trick. There are many stories about the button, and you are lucky to have one!)

The Camel sign on Broadway changed while staying the same many times. The neon pack of cigarettes and the word ‘CAMEL’ never changed, however the man did.

At first, it is a man with a hat and a suit with wide lapels, during the war years; the man was an aviator, a sailor, a soldier twice, once with a helmet one without. After the war, the man returned to civilian clothes, this time with no hat and a sporty suit with thin lapels.

There was another topic on the smoke rings just this past week....and I just came across this old one that had an extensive discussion on the ring formation. So I thought I'd bump it back up for consideration.

It included this really good view of a ring rising up from the box.