Bill Cotter

Some views of the Chrysler Turbine Car

I don't recall a picture of this display area before. The fabled Chrysler Turbine Car. July 1965.

chrysler-turbine-display.jpg

Can the employee look any less excited about being there?

Peeking inside the Chrysler Turbine Car. July 1965.

chrysler-turbine-engine-3.jpg

Here's the Chrysler turbine engine displayed at the Peterson Auto Museum in Los Angeles, next to one of the cars.  I wonder if this engine could be the same that was on display at the World's Far in one of the above pictures?

turbine_engine.jpg

19 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

chrysler-turbine-display.jpg

Can the employee look any less excited about being there?

My experience working at the science museum and various trade shows makes me critical of what I see. This picture illustrates a situation that is very poor operationally:

The display is open on 3 (or probably 4) sides, so should have two representatives on duty to keep an eye out in all directions; one should stand while another sits outside the ropes on a stool to interact with the public. Makes me wonder if this is lunch time and this guy is just watching the car while those who know what they're doing are at lunch. 

There should be at least three persons rotating into the two slots at 15 minute intervals - the employees could then legitimately be chastised for leaning on the car (standing in one place for an extended time is torture). Whoever is #3 wanders nearby, or with notice to the others, takes a bathroom break (or probably a smoking break in those days).

There should be signage on the engines saying something about them, and a sign directing people to get more info (like a brochure) at an info booth. (Maybe there's info on the outside of the sign panel, but from this side there's nothing).

So there's my very, very late Monday morning quarterbacking.  Anyone from Chrysler reading this, feel free to place a note in the World's Fair file. ;)

P.S. It just struck me that Bill Cotter might offer some comments on how Disney might have handled this.

22 hours ago, waynebretl said:

P.S. It just struck me that Bill Cotter might offer some comments on how Disney might have handled this.

We're actually looking at the first Disney Audio-Animatronic figure advanced enough to be granted union membership :-)

Chrysler was my family's first stop at the Fair.  I still have the VIP badge they gave to visitors but I don't remember a great deal about the exhibit itself.