Sign in to follow this  
Expo_Seeker40

Your perfect day in FMCP

Just trying liven some things up here. Unfortunatly I won't be able attend this year's SIP 2004, but I know sometime this summer I will be going to FMCP.

I have a good question for you all...

If time allowed us from our hectic lives, how would you spend your perfect day in FMCP?

Personally my perfect day would first have to be a cloudless, sunny day, and spending the day by myself. My perfect day would include sitting next to the fountain of the continents for hours fo r all I know, just hearing that water splash, and see the Unisphere glisten in the sun.

I'd probably gaze over at the NYS Pavilion, and walk up as close as I can to the towers, and look up, and still be amazed by their futuristic look.

A trip to the newly restored rocket park, or eating UNDER terrace on the park would satisfy my day.

I think my first visit to FMCP with SIP 2003, despite the misty conditions (though miraculously we were spared the rain hitting NJ!) will always rank as my perfect day because after reading so much about the Fair, I got to take a walk through the Park and hear informative descriptions from those who could point to every spot and describe what was once there in such exact detail.

Constructing a perfect day at the Fair itself, if I could go back and visit it and blend the elements of 64 and 65 I'd like to be there simultaneously (like riding the Magic Skyway in 65 with Walt's narration while being able to go to "To Broadway With Love") would present my biggest challenge.

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I think often about visiting Flushing Meadows. Sometimes I dream about it.

In my dreams I'm often caught at a subway station. Just outside fenced in windows; I see the Unisphere. I try to exit the station, but can't find a doorway. I find corridors that go on for miles. Sometimes I'm driving over a bridge, on the way to Flushing meadows, but somehow end up going in the wrong direction. Other times I make it to the park, and begin walking toward the Unisphere. I walk, and walk and walk, and never get to it's base.

A few times I've gotten to the edge of the park, and have seen many PTU members in the distance. I wave to them, and try to catch up to their group. I run, but I'm running in slow motion, and my legs don't seam to want to lift.

I think a perfect day for me at Flushing Meadows would involve actually getting to Flushing Meadows.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

My favorite post-Fair day was in 1989. It was Fall and the leaves were turning colors, which is something we don't get much of here in Los Angeles. I was able to walk through the park for a few hours and spent a lot of time inside the NY State pavilion. The fountains outside were all off, but other than that it was a beautiful fall day, with the place almost empty, just me and my camera.

Second best post-Fair day was SiP - met some wonderful people.

Bill

My Favorite Day was in 1986/87.I dont remember which year because I was in the NY/NJ area both years.It was in September.That I do remember.Like Bill said.It was only me,and my camera.No interuptions.No wife no kids.Free to take pictures

Only regret that I didnt take more pictures.

Regards,Dave

A perfect day in FCMP now? Hard to fathom - without the rides, shows, noise, and people. I guess I would imagine the millions upon millions of other feet that walked those same paths in 2 years time. I would probably go to where the cattle stalls were for the Futurama ride - since I spent much time there!

Last Sunday, I did my part for the future well-being of Flushing Meadows Corona Park

Mark Allen and I were over at Bell recreating a 1964 shot his mother had taken at the Fair. We were holding up photos printed out on clear mylar - looking through them to align lamp posts and the '39 flagpoles. (my idea, thank you very much)

A 20-ish fellow on a bicycle who had been spectating the soccer game became quite intrigued at our curious behavior (especially once we established that Mark's mother had taken the photo from about five feet from the edge of today's soccer field!)

Noticing his great interest, I invited him to look at the photos so he could see what the hubbub was about. When I pulled out the 8 x 10 color print of Bell - taken from the railing of the POI - and got through to him that this soccer field is exactly where this great pavilion had once towered, his face lit up with wonder.

I then showed him the shot we were recreating - a view across the Pool of Industry looking at GE and Tower of Light. When I pointed out the tall eagle flagpoles his face glowed with true amazement. I continued with shots of the Unisphere surrounded with the hustle and bustle of the fair and other shots he would recognize like the Rocket Thrower in 1964 and a great sky ride shot of the fountains, POI, Bell, etc.

The topper was an incredible view of NYS in it's full glory with the flags on the crown and the Kalwall colored roof. I thought the guy was going to wet himself!

Keep in mind that all of this is happening with almost no ability to communicate verbally, since I don't speak spanish and he understood very little english.

After seeing all the shots, he asked if he could BUY the print of Bell - where a couple hundred of his people were playing and watching soccer. Mark gave me the okay to give the Bell and NYS color prints to this fellow who was grinning in wonderment at what the park had once been.

As we walked away, I looked back to see him standing by the playfield proudly showing off the amazing photos to a crowd of people that had gathered around him.

I'd like to think that my little moment of ambasadorship might have some lasting impression on him and the people he shows these pictures to. There is no doubt in my mind that his life changed that day. At least HE would never look at FMCP the same way again. I commented to Mark that the guy was so happy that I wouldn't be surprised if those two photos ended up framed on his wall.

We forget that, to most folks in that park, it's just a park. They have no reason to realize its history. Sunday, I did my part to change that. Who knows, it may spark some interest or pride that didn't exist before Mark and I strolled into the midst of those soccer spectators.

My mother always says that "you never know which seeds you plant end up growing into something great."

I felt like I planted a seed that afternoon.

• Like 1

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I'm proud of you, Doug!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

A perfect day: Carrying two guidebooks (1939-40 and 1964-65) and exploring yesterday's tomorrow at on a cool, sun bathed June day in Flushing Meadow Park. I would also carry my family photographs and try to find the precise spot where I stood with my parents and sister near the Fountain of The Continents as someone, long ago, snapped our picture.

A comment a (few) day(s) late: I visit FMCP frequently as I live a few blocks away and I always feel like I missed something since I was born in Nov '64 and what's left of the fair still awes me. I can spend hours by the Unisphere as I did since I was a kid (the Unisphere was the logo for my old school - PS14 Corona) and it never ceases to amaze me. I envy those of you who visited the fair for even a day as it's something I can never do nor am I likely to see another WF in FMCP (I don't have much hope for 2015). I may not know the trivia, have a collection of old photos and memrbilia but growing up in it's shadow has made it a real part of me. PTU is the closest I can come to being at the '64 WF.

perfect day in FMCP?

going back in time to 64 and seeing everything.

but speaking in real life?

sitting in the park and walking around with all of you guys, i wanna meet you people!

PTU is the closest I can come to being at the '64 WF.

Don,

I'm glad some of the enthusiasm of those who were there can rub off on you. Be sure to visit NYWF64.com also, and please ask questions, as the folks here not only like showing off their knowledge, but really like it when new research topics arise.

Have you seen the 1964 Mustang at the World's Fair commercial?

<a href="http://www.vintagestang.com/html/multimedia.html" target="_blank">http://www.vintagestang.com/html/multimedia.html</a>

I think the opening and closing scenes with the Swiss Sky Ride cars going across is the best perspective on the Unisphere I have seen to give the impression of being there.

Wayne

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A perfect day: Carrying two guidebooks (1939-40 and 1964-65) and exploring yesterday's tomorrow at on a cool, sun bathed June day in Flushing Meadow Park.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jim nailed it for me... even though I'd probably spend a little more time glued to my 39 book... and also do something I've never done in FMCP... try to track down the exact spot where those brave NYPD officers were killed after saving the lives of untold hundreds by removing a bomb from the British Pavilion on 7/4/40. Sounds kinda morose, I know-- but it's hallowed ground.

-Trey

I did locate the spot, using the etchings at FMCP and the setting sun casting my shadow, a map from the NY Times and my training as a surveyor….this is the result.

Hi All,

I am lucky to have had mine. Sitting, smoking and thinking, alone for hours, in the "ancient" Aquacade with my loved one...with sunshine..and ice cream. Looking for that elusive but ever present high water mark in time.

Eric

Anyone seen my Pluto?

The perfect day for me in the real world was the SIP in 2003 when I made my first ever visit to the Fairgrounds and heard a fascinating description that helped me to pinpoint the exact spots for every locale, and gave me the chance to meet so many wonderful people.

The perfect day in the non-real world would be inventing a time machine and taking a number of day trips in it (letting me return to the present at the end of each day!) so I could see everything that was there over the course of both years.

Give me a sunny Wednesday in June, cloudless day. Just hiking around the park, go to the QMA, get some great pics of the Unisphere against the cloudless sky. Maybe hit the zoo or the Hall of Science. Line up at Shea for the bleachers around 4 or 5 PM as you get free bleacher seats at Shea for Wednesday night games!

Wow, Hoodlock... that's amazing. But can you be a little more specific for me? Which side of the fence-- the road side-- or the power tower side? Any way to identify the same spot using Google Earth or any current aerials? Appreciate any additional info you could offer!

I'll bet if you could find the 1940 law enforcement investigation files in some archive somewhere, they would include some pretty good sketches, photos, maps, etc., pinpointing the location relative to the Great Britain Pavilion.

You could then plot the GB Pavilion's 'footprint' on current maps using overlays like Kevin is good at, and triangulate some pretty accurate GPS coordinates for "the spot", probably within a foot or two. Then you just go out to FMCP with your handheld GPS and find it.

And the result? More likely than not you'll arrive at the exact location Hoodlock found!

perfect day in FMCP?

going back in time to 64 and seeing everything.

but speaking in real life?

sitting in the park and walking around with all of you guys, i wanna meet you people!

In the afternoon or evening, just look for some guy sitting by the unisphere or by the NYSP just looking up at them - that's me. I like the night time best as in the dark i can almost pretend the pavilions are there in the shadows. Even the view of the lit Unisphere at night from the fountain of the planets with the Rocket Thrower in front of it is spectacular !

Sheesh Don, every time I've been at the park, I'm always with a gaggle of folks, Fair fans, and we spend hours around the Unisphere. How could we have missed you?

I think it would take me a while to formulate exactly what would constitute a PERFECT day for me at FMCP (either now or during the Fair with the help of the time machine), but I'd like to share what would probably have to be my best experience there to date.

I wasn't born until 1969, so I am obviously not one of the privileged many who are actually able to say they attended the Fair. I didn't even become aware of, and interested in, the Fairs (39-40 and 64-65) until about 1999.

In November 2001 I was visiting New York City. It was the two month anniversary of September 11, so that fact weighed heavily on my mind. I visited Ground Zero of course. I also went to a postcard show at the New Yorker hotel and visited the Triple Pier Antique Show on the west side.

But the reason I am writing this is that this trip also marked my first visit to FMCP. I have been there on numerous occassions since and have become pretty familiar with the grounds. I also know alot more about the Fair now than I did back then. Still, I would have to call this first trip my best so far. It was the FIRST time I was able to gaze at the Hall of Science, Port Authority biulbing, NYC building, the NYSP and, of course, the Unisphere. The joy of discovery. How can I top that? After seeing all these things on postcards and brochures I was actually gazing on them in person!

How exciting it was to see the Unisphere looming in the distance as the subway approached the fairgrounds. Being new to the whole experience, I didn't realize that I would have had easy access to the park from the Shea Stadium stop on the 7. Instead I used the directions in a NYC guidebook which instructed me to get off the train at the 111th street stop for access to the Hall of Science. It took a little wandering, but I eventually made my way to the park. Using an old subway pocket map of the Fair I tried my best to navigate through all the history spread out before me. What a great experience. Even the mid-November weather was quite pleasant. No fountains were on of course, but that just gave me something new to enjoy in future visits during the Summer months. I took many photos and quite a bit of video with my camcorder so I could always remember my first visit to FMCP.

While many here at PTU have treasured memories of the Fair and others are lucky enough to live close enough to make frequent visits, I also realize that there are many who have never been able to get there at all yet. I'm glad to say that I have been there a few times over the past five years. Avyone who is planning on visiting the park for the first time should prepare themselves for a memorable experience.

It was August of 1998 and I was sitting in a rented Pontiac at three AM in the morning at the Hertz lot near LaGuardia Airport. My wife was to arrive from Charlotte at 9:00AM so I had time to try an idea that turned out to be quite an adventure.

With no map to guide me, intuition took me to the edge of FMCP on local streets and with some ingenuity, I discovered a pedestrian walkway into the park. I drove into the park on these walkways, finally arriving at the edge of the UNISPHERE on the western side. There were no others that I saw in the park (except a few pecking crows) as I found my way to the edge of the UNISPHERE pool.

It was an eerie experience in a way because there was only a dim sky in the background, so the silhouette of the UNISPHERE was really unique at that time of day. My photos did not come out so I have nothing to show for the trip except the indelible memory of that amazing structure high above me at four o'clock in the morning. A once in a lifetime experience is what I think it was!

Ray Dashner