Larry L

Some of my 64-65 worlds fair stuff

That's  my final paystub from the last week of the fair.  I worked a lot of overtime that week.   My pay was 2.80 an hour,  time and a half for overtime.  My usual shift was 3 to midnight.

My admission passes for both years.   They didn't  put photos on drivers licenses or ID  cards yet back then.

An award for safe driving.   They didn't  know about me crashing my glidearide into Dempsey Dumpsters and things.  They didn't  know about a lot of things.  Or did they...?

Worlds Fair stuff.jpg

Long ago I was told that Greyhound at the Worlds Fair was a separate  corporation from Greyhound and all their records were destroyed.

Thanks.  I noticed payroll was handled by ADP, so I looked up their history out of curiosity. They began in New Jersey in 1949. They have a comprehensive timeline on their web site, mentioning contemporary events, but it doesn't mention the Fair.

I guess most places didn't  bother to save the records from such an ephemeral event.  We drivers were also in a union, the amalgamated transit workers.

My conscience is bothering me.   I'll  come clean.   I altered that safe driving award from 1 to 2 years.   I thought it might look good for future job applications,  but I never used it anyway.  After the fair closed I traveled the world,  and then went to college in January 1967, something I hadn't  planned on doing (I graduated high school in June 1960).    While in college I worked part time as a taxicab driver on the night shift,  and used my commercial bus driver license from the WF to drive a school bus some weekends.

Larry, I remember my Dad talking to the bus driver (heck, It could have been you) trying to get a lead on the hot spots to visit at the Fair.   I think he was following the old adage similar to: "talk to the cab drivers, they know all the good spots".  What ever advice he got from the bus driver turned out to be pretty good.  I don't think we missed a major exhibit.  

" What ever advice he got from the bus driver turned out to be pretty good"

It must have been someone else he talked to then.  :)   It bugged me then how everybody asked me questions. Now of course i wish i could go back in time and do it again,  just for one day.   I remember that man who approached me when i was driving the gar in 64 and said whistfully that he drove one of those in the last fair,  25 years before in 39. I made some smart aleck response.  Anyway,  i'm  glad you had a good time and got to see everything,  which was more  than i did!