sunguar

Need Help From Former and Current PTU Members

9 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Well, it's a lot easier for me to invite people to my house here in LA than it would be for me to invite them to someone else's house like yours.

Well that I agree upon.   

I guess I was thinking about meeting in Flushing Meadows and touring the park.

Yes, that would be fun. Some folks on Facebook are talking about doing that in the Spring. When things firm up I'll post something here.

Bill's point I think hits the nail on the head.    For some of us, it's hard to sustain the same level of pro-active enthusiasm over such a long period of time.    I still check in and post on occasion but because I'm pretty much tapped out in terms of researching and writing feature pieces that Bill kindly put on his wonderful site, the "hunger" if you will has kind of faded and I don't have the sense of new mountains to conquer in terms of what I can learn about the Fair (unless someone were to find some pictures in the BLC of the Sunshine Biscuits exhibit given my family connection to that!) that I haven't absorbed thanks to the wonderful efforts of Bill, Bill Cotter and those who were there who provide me, someone born four years after it closed with the necessary context.       But I always keep the door open to be surprised and check things out and sometimes, it's great to see new members share things with us like the audio recordings of certain attractions that even Ray hadn't done a couple years ago.     So while I may not be too pro-active, I'll always keep looking in!

Much thanks to those who continue to post new & interesting things.

I'm also on board for a meeting in FMCP in the spring, which should arrive sometime in August, based on this fall.

Craig, I see you joined on September 10, 2000.  I think that's the date I joined this site as well.  My god, that's over 18 years ago.  Ooops--just checked.  I joined September 11, 2000.

• Thanks 1

I love this community. Its members are passionate about world's fairs and the combined knowledge stored here is vast and deep.

The passion is a double-edged sword and eventually it wore me out. Occasionally things got negative, heated. People disagree with the choices you make. Some people stop talking to you. Some people end up hating you. Over the years the hobby started feeling more like a job and my passion waned. I'd look through old posts and wonder if I'd made the right decisions. My social visits became less frequent. I'd check in to ensure everything was running and not recognize the people posting. That's when I decided to hand the site over to Bill C.

Like many have previously stated, the community is still here and vital. Nearly two decades after Bill Y. invited me to join him. That's something to celebrate and be proud of!

• Like 3

I just want to thank you again, Marc-- for funneling your passion into the original PTU-- for inviting me to be an Admin-- and for graciously allowing Bill to carry the site forward.  I don't post as much as I used to, either. But man, oh man, am I glad the World's Fair Community is still around.

• Like 2

Again, I have to thank former and current members. 

You should be proud of what you have created.  It takes a special kind of dedication.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Jim said:

Craig, I see you joined on September 10, 2000.  I think that's the date I joined this site as well.  My god, that's over 18 years ago.  Ooops--just checked.  I joined September 11, 2000.

Jim, I guess that makes us both members of the old timers club.

I, too, often come to the site and enjoy all the posts. I don’t comment much, but, like T.V.’s Mr Ed, I don’t speak unless I have something to say. One thing I do have to say is how much I appreciate the site and am so happy to have it here!

I do find that the ardent passion has transformed, for me, to a happy, comfortable, warmth.  I stopped collecting NYWF items about a decade ago, when I acquired the Christian Science pavilion skylight that is now being reconstructed in my back yard (news on that as it happens – right now it’s a replacement glass and gasket supply question), but that has reinvigorated my passion, but on a different level. Likewise, I spend most of my late fall through spring evenings in my basement, where I am surrounded by my collection, among other things, which gives me the warm fuzzies, if not the mind bending, heart thumping exhilaration I used to feel when approaching the main entrance gate in 64/65. (I use to HAVE to jump up and down while run-walking to the gate, such was my excitement – ah, to recapture that !)

Now I am still given gifts all the time by folks (both friends and strangers) who know of and appreciate, if not share, my passion and interest. And as it happens, one of the most wonderful gifts I have ever received is one I got this Christmas, a present from a very excellent watercolorist friend, who has created a gorgeous, impressionistic watercolor of the Tower of Light to accompany my Uncle Ben figure. I share it here because , among other things, this is the community that appreciates and understands how significant these things are, if not to the world, at least to us. 

And I do have this to say – thanks to everyone involved in the site, from moderators to posters and lurkers like myself. You have certainly made my last 18 years better, more interesting and entertaining  and fulfilling. 

45584486334_dfc258827e_k.thumb.jpg.9a7230f8462fe614ebf48a3ab8891af1.jpg45584504154_7c6bc4ea35_k.thumb.jpg.04cb3cf62fe1a59c03ec662d3b60e0d3.jpg