Sign in to follow this  
Gary Rose

Wisconsin Cheese

A short trivia question for you - I just came upon the answer this past week, and I thought I'd test your "Trivia Expertise"

The cheese currently in Wisconsin in the same trailer as at the Fair is a replica. The question: What finally happened to the ORIGINAL cheese??

Actually, the cheese was cut up into small blocks and sold to the public in Eau Claire, Wisconsin in December 1965.

The sale location was at the former Hotel Eau Claire, which was razed and a new Holiday Inn / Eau Claire Civic Center built in its place.

I saw an article at the Wisconsin Pavilion at Neillsville that detailed the sale. Bill did you provide that article? It was near your display of NYWF items.

Randy.

[This message has been edited by AMFMonorail (edited 08-06-2001).]

Well, that's not exactly what I read this past week...I read that it was consumed in 1965 at the Annual Meeting of Wisconsin Dairymen & Cheesmakers Assoc.....could they have sold it to the public at that time, thus making both stories dove-tail?

When I got to know Kevin & Peggy Grapp, the owners of the Wisconsin Pavilion in Neillsville about 10 years ago, Kevin showed me this big folder of newspaper clippings that had been accumulated about the Pavilion and the Big Cheese over the years. The article you saw, Randy, is from that folder. I mounted some of them on a display board so they could be read by people who came to the pavilion. That article is the only reference I've ever seen as to what became of The Big Cheese -- that is, it was cut up and sold at a charity auction in Eau Claire in 1965 or 1966.

The auction could have been part of the Dairymen's Association Convention. I believe that organization actually sponsored the "construction" of the cheese. Like many of the pavilions at the Fair, the Wisconsin Pavilion was not governent sponsored. A group of Wisconsin businessmen built the pavilion and sold space in it to Wisconsin industry. They created and reserved the T-Pee portion or "Rotunda" for the State of Wisconsin government exhibits (University of Wisconsin, State Tourism, etc.), but the rest of the exhibit space was rented out to various businesses. At least this is my understanding.

And I suppose a bit of it was consumed at the charity auction as well. I've never met a cheddarhead who didn't like a good piece of cheese! And, if one is in "the biz" (dairy industry) they'd better like it!

Bill

Did someone mention the Big Cheese?

I'm glad to see someone has revived the discussion on one of the most overlooked gems of the 64 NYWF. The Big Cheese!

It's like I always say. No discussion about the 64 NYWF is complete unless someone mentions the Big Cheese!

I thought the Big Cheese is living in Sheboygan too! biggrin.gif

(if you call Sheboygan living rolleyes.gif )

[This message has been edited by Hoodlock (edited 08-11-2001).]