Sign in to follow this  
Expo_Seeker40

Your perfect day in FMCP

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then you just go out to FMCP with your handheld GPS and find it. And the result? More likely than not you'll arrive at the exact location Hoodlock found!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, Randy-- I'm sure you're right about that. And thanks for the map, Hoodlock-- which I actually already have, but appreciate nonetheless. I guess I was just trying to get a better idea of your vantage point in the photograph you took. Was it from outside the park looking at the bombing location-- or from inside looking out? -Trey

Sheesh Don, every time I've been at the park, I'm always with a gaggle of folks, Fair fans, and we spend hours around the Unisphere. How could we have missed you?

I'm the only guy there not playing soccer or rollerblading around the Unisphere, I dunno how I missed you unless I thought you were a lost group looking for TOP. Recently I go at night, it's cooler then. Let me know when you plan another outing, a walk thru the park with fair fans would be awesome.

Worldsfairent, after further review, I have discovered that I was in error when I located the bombsite and took the picture in question. With the aide of new tools, I am now able to show with certainly the true location of that fateful event.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me know when you plan another outing, a walk thru the park with fair fans would be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's always an announcement here on the board. Stay tuned!

That seems to make sense, Hoodlock-- because any time I've tried to orient myself through past and present maps-- it has always seemed to be somewhere close to the current post office location. -Trey

For the record it is important to name the other officers maimed or injured in the explosion (This was the third bombing in NYC in two weeks).

Detective William J. Federer

Detective Joseph Gallagher

Detective Martin J. Schuchman

Patrol officer Emil Vyskoeil

Back in 1940 did the City provide insurance for the lives of police officers, to help their families in a tragedy like this? Nothing replaces a loved one of course- I'm just curious how hard the families had it in the next few years in the absence of the 'breadwinner', and if the City did anything to help, and if it was proportional to what the family of a City police/fire person lost on 9/11 might expect. One would think that Great Britain might have helped too since the police call was servicing their Pavilion, but then they were already at War at the time, losing thousands of their own citizens in the Blitz.

Was anybody ever convicted for planting the bomb, or did the investigation result in pretty sound evidence of who did it, or who "ordered it" ?

Randy, no one person or group were ever held accountable for this act of terrorism.

As far as I know, Life Insurance, Personal Disability Income Protector, Personal Hospital Intensive Care or Hospital Protection was not available. (Aflac was founded in November 15. 1955)*

However, the Police do take care of their own, and a fund was created to help the families.

Up until a few years ago, the surviving family of the fallen police officers met for a remembrance ceremony. This observance was not held at the site of the event, but was held by the commemorative plaque by New York City Building (The Queens Museum).

*In 2001 Aflac was in the process of enrolling the members of the New York Fire Department, when the tragedy of September 11, took place.

Aflac honored every claim, even though the policies had not gone into effect at that time. Aflac had the legal right to reject the claims but chose not to. Aflac also waived all premiums due for six-months to all who were affected by the event (this was also done for the victims of Katrina).

Glad you added the officers names, Hoodlock. It's an often overused word-- but they truly were heroes.

Some other interesting facts about the 40 bombing. The next day, Police Commissioner Valentine placed every single NYPD officer on active duty (a very expensive move which had never been made before) until they determined who was responsible. So over the next several days-- during a massive manhunt-- virtually every German sympathizer and/or suspected member of a Bundist group anywhere near the city was rounded up for questioning, since the politics of the time (and the bomb's initial placement inside the British Pavilion) seemed to point in that likelyl direction. But no suspect was ever charged-- and eventually, Valentine was forced to scale back his relentless effort.

And to this day, it remains a cold but open case.

Eyewitnesses said that the suitcase containing the bomb sat in the fan room for two days. In fact that is what made it suspect, therefore the perpetrator could well have been out of the country by the time of the explosion.

Were forensics investigators (maybe they called them something different back then) able to determine what kind of device was inside?- like was it a timer device (if so, two elapsed days sounds like it malfunctioned), or a motion sensor device (being able to carry it several blocks before it went off also sounds like it was a fairly amateur design). Placing it in the fan room, we wonder what the "plan" was- did they expect some pavilion employee to find it and set it off inadvertently? The relative sophistication of the design might help point to likely sources- we wouldn't usually think of the Germans as very amateurish.

Also, the way the Germans documented everything in their files (even minutes of the infamous Wansee Conference), you'd think that researchers would have found some reference to it after the war, had operatives of the German government been responsible.

Who else was an enemy of the British?

Was the IRA active in the terrorism business in 1940?

I agree with you Randy, that the device malfunctioned, the suitcase contain several sticks of dynamite connected to an electrical timing device.

The police were disarming the bomb when they cut the wrong wire and the bomb detonated.

One of the luckier police officers was walking away from the bomb to give the chief of police Edward J. Quirk an update. The bomb went off and flung the officer into Quirk whose hat was blown off by the blast.

This blast was felt throughout the Fair; however, most Fair goers thought it was just one more aerial bomb that were going off for the holiday.

Side note, three months later, Chief of Police Edward J. Quirk suffered a cerebral hemorrhage on October 26 and died two days later, he was replaced by Captain William Kurppenbacher.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.....a massive manhunt-- virtually every German sympathizer and/or suspected member of a Bundist group anywhere near the city was rounded up for questioning.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dang Trey, I wish I'd have known this back when my Dad (a German immigrant) was still with us, as I'd have liked to ask him if he remembered this incident. He was still in NY then, working for Leica. Wonder if any of them were questioned. I believe he said he went to a couple of Bundes meetings, but discovered he had no use for these folks.

I wonder what led the police to suspect a German connection, besides the obvious, of course. British colonialism provided plenty of potential enemies.....and, as far as we know, nothing turned up in post-war German records about this. Wonder if anyone bothered to look? (I'm thinking an Abwehr-run operation).

Hi MB,

Corbis has a post-bombing photo, but it doesn't really show any damage...

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->© Corbis - U911571INP<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Crowd at Bomb Scene

Original caption: New York: New York's Mayor At Scene Of Bomb Explosion. Mayor La Guardia of New York City gets first hand information at scene of bomb explosion where two policemen were killed and five injured at the New York World's Fair tonight July 4th. The bomb which caused the carnage was discovered in the British Pavilion by an electrician who summoned police. Detective Frederick Yerlack (back to camera), who is talking to the Mayor here carried the bomb squad. The bomb squad men were examining the bomb in this service road behind the Polish Pavilion when it exploded. It was against the force in background that the blast occurred. Fragments of the bomb and other clues are in the box at the left. Police Commissioner Vallentine stands beside the Mayor who is seated on bumper of police car.

Classy looking luminaire pole on the right, eh? Wonder where they went...

<!--coloro:#ff0000--><span style="color:#ff0000"><!--/coloro-->© Corbis - U911571INP<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Hi Trey,

Using the locations displayed in Hoodlock's first newspaper clipping (Aug. 25th - 5:12am posting), I took the '39-40 Fair Renting Plan Map, and a recent image of FMCP from Google Earth, and came up with the following locations for where the bomb was found, and where it exploded...

post-4186-1234816524_thumb.jpgpost-4186-1234816597_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps...

Best Regards,

Kevin

Wow, Kevin-- that's absolutely fantastic-- thank you very, very much. The next time I'm in the park-- I'll be using your overlay to make a pilgrimage.

WOW Kevin! That's awesome!

You know, anyone could easily find those spots (even myself) with those maps/overlays.

Hey, I've got a dumb question. I have visited FMCP a few times myself, but have never ventured north of the Fountain of Planets area. What is that in the area just behind (looking from the Fountain of the Planets) the blue box indicating where the bomb was found? I'm sure it's probably nothing of interest (or if it is I'm sure it's general knowledge at PTU), but to my untrained eye I can't help but say that it kind of looks like the old, decaying bones of a long deserted, partially-demolished pavilion. I know that's impossible, but I'm not having an easy time figuring out just exactly what it IS.

What you are looking at are the foundations of the new swimming pool…well it was going to be.

A few years back the park department underwent a project to move the skating rink out of the New York City building, giving the space over to the Queens Museum.

What you see are the beginnings and the end of the sports complex.

In the photo below, you can see some steel poking up from the foundations. This photo taken in 2002, the area totally fenced in and I had to shot this through the fence.

Good question, Glen. I was wondering the same thing-- though from Kevin's overlay-- it looks like it must've been from the 64 fair (or afterward).

Hi Guys,

I assume you are referring to area circled in red in the top photo...

post-10-1235079590_thumb.jpg

This was a parade assembly area during the 1964-65 Fair, and there were no structures there at that time.

According to Bill Cotter, the remains are part of an ice skating rink that was going to be built in the park after the fair, but ran out of money...

<a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=4659&view=findpost&p=32095" target="_blank">http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...indpost&p=32095</a>

Best Regards,

Kevin

Thanks for filling in the blank, Hoodlock... even if Parks never managed to fill in the pool with water.

I'm almost afraid to ask about that one.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I assume you are referring to area circled in red in the top photo...This was a parade assembly area during the 1964-65 Fair, and there were no structures there at that time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kevin-- you're the undisputed "Aerial Lord of the Overlays" for both fairs!

Thanks Kevin and Hood,

I knew someone would be able to answer this question quickly. Funny that the Parks department would go through all the trouble of building something that would end up being abandoned and allowed to become an eyesore. Hmm...don't they already have something in the park that fits that bill? Something called the New York State Pavilion? Oooh, was that too bitter? I'm sorry, I suppose I should give them a chance. After all it has only been FORTY-ONE YEARS since the Fair closed. Alright, that's a subject for a different post. Let's get back to our perfect day in FMCP...

Follow up; the widows of Detectives Joseph Lynch and Ferdinand A. Socha were awarded $3,200.00 each. The award represents a year’s salary for each of the detectives. The widows also will receive $1,600 a year from the police pension fund.

The New York City Relief Fund gave them each $5,000.00 payable in monthly installments of $50.00.

Mrs. Lynch received a one-time payment of $550.00 from the Riot Relief Fund, $300.00 for her and the balance for her five children. Mrs. Socha received $300.00 from the fund.