Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Restored images - Part 3

Hi Bill,

I thought, if these have been put on CD or something, that you would want to know that the Netherlands slide, #4126, is backwards.

Very best always,

Eric

PS - I have been playing around with these night images of the Theme Center and have acheived some results with correction you might find as improvements - if you like, I'll post them.

Hi Bill,

well, here is one version. I believe, after looking at more of these images in b/w and color than I can recall, that there was more light caught in the humid air that seems prevalent in these night shots resulting in an image that is not as dark as yours. This "captured" light created the effect of an overall glow and slightly washed out the color coming from distant lights, and I think the painted plaster of the Sundial should reflect more of the ambient light showing its cream color and less red than your version. All this trapped light I believe created the most wonderous, etheral and dreamlike unreal quality filling the whole Theme area all around the Perisphere. I also feel this version I did has more of fore, mid and background - providing a sense of depth and enhancing the spherical floating quality of the Perisphere which I think might be conveyed to greater effect here. What do you think?

Best always,

Eric

colorthemecompositePTU.jpg

Hi Bill,

here is another. Same idea in play - much refracted "caught" light creating very washed out atmospheric lighting and amience with an etheral mood and unreal feeling combined with immense scale. I think yours was a little too dark and too intensely colored. One might fall into the reflecting pool under the Trylon! :o

Best,

Eric

colortheme2compositePTU.jpg

Hi Bill,

here is one more for now - Italy. More light and detail in the architecture. From what I have seen, this water put out a lot of light, so the loss of detail in the lightest areas is apparently to be expected at this close range. Though now, you can see the "Marconi" sign and all of the tree, which leads me to believe this is more accurate. I have some more of the Theme Center I will post soon. Hope you find this of interest.

Best,

Eric

italyreduxPTU.jpg

Hi Bill,

and another; same observations. See the water spray underneath, the light caught in the tree near the spray and the surface of the Perisphere etc. More light trapped in the seemingly humid air and not so dark.

Best,

Eric

ThemecolorreduxPTU.jpg

Hi Bill,

here is another - Poland. Just exposure and contrast stuff - only minor color alterations.

Best,

Eric MB

polandreduxPTU.jpg

Just a caution - I haven't seen anyone mention monitor calibration. Shadow rendition and detail visibility is extremely dependent on monitor black level setting, and if your monitor black level is low, you may easily "correct" images only to have them appear washed out on a calibrated monitor.

Hi Wayne,

I always am concerned with that - I worry that the old ocean liner images I restore and publish will appear differently on other monitors. The same goes for restorations I do for printed books and other printed matter - especially when I am not doing the printing. I just set my color inline with certain charts, tell the designer what my gamma is and beyond that it is out of my control and I hope for the best. Results are good so far. The new book coming out this year with the 29 unpublished color images of the Cunard RMS Aquitania with be a real litmus test. Again, my work will only look as good as the limitations of the publisher but they seem to handle color well from what I hear of the page proofs.

Best,

Eric

Hi, Billy. I wasn't ignoring you but have been away traveling, and the only time I had to try PTU it was down. I looked at the pictures, and while they are lighter, some of them look fairly washed out to me. Poland, for example, just doesn't have the amount of contrast that I feel is needed to give it some zing. I played with the Italy picture just now, and while I could bring out details like the guide ropes for crowd control or people on the steps it looked too washed out for me.

As Wayne said, it might be different monitors, etc., or just different tastes. Sometimes on my CDs I will have what I consider the best tradeoff image, then will add in one with the details punched up as well, as it's tough not to want to pull some of those things out of the shadows.

Thanks for the examples!

Bill

Hi Bill,

you are welcome. I think it may be just what Wayne said - differences in monitor settings. I was reminded of this image you posted of US Steel. On my PC it looks incredibly dark - if my version on the right looks too light then it is likely differences in monitor gamma etc. The night shots of the T&P - especially the first one with the Sundial - I do believe there was more light hanging in the air in those although I can see what you mean about Poland looking a bit washed out. Perhaps something in the middle would be correct. Did you say these color images were mass produced slides? I recall you mentioned one batch was - the one with the flipped majorette. That would explain a lot if so.

All good wishes,

Eric

ussteelcompPTU.jpg

Here again I prefer the one on the left - but they're both great views. I'll try to remember to look at all of these on my laptop later and see how they compare to my desk monitor.

Yes, those slides were commercial slides so not originals, and thus may well vary between runs.

Hi Bill,

here is another. Same idea in play - much refracted "caught" light creating very washed out atmospheric lighting and amience with an etheral mood and unreal feeling combined with immense scale. I think yours was a little too dark and too intensely colored. One might fall into the reflecting pool under the Trylon! :o

Best,

Eric

colortheme2compositePTU.jpg

Hi Eric,

I actually like the darker version because it reminds me more of the planet saturn with the arch looking like the ring around the perisphere "planet". Definitely more etherial if not more true to life.

P.S.

Loved the photos you sent, sorry for the delayed response. I'd been meaning to call for a while.

Don

I'm not a '39 aficionado, but I've done due diligence searching PTU, and still can't reconcile the difference between the Italy Pavilion I see pictured in this thread and what I assume are family photos I recently scanned. post-3873-1215104242_thumb.jpg

Can someone tell me what Italy pavilion I have a photograph of? Specifically compared to post #5?

BTW, those night photos of the '39 Fair are pheNOMenal ! I really had no idea. Thank you for posting them.

I'm not a '39 aficionado, but I've done due diligence searching PTU, and still can't reconcile the difference between the Italy Pavilion I see pictured in this thread and what I assume are family photos I recently scanned. post-3873-1215104242_thumb.jpg

Can someone tell me what Italy pavilion I have a photograph of? Specifically compared to post #5?

This sketch gives a good overall view, that should help you reconcile to your photos. First of all, you see that there were TWO big statues- one at the bottom and one up on top. You see the colonnades on both sides- those are in your photos. And the waterfalls at the bottom on either side of the Marconi plaque.

Italian_pavilion.jpg

Hi Xfler,

nice photos! Love family photos. The really scarce image is what might appear "boring" - the first horizontal photo which is the back of Con Ed on the left and the Glass Building on the right - you rarely see that angle. Great stuff :)

MB

OH, I see now! It looked to me the "Italia" and top statue were mounted on top of that colonnade. But they are just aligned to make it appear that way.

Thanks.

Wow. From what I see of 1939 and earlier Fairs, adults must have reacted to them they way I did as a kid to NYWF64. I can only imagine what it was like to live in the 30s and be confronted with that Helicline and dwarfed by the Perisphere. Or earlier, in a lightless world, be staggered by the electric lighting effects in Chicago.

Hi All,

I think what I like best about the night slide above that Don was talking about is the shadow of the Helicline supports and transparent railing etc. on the side of the Observation Bridge. Nice. :)

MB