Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Elsie the Cow

post-54-1206305317_thumb.jpgWF-Badge3.jpg[/attachment:fdb53]MarieTheresa-1.jpg[/attachment:fdb53]

I thought you might like to see a genuine BLC badge and a "then" and "now" photo. As you can see the badge doesn't designate where you work and the arrow makes it seem like a computerized entry and I can assure you it wasn't. A magnet maybe?

I can't believe that a "gangleflapper" still exists...anywhere! I was a treat to see them. How on earth did you get one? Were you there? And what's Randy and Bill's interest in the fair? California is a long way from NY.

I don't see a whole lotta diiference between now and then. You must have been doing some better living.

The short version of my own interest in the Fair is after numerous trips there while growing up in NY, it sparked an interest in working for Disney - and thus I'm in California!

Original Elsie ad from 1964 Official Guidebook~

elsie.jpg

Theresa, a belated thank-you for those fascinating stories! My BLC feature has been stuck in a state of limbo for a long time chiefly because I haven't found time to transcribe the "Elsie" show from the photocopied script I got at Yale so long ago, but these stories are very illuminating and will help a lot in giving a fuller picture of the pavilion.

In my serach for more info about Elsie and the fair, I can across the following:

"Paul Charles Castellanos Jr. died on Apr. 3, 2000, at Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center in Plainfield, N.J. He was 71.

After graduation from Princeton, class of 1950, Paul served in the navy for four years and then joined Borden, Inc., in marketing. He was Elsie the Cow's road manager for the next 16 years, including the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. Paul, a member of MENSA, also worked for Public Relations Society of America and was self-employed for 10 years.

Paul was a widower and is survived by three daughters, Karen C. Badalaty, Sandra Owen, and Diane C. Joest, and eight grandchildren."

that and i hear cows can't go down stairs.

easily solved- the BLC mostly used ramps for pedestrian traffic flow instead of stairs- visitors had to go up an elevator to the top floor and then come down all the ramps- they couldn't go straight to the second floor to see a specific exhibit.

But I'll bet they had a freight elevator too, for things like cows.

I got to admit after further examination and comparison with the other All About Elsie shots, I'm no longer as certain of it not being Elsie as I previously was, but if the Elmer show was in close enough proximity to the stage area where the Elsie show was, that would clear up any lingering confusion since the stage area looks to be the same. It's either Elmer for the Ark sideshow or Elsie for a number dealing with "French Ice Cream" that's indicated in the composition notes.

And the ship doesn't seem to match the newly posted Chemical Ark photo (in this topic: http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=10028&pid=81067&st=0&#entry81067 ). The stage curtains at the top of the picture match the last picture posted in this topic- the one discovered on flickr.com.

The Flickr image matches the beginning of the All About Elsie show script with the Social Secretary entering to tell Elsie about her schedule.

I remember seeing Elsie the Cow at Freedomland and was quite underwhelmed, so I didn't see her at the World's Fair.   It looked pretty much the same as it did at the World's Fair (from photos)  Did they have two Elsies doing double duty in '64?

From Wikipedia: (The Elsie the cow which was at the 1939 World's Fair) "she was born at Elm Hill Farm in Brookfield, Massachusetts."

That's 9.6 miles from where I live.

Wikipedia also states: A live cow representing Elsie appeared on stage at the Bordon's exhibit in the Better Living Center at the 1964 New York World's Fair in a musical revue with a score by Broadway composer Kay Swift." 

So I missed seeing........................a cow.