Ken

1940 - Lisbon, Portugal - Portuguese World Exposition

Two links to some great photos of the 1940 Portuguese World Exposition in Lisbon, Portugal....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/biblarte/albums/72157621817098955

https://www.flickr.com/photos/biblarte/albums/72157606234802424/with/2679900954/

image.thumb.png.3c51fa4b05198e481e0c75d8131e8879.png

image.thumb.png.344c18a1461f81c116a0d01bee6bb3f5.png

image.thumb.png.3e5ef4f3bb8804303b54554bad4d0b4c.png

Thanks - very nice

All the photos in those links that include people (and others I find on line) seem to be of events filled with dignitaries and few or none with regular fair goers. Wiki says the attendance was 3 million. Does anyone know the actual situation due to the war?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icedstitch said:

It looks like it was about 4 city blocks long.

It was actually much larger than that....here is the site plan....

SitePlan.jpg

The info I found indicates this was an exposition where only Portuguese colonies and independent Brazil were invited to participate.  The info also stated that the 1940 NYWF was a “trade fair.”  Well, that’s what the internet site said but I don’t believe it!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim said:

The info I found indicates this was an exposition where only Portuguese colonies and independent Brazil were invited to participate.  The info also stated that the 1940 NYWF was a “trade fair.”  Well, that’s what the internet site said but I don’t believe it!!!

Technically speaking, most World's Fairs were considered "international industrial expositions" until the 1960's, since they featured and promoted new commercial products, machinery, inventions, etc.

AdvertisingPoster2.jpg

While industry plays a large role in the great expositions, I don't think that equates them with the concept of a trade fair.  The greatest fairs attracted significant international participation.  Trade fairs remind me of that so-called "Kitchen Debate" when Vice President Nixon had an impromptu debate with Soviet Premier Khrushchev in Moscow in 1959. They debated who made the most and best appliances and machinery at a Moscow Trade Fair full of displays of that stuff. They stood in a model kitchen and argued about refrigerators and ovens. That's quite different from an event that hosts significant numbers of nation states highlighting their history, culture, political systems, future goals and achievements.  The 1939 NYWF was no trade fair.  It really was an international exposition with sixty nations participating in some significant form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

While industry plays a large role in the great expositions, I don't think that equates them with the concept of a trade fair.  The greatest fairs attracted significant international participation.  Trade fairs remind me of that so-called "Kitchen Debate" when Vice President Nixon had an impromptu debate with Soviet Premier Khrushchev in Moscow in 1959. They debated who made the most and best appliances and machinery at a Moscow Trade Fair full of displays of that stuff. They stood in a model kitchen and argued about refrigerators and ovens. That's quite different from an event that hosts significant numbers of nation states highlighting their history, culture, political systems, future goals and achievements.  The 1939 NYWF was no trade fair.  It really was an international exposition with sixty nations participating in some significant form.

I agree that calling the 1939 NYWF a "Trade Fair" was an error, but I was referring to the name of the very first World's Fair - London 1851 - which was officially "The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations"....thus the international industrial expositions reference. :-)

I see your point, Ken.

Industry generally refers to manufacturing.  But it also means diligence and dedicated work.  Once other cities hosted fairs (19th Century) and got out of the copycat Crystal Palace business and turned their expositions into an actual community dedicated to a theme, they were far from away from a trade fair.  Something entirely new was created.

• Like 1