Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

The (non) saga of Maryland

I came across something interesting while working on my book. Here's the first draft of an entry:

"How would it feel if you built a pavilion and no one noticed? That’s what the builders of the Maryland pavilion must have asked themselves, as for some reason it didn’t appear in the guidebooks for either season. Even worse, the only press coverage found was a story about 1,000 residents of the state traveling to New York to visit the fair. Whatever was in the building didn’t draw much attention to the state."

Anyone have any idea why the low key approach, or any information on the pavilion?

maryland.jpg

Where was this located?  It doesn't appear to be in the Court of States.  I recognize the Maryland flag  and see Maryland on the wall but that looks like Spanish influenced Southwest style architecture.  It makes little sense.  Was the building originally constructed for some other purpose?

Bill, there is a souvenir aluminum cup (for sale on eBay) with a scenes of a Chesapeake Bay Wharf on one side and a recipe for crab cakes on the other.  While it's labeled for sale as a 1939 item, I'm not so sure.  I think it's 1964.  The images of the people look more 1960s to me.

The NYPL records list has multiple references to Maryland, but the architecture in this picture sure is peculiar.  Is there any possibility this picture actually is from some other fair?

I believe this was in the Court of States area. There was some strange architecture in there. The Arkansas pavilion looked very much like this one, for example. I found mention of Maryland Day both seasons, and the newspaper sold at the fair mentions the state visitors go to the "Maryland Exhibit" where they were entertained by the Maryland Commission.

Jim, I agree, that cup is from 1964-65.

It does not appear in the Court of States on my 1939 or 1940 maps.

It does not appear here either:  www.1939nyworldsfair.com   (1939 New York World's Fair:  Building The World of Tomorrow, Preserving The World of Yesterday)

This map lists Maryland in the legend as in area C-2, but its location doesn't seem to be printed on the map.

map_1940_small.jpg

Wayne, for a second or two I thought it was there on Rainbow Avenue next to Washington State.  But that is MO.--Missouri.  There's just no sign of it on the 1940 map.  There appear to be several unlabeled buildings between Arkansas and Tennessee, however.

Yea, I second with Jim... before I read his post.  I'd wager it's between Tennessee and Arkansas given what I see as a landmark for the arches in the photo.

Who P.O.'ed the map maker?  Was someone's palm not greased?

Maryland is right across the street from Missouri, just to the left of Arkansas according to this map. 

1940 worlds fair map.jpg

thanks

That's pretty much what I guessed.  The Fair maps must have been transient creations.  What might have been accurate in March of 1939, for example, might have changed by opening ay.

On 6/3/2018 at 4:06 PM, Bill Cotter said:

Thanks, Mark. Where is that map from? I'd love to get a full-sized copy if possible!

Hi Bill,

It was the back page to a 4 page publication featuring an article about my grandfather, Les Rounds,  who was organizing Coffee Day. Here's pages 1 to 3.  Enjoy! 

Mark

1939-08-30 Worlds Fair page 1.jpg

1939-08-30 Worlds Fair page 2.jpg

1939-08-30 Worlds Fair page 3.jpg

Great Fair tie-in!