OK, the publisher has a new suggestion for the front cover of my new book. Here is Version F. Please share your thoughts on this one!

version-f.jpg

I like it.

What do you think of adding a white glow around the title block (as if the title block were hiding the sun)? The clouds are a bit too blotchy to really frame it, to my eye.

Hi Bill,

This looks like a variation of the "C" previously shown? The part of the image carried around to the back cover says very little - a missed opportunity. I think that, when folded, this cover composition will be very unbalanced and heavy on the left side:

Folded Arcadia cover design.jpg

I still like the one I designed the other day. It is a rough mock up but I managed to insert a full second image on the back so it works alone, and the cover title block seems supported by the Helicline, sort of uplifting, looking up to the future (the Fair goers descending).

COVER REDUX 18 ©EKL.FINALmockupJPEG.jpg

Now that I see magikbilly's cover, I like it best. The geometric forms with tiny people looks mysteriously intriguing (what is the purpose of these structures?), bringing the question of the nature of tomorrow to mind: utopian or dystopian?

2 hours ago, waynebretl said:

Now that I see magikbilly's cover, I like it best. The geometric forms with tiny people looks mysteriously intriguing (what is the purpose of these structures?), bringing the question of the nature of tomorrow to mind: utopian or dystopian?

Thanks Wayne. To your point - indeed! I was watching THX1138 while composing it. The first few minutes show an old "Buck Rogers" serial coming attraction, and then the dim/bleak film proper ("reality") starts with so much geometry and contrast. When I did cover consultation work with Tempus and others they did not have this stipulation re wraparound. I don't understand it - the spine text will indeed be printed correctly either way so it must be some formatting brand-regularity thing? Why lose the potential of showing a second image on the back cover that could serve sales and aesthetics even more? As Bill said, unfortunate.

PS - I guess it is hard to see but the back cover is actually construction as well. See scaffold on Trylon.

Still the best IMO

6 minutes ago, icedstitch said:

what's that shiny stuff under the walkway?

The underside of the Helicline was mirrored/plated to give it that shiny look.

7 hours ago, icedstitch said:

what's that shiny stuff under the walkway?

I believe it to be highly polished United States Steel sheeting provided by one of its subsidiaries, such as the National Tube Company, which supplied the Helicline's steel tubes. The Trylon was supplied by the Elmira, N.Y. plant of the American Bridge Company. The Perisphere's 2,050 tons of steel was fabricated at the Ambridge, Pennsylvania plant of the American Bridge Company. The underside surface shows well in this Kodachrome taken after 10 PM - when enlarged you can see how they are fixed:

PTU T&P Night 1939 © EKL 18.jpg

• Like 1

PS - I see my gamma is off; the cover appears too light to me here. Bill, if this image file is needed I have it saved, scanned and restored, as a HUGE tiff file from when I did the illustrations and color corrections for the National Building Museum catalog/architecture text Designing Tomorrow.

For those who work hard correcting the color in the old slides

peanuts sky blue grass green.jpg

I like the publisher's suggestion. It provides a pleasant combination of human sculptures and the soaring familiar mechanical icons. It has the quality of gently leading the eye into the picture and to this and that pleasant object.

My contributions aside, I think "C"  is the best cover offered. This current image, F,  is only barely balanced, and I say that that of the full image, not folded. Once folded...only "C" works

I think "C" is the "final answer" in this equation.

My last suggested cover may appear, to some, as distorted on the lower left, but that is the vantage and scale of the object speaking. Quite loudly I should think. 

If a color version follows, will the cover be restrained to this sepia wraparound format? 

The version posted here, F, is what it's going to be. The publisher has ruled. I liked C better as an image myself, but some testing did show confusion between C and the original volume. We had exchanged thoughts on adding something like "Volume 2" or other wording but apparently many retailers don't care for that. WIth limited shelf space they are likely to only carry the newer volume, and the thought that someone is missing out on it seems to make them wary about buying a "sequel" when they don't have the original as well. The company has had a lot of success in this area so I will bow to their expertise.

If a color volume ever develops the cover will be in color. And start an image search all over again!

Thanks again to everyone for their input!!