Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

Potpourri

"The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm" is the only other Cinerama title from the 60s I can think of besides "How The West Was Won."

(Not much of a post but I wanted to be the one to boost this thread to 100) smile.gif

-"America, Be Seated" was at Mike Todd's Theater Cafe in the Louisiana Pavilion;and

-"To Broadway With Love" was at the Music Hall of the Texas Pavilions.

Along with "Wonderworld" at the Amphitheatre, none of these were successful.

Live Broadway musical-type entertainment did not do well at this exposition.

I can think of at least one other Cinerama production, "Battle of the Bulge" (1965) I believe was done in the format.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 10-02-2002).]

Right you are, Eric. Those were the 2 features shot in "real" Cinerama. "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" was set to be next, but it was shot in Ultra-Panavision, anamorphic (!) 70mm, instead.

More than you ever wanted to know. biggrin.gif

Mr. One-Oh-One

Sorry Gene, no cigar this time. "Battle" was Ultra-Panavision also.

(This is a very common misconception, and only tech nerds like me would know, or care about, the difference.)

Cinerama, after those 2 features I mentioned, became a co-producer and exhibitor of movies shot in one of the 70mm processes. Their name was on the movie, and the roadshows played exclusively in Cinerama theaters, but the 3 panel process that made them famous was finished.

In the 70's, Cinerama Inc. degenerated into a distributor of low-budget horror films.

Recently, Pacific Theaters contracted the manufacture of new prints of "This Is Cinerama", and will be premiering these at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood this month.

(The Dome always reminded me of a NYWF pavilion. Wasn't it a Welton Becket design?)

[This message has been edited by Mike Kraus (edited 10-02-2002).]

Reading Jim Hill's great article on the failure of "To Broadway With Love", I think I'd be inclined to pick location as the ultimate factor for why it had no chance to succeed with so much else working against it. A high-class Broadway style production, which judging by the favorable reviews it received it was, just doesn't strike me as belonging in the Amusement Area.

Columbia Records did put out a cast album of the production which makes it one other WF related LP I'd love to track down (along with the "Holiday Of Light" LP).

Interesting about Cinerama. Does this company survive today in some form? I saw a presentation of the original "This Is Cinerama", Vienna Choir Boys, Coney Island roller coaster, and all at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York about 1974. Still looked pretty good then. I believe they installed the special screens required for proper presentation for that run only. Created a bit of a stir at the time but not enough to revive the format. I think it was inspired by a re-release shortly before of '50's 3-D classics which had done well.

As for "To Broadway With Love" one of the problems with it was that it charged a significant admissions fee when there were so many free attractions to visit. Here's some more info:

<a href="http://www.eur.com/musicals/rec.cfm?RNumber=1178" target="_blank">www.eur.com/musicals/rec.cfm?RNumber=1178</a>

Gene, what you saw could have been the 70mm print-down of "This Is Cinerama", as that was in distribution at the time. I could be wrong though.

Eric, the "to Broadway" LP shows up quite often on ebay, at reasonable prices. There's also a nice 8 x 11 program booklet you might watch for. The 2 "Tower" records are a different matter, however.

I know what you mean about the Tower record, and I'm kicking myself for not being agressive the last time I saw one come up on e-bay! At the time I hadn't yet realized how scarce they were compared to the gazillion Travelers LPs that are in such abundance on e-bay.

Mike,

You would know better as to whether the '70s re-release was a modified format but I do distinctly remember the curved "triptych" type screen arrangement and an accompanying illusion of depth at the Ziegfeld for that presentation.

You win the cigar this time, Gene! biggrin.gif

Found my "Cinerama Theaters Worldwide" document (finally), and looked it up. Here's the listing:

Ziegfield Theater -- New theater planned for Cinerama, but opened 12/17/1969 with flat 70mm screen.

Cinerama installed for "This Is Cinerama", 5/11/1973 to 8/12/1973, using 63' x 24' screen. Existing flat screen is 50' x 24'.

The Zieg is still "the" place to see 70mm in NYC, by all reports.

More trivia: Cinerama's first development studios, where it was born, is located in Oyster Bay, Long Island, 1947-1960. Building still there, was an estate, now a school (?) or something.

Mike,

Welton Becket did indeed design the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. Coincidentally, "This is Cinerama" opened there today in the original three screen configuration for a one week run. This is the first film to do so since the theater opened in 1963. Here's a link to a story in today's Los Angeles Times: <a href="http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-susan4oct04.story" target="_blank">http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-s...san4oct04.story</a> ......Bill

I thought I'd heard that, Bill. Thanks for the confirmation. I love his (their) work. Even the LAX Theme Center, in which he was involved, looks like a '64 Fair pavilion. Adore that place.

Considered going to the Dome this week, but didn't. Got my fix of Cinerama in Dayton, OH a few years ago.

Yet more off-topic trivia: The Cinerama Dome was designed for three-panel Cinerama, even had the 3 booths. But it opened just as IAMMMMW premiered, so they never installed the C-rama equipment. This week is indeed the first time in its existance that the Dome will exhibit the movies it was designed for.

Cool!

Mike,

Thanks for the cigar. I only wish they would show another Cinerama presentation there. Or at least one of the other formats from that era. There are enough film buffs in Manhattan to make this worthwhile. Hopefully the Angelenos will come out big for "This is Cinerama" and this will inspire the Ziegfeld, most definitely still the 70mm showcase in New York. It's the closest thing to a single-screen movie palace built here (maybe anywhere) after World War Two. Renovated in the '80s but with an eye to maintaining it's Broadway atmosphere.

Until the '80s the pre-war Rivoli Theater north of Times Square was its competition of sorts. I saw a re-release of "2001" there but it was on a flat screen. Along with the Ziegfeld, one of NYC's "first-run houses" complete with reserved seats when films really did have first runs.

There was a theater called the Cinerama on West 42nd Street until the '70s. I believe "2001" premiered there in 1968.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 10-05-2002).]

Now you can own the device that mesmerized me at the Christian Science Pavilion all for just $3.99 + S&H

<a href="http://www.bitsandpieces.com/product.asp?id=0212492268369219155819&sku=08-W7520&dept_id=44&type=catshop" target="_blank">http://www.bitsandpieces.com/product.asp?i...44&type=catshop</a>

What appeared to be a gold nugget was used at the Fair instead of the pig.

That's actually $16.99 and another $3.99 if you want it giftwrapped.

But what an AMAZING illusion!!!

One of my clients has one of these on his desk with a penny in it and you'd SWEAR the penny is floating above the pan in mid-air!

Hood, I can see why you were mesmerized by it. I'm sure a lot of visitors were.

If y'all haven't seen this effect, have somebody get you this gizmo for Christmas. It certainly is an amazing conversation piece - and well worth the $16.99 price of admission!